Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Winter Storm Warning

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Winter Storm Warning

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-21, 12:16 PM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
Winter Storm Warning

Boston is expecting an ice storm tonight that could result in a glaze of ice on the roads. It sounds like it will be worse west of 128.
Old 02-15-21, 01:23 PM
xyz
Banned.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6072 Post(s)
Liked 894 Times in 712 Posts
Warning? Wouldn't this be called something else for this group? A big ice storm would be great for riding studs and the roads would be empty.
Likes For xyz:
Old 02-15-21, 01:50 PM
parkbrav

Originally Posted by xyz
Warning? Wouldn't this be called something else for this group? A big ice storm would be great for riding studs and the roads would be empty.
ZING! Hahaha you got me!

The local ABC affiliate here in Boston showed a pick up truck in Texas (same storm) attempting to drive out their driveway into a sheet of ice. When the truck entered the road way, it completely lost control and started sliding away. Scary. Now attempt that on a bicycle, with or without the studs.
Old 02-15-21, 01:56 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
we had a ice storm here in Portland. first freezing rain that melted then freezing rain on top of that. several inches. it was like trying to walk in super soft sand where cars churned it up otherwise you could walk on top of it. but I don't have a bike that can handle it .
Old 02-15-21, 02:00 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2603 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts
I think "warning" means that if you were planning to hop on a bike and ride south to avoid the ice and snow, you're too late.
Old 02-15-21, 02:25 PM
xyz
Banned.

Originally Posted by parkbrav
ZING! Hahaha you got me!

The local ABC affiliate here in Boston showed a pick up truck in Texas (same storm) attempting to drive out their driveway into a sheet of ice. When the truck entered the road way, it completely lost control and started sliding away. Scary. Now attempt that on a bicycle, with or without the studs.
With studs it would be no problem. With studs you would have better traction than you would on dry pavement as long as there wasn't a thick layer of snow on top of the ice. Studs rule.

Last edited by xyz; 02-15-21 at 02:39 PM.
Likes For xyz:
Old 02-15-21, 03:01 PM
parkbrav

Originally Posted by xyz
With studs it would be no problem. With studs you would have better traction than you would on dry pavement as long as there wasn't a thick layer of snow on top of the ice. Studs rule.
I admit, there is a temptation to over-rely on technology like studded snow tires.

https://abcnews.go.com/Travel/video/...essee-75900098

Consider, for example, the following:

https://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cycling/1161182-first-wipeout-season-video.html

Post from the same thread:

Originally Posted by Daniel4
It probably won't be your last spill. Studs definately decrease your risk but you might take a turn somewhere too quickly and with too much confidence or you might accidentally hit an ice bank of 45degrees.

Last edited by parkbrav; 02-15-21 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-15-21, 03:52 PM
xyz
Banned.

Originally Posted by parkbrav
I admit, there is a temptation to over-rely on technology like studded snow tires.

https://abcnews.go.com/Travel/video/...essee-75900098

Consider, for example, the following:

https://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cycling/1161182-first-wipeout-season-video.html

Post from the same thread:
It's so much extra work to ride with knobbies and studs, plus the cold, that I am not going fast enough to worry about that. To me, just riding on them makes it pretty obvious you need to take care when turning, just from the feel. I mean, hitting even a small snowbank when turning can make you become very unsteady, any tight turn has me getting set to detach my foot from the pedal. The snow is far worse than the ice, with a flat sheet of ice you have little to worry about.
Old 02-15-21, 04:13 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
Weather forecasts are driving me crazy this winter.

Last night the forecast for this morning was snow (.3-.7cm each hour) before the big storm later in the day. So I figured I couldn’t get out with my non winter ready 40mm tires. Slept in, planned to hike. Well at 8:30am it was snowing lightly but no accumulation so I went out. Had fun but kept it short as I didn’t want to get caught in heavy snow an hour from home. It’s 5pm and still hasn’t snowed. I would have planned a 3hr ride if the forecast = the actual.