mister

Bikes: Checkpoint SL 7.5, FX 4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Pinole Routes?

Howdy!

I live in Santa Rosa and I値l be starting a new job out in Pinole soon. I知 looking for some 15 - 30 mile route ideas I can do either before or after work. I ride a Checkpoint, so road, gravel, or mixed terrain options are fine.

I checked out routes on Ride With GPS and found this loop that looks like a good option. Anyone ride this that can give some feedback on it?

TIA!
Old 05-28-21, 07:31 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,601 Posts
That's a nice route. There are some rural folks who drive kind of fast during the evening commute though, and that can get a little dicey... they're certainly used to seeing cyclists.

Here's a little bit more of a classic East Bay ride that includes the PROVERBIAL Pig Farm Hill, make sure you do it in this direction even though it starts in Martinez.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/69590

And for the views, you should check out Carquinez Scenic Straight.

Welcome.

It is my duty to suggest you also ride Mount Diablo... let me know if you need directions.
Old 06-02-21, 07:42 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked 2,492 Times in 1,190 Posts
They are finishing Castro Ranch rd repaving. Gives you access to San Pablo dam rd for the 3 bears loop or Wildcat over to Arlington and back around via SP dam rd. Also the bridge to bridge ride over the Carquinez through Benicia and back around through Martinez. Shorter ride out to Pt Pinole. It has a nice mixed surface trail around the perimeter. You work for Kaiser?
Old 06-02-21, 09:42 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 317 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Here's a little bit more of a classic East Bay ride that includes the PROVERBIAL Pig Farm Hill
Scott is really showing his age here. In the early 1970痴 when I was doing this route the pig farm was a real thing. There was an actual, and smelly, farm at the top of the hill that featured a bunch of pigs. Getting to the top was a real relief when you started down and got a breeze going. Fresh air. Here we are now some 50+ years later and some people still use that name. Can you believe it?
Old 06-02-21, 10:33 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,601 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
Scott is really showing his age here. In the early 1970痴 when I was doing this route the pig farm was a real thing. There was an actual, and smelly, farm at the top of the hill that featured a bunch of pigs. Getting to the top was a real relief when you started down and got a breeze going. Fresh air. Here we are now some 50+ years later and some people still use that name. Can you believe it?
DiabloWife wife grew up in El Sobrante and she said the schools used to do field trips there to look at pigs.
I grew up in Iowa... pig to human ratio is 7:1.

I never saw pigs there - but the "pig sale" sign was up until the mid '90s or so.
"Pig Farm and The Bears" will bring a smile to any old time Bay Area rider's face.
Old 08-30-21, 09:36 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked 2,492 Times in 1,190 Posts
How that ride go?