Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Stripping paint from an aluminum frame using a heat gun

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-21, 05:14 AM
Jeco

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi! I have an aluminum frame which I want to strip the paint off of. I won't be repainting the bike, so I want to preserve the bare aluminum finish and not use any abrasives.

I was wondering if it's a good idea to use a heat gun to strip the paint off. If I use the heat gun on its hottest setting, would it damage the frame? The frame is aluminum. Should I grab a can of paint stripper instead?

I've already tried using the heat gun on its lowest setting to strip some of the paint off. It softens the paint just enough so that you scrape it off with a plastic razor blade, but this doesn't always work on all sections of the frame. I may have to crank the heat up

Last edited by Jeco; 04-27-21 at 05:26 AM.
Old 04-27-21, 05:26 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 130 Posts
Use paint stripper. Also - use abrasives to polish, finish it off with automotive wheel polish.
Likes For Viich:
Old 04-27-21, 05:41 AM
Jeco

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Viich
Use paint stripper. Also - use abrasives to polish, finish it off with automotive wheel polish.
Thanks, Viich! Love how your bike looks.

Also, did you use power tools like a buffing machine to polish your bike or did you just do it by hand?
Old 04-27-21, 05:48 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
If it's a welded frame, I wouldn't worry about the heat. An adhesive-bonded frame could be a concern.
Old 04-27-21, 07:26 AM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
Sounds like a bad idea to me. Manufacturers heat the frames to reduce the stress of uneven heating in assembly, and the temps they use aren't as high as your gun, so the gun is going to undo what they did, building in stresses that don't belong there that you can't remove:
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/To-the...um-Frames.html
Old 04-27-21, 07:41 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
It's far safer for the frame for you to use a chemical stripper. It will not affect metal, just the paint. You can clean it off with a soft cloth. Some types can be rinsed off with water but others might require a final cleaning with paint thinner. Best to do it out-of-doors and wearing protective gloves. Read and follow the instructions on the can and you will be fine.
Old 04-27-21, 07:44 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Aircraft grade paint stripper, it's made to strip aluminium....
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 04-27-21, 08:45 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 614 Posts
Look at "old shovel" on YouTube; he uses something that really facilitates the operation.
Old 04-28-21, 05:53 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Originally Posted by Jeco
Thanks, Viich! Love how your bike looks.

Also, did you use power tools like a buffing machine to polish your bike or did you just do it by hand?
No power tools. Varying grades of steel wool, down to wheel polish and a rag.
Old 04-28-21, 09:47 AM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
I would say after the paint is off an aluminum frame, don't do abrasives - if you don't want it polished, just bare, then follow the advice on this Black Mountain Cycles page here as recommended by Charlie Cunningham:
https://blackmtncycles.com/care-for-...luminum-frame/

It works, as even if you don't have any corrosion to worry about, it will prevent it. The Fluid Film smells like a sheep, but it's worth it!

Yeah, I know, mismatched wheels...
Old 04-30-21, 03:39 AM
Jeco

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Charliekeet
I would say after the paint is off an aluminum frame, don't do abrasives - if you don't want it polished, just bare, then follow the advice on this Black Mountain Cycles page here as recommended by Charlie Cunningham:

It works, as even if you don't have any corrosion to worry about, it will prevent it. The Fluid Film smells like a sheep, but it's worth it!

Yeah, I know, mismatched wheels...
Many thanks for the advice, Charliekeet! I was going to use just car wax to protect the aluminum but Fluid film seems to be a much better idea.
Likes For Jeco:
Old 04-30-21, 03:42 AM
Jeco

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Many thanks for the advice, everyone!

I already stripped the paint off using some generic paint stripper. Compared to using the heat gun, it was a messier job but it worked well and faster too.

I actually bought the heat gun for the sole purpose of stripping the paint. Now, I have to find a use of this hahaha. Remind me not to impulse buy tools
Old 05-02-21, 12:29 PM
Viich
Hack

Originally Posted by Jeco
Many thanks for the advice, everyone!

I already stripped the paint off using some generic paint stripper. Compared to using the heat gun, it was a messier job but it worked well and faster too.

I actually bought the heat gun for the sole purpose of stripping the paint. Now, I have to find a use of this hahaha. Remind me not to impulse buy tools
If you'd had any decals it would have been very useful for removing them.....

Do we get to see pictures?
Old 05-02-21, 12:49 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Heat guns are not designed to be used to strip paint, you're using a wrong tool for the job...Use a chemical stripper or have some shop sand blast it for you.
Old 05-02-21, 04:45 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
5 years ago I was trying to clean up my mum's old frying pans. I put a bunch of laundry detergent in the sink and really hot water.
The paint disappeared on the alu pans. LOL. Didn't do a thing for the baked grease.
Later I painted some DIY CF stuff, then changed my mind. Did the same method with soap. Took longer, but it worked out.

Long before that, I had some old cedar fence posts to de-paint. I used a heat gun just fine. There are made for that, actually. Won't work with metal probably.
I have used them to heat up the garage some in the winter too. LOL. And heated up the windshield a few times on super cold mornings.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 05-02-21 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-03-21, 01:50 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Heat guns are not designed to be used to strip paint, you're using a wrong tool for the job...Use a chemical stripper or have some shop sand blast it for you.
Who knew, not Makita, since they supplied my head gun in a box with a variety of paint scraping tools....
Likes For Trevtassie: