Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Have you ever just left without a destination?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 08-24-21, 08:23 PM
Jasongrace313

Bikes: 82 John Howard built by Dave Moulton, 06 Lemond Croix de Fer, 85 trek 620, Trek Fx 7.2, Giant escape 2, Gt Karakoram, Electra Townie 7D,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 34 Posts

Today I received some new panniers for a touring rig I’ve been “hodgepodging” together and once I cleaned them up and mounted them I thought “just go”. A little background I’ve traveled the country since 2007 for work, from edge to edge. Anyway, looking at my bike I felt an urge to just take off and figure it out once I’m there. Have you ever done this? What was it like?
No, I have never traveled by bicycle before. And don’t really have a destination or reason to go anywhere, (other than the obvious stir craziness this last year has brought) I didn’t take off. I have some tweaks to the bike left to do and some business that requires me to be home but, I’d really love to hear any stories of you may have of throwing it all to the wind and just hitting it.
Old 08-24-21, 08:31 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
No.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-24-21, 08:39 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
So you want a bit of a coddiwompl? I've done it a couple times and just wandered but unfortunately now I'm constrained by the needs of wife and kids whereas I couple only wander a couple days as I was constrained by my lack of finances and the need to eat. Can hop on a rail trail or similar and just go ride for a couple days, just camp as you go.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 08-24-21, 10:10 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 339 Posts
I tried it once. I rode much too far and was too exhausted to enjoy the evening.
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 08-25-21, 01:21 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
I did two international trips that were loops, I had to get back to my starting point by a certain time to make my flight home. One of those trips I meandered about for roughly three weeks and then used the remaining week to get back to the starting point. The other trip, I had a generalized route plan, but I frequently deviated from it. Thus, they had a final destination (starting point) but not much for intermediate destinations.

Those two trips were my only solo tours, my other tours were with a friend and former co-worker or with a tour group. Trips with others require more structure.

I met a gal that was on year seven of her long tour, she had already done Africa, Europe, Asia and Australia, and I met her in North America. She did not appear to have a planned destination. But she was headed towards South America when I met her. I assume she got there, but I have no clue where she was going to go after that.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 08-25-21, 01:26 AM
Jasongrace313

Bikes: 82 John Howard built by Dave Moulton, 06 Lemond Croix de Fer, 85 trek 620, Trek Fx 7.2, Giant escape 2, Gt Karakoram, Electra Townie 7D,

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I did two international trips that were loops, I had to get back to my starting point by a certain time to make my flight home. One of those trips I meandered about for roughly three weeks and then used the remaining week to get back to the starting point. The other trip, I had a generalized route plan, but I frequently deviated from it. Thus, they had a final destination (starting point) but not much for intermediate destinations.

Those two trips were my only solo tours, my other tours were with a friend and former co-worker or with a tour group. Trips with others require more structure.

I met a gal that was on year seven of her long tour, she had already done Africa, Europe, Asia and Australia, and I met her in North America. She did not appear to have a planned destination. But she was headed towards South America when I met her. I assume she got there, but I have no clue where she was going to go after that.
Wow! thats awesome!
Old 08-25-21, 02:27 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Jasongrace313
.....looking at my bike I felt an urge to just take off and figure it out once I’m there. Have you ever done this? What was it like?
No, I have never traveled by bicycle before. And don’t really have a destination or reason to go anywhere.....
have you considered taking up the melodeon?
Likes For saddlesores:
Old 08-25-21, 04:30 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
If I go on a multiday trip there is a final destination but the day to day destinations are not set in stone
Likes For PedalingWalrus:
Old 08-25-21, 04:50 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
If we are talking about a tour rather than a day ride then no. I often head out for the day with no plan though. For tours I always have started somewhere relatively far from home and with at least a general destination. I don't always have a nailed down plan and don't always follow it if I do have one.

Any thoughts for how long you have for this ride?

Let us know how it goes.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 08-25-21, 06:16 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
I have done several long tours without concrete destinations or any planning. Winging it day by day. Here is one example where I had 4 weeks

I flew into Auckland and rode to Rotura to see a volcano or something and then rode NE to the coast and rode the coast getting to Wellington where I took a ferry to the South Island and down that coast and over some mountains to Queenstown with the hope of making Te Anau but the 1 meter of rain washed the road out, so, I took a puddle jumper to see the Fiords. Then up over the Southern Alps (had to carry the bike thru several landslides) and then down to the West Coast and glacier sight seeing. I saw a golf course and decided to stay a day and play. I ran out of time and had to fly from Wellington back to Auckland, probably because too much fun in Queenstown and it rained every single day. An epic trip with no plan
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 08-25-21, 07:26 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 951 Times in 783 Posts
easy to throw out easy answers for this, but given that you have never bike toured before, I'd really suggest doing some short, planned trips, an overnight, or two nights or whatever, just to see if you even like being on a heavy bike all day and all that jazz.
As a beginner, you need to sort out all kinds of stuff before heading off willy nilly. Well, maybe not need, but the experience will be a lot more pleasant for you if you ease into it.

but hey, we aint your mom, so you'll do as you wish.
have fun, thats the main thing.
Likes For djb:
Old 08-25-21, 09:10 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Wow what kind of work allows you to travel the country by bicycle, and where do I apply?

[QUOTE=Jasongrace313;22199203]Today I received some new panniers for a touring rig I’ve been “hodgepodging” together and once I cleaned them up and mounted them I thought “just go”. A little background I’ve traveled the country since 2007 for work, from edge to edge. Anyway, looking at my bike I felt an urge to just take off and figure it out once I’m there. Have you ever done this? What was it like?
No, I have never traveled by bicycle before. And don’t really have a destination or reason to go anywhere, (other than the obvious stir craziness this last year has brought) I didn’t take off. I have some tweaks to the bike left to do and some business that requires me to be home but, I’d really love to hear any stories of you may have of throwing it all to the wind and just hitting it.
[/QUOTE
Likes For timdow:
Old 08-25-21, 10:13 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
I mentioned above that one of my trips I wandered about for three weeks, then used my last week to get back to starting point so I would not miss my flight. My goal at the start was to see some of the interior of Iceland, but that was accomplished during week one, so wandered about for the rest. My route in red, below.

I fully agree with DJB, start out with some overnights, then see how you like it. Then maybe a few week long trips.

A lot of people will buy a touring bike, buy panniers, etc., and then after a week long tour that they did not enjoy, then put everything up for sale when they get home.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 08-25-21, 10:40 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 171 Posts
Short answer: No.
Longer description: The level of planning and knowledge typically matches the length of a trip.
  • If I go on a day trip or short overnight, I pretty much know where I am headed and likely where I will stay.
  • If I go on a months long trip, I i will have goals for the trip overall, e.g. to reach tip of South America or to reach an ocean on other side of a continent. However, I won't know where I end up each day - until that day. In some cases, I will set up for a day ride with several options under consideration i.e. depending on what is available in a town or the weather or mechanical issues - I might end in either town A or town B or campground C. However, those daily stopping points are often part of a larger plan i.e. a long as I am headed southbound I am getting closer to tip of South America - but if I don't ride part of that distance today, I will ride it the next day.
The completely open-ended trip I haven't done and don't expect to do this. On the longest trips, there are sometimes logistics like visa or vaccinations that I want to get in advance. On mid-level trips, I like to understand some suitability of the routes. On the short-segments, it is useful to know if there are services along the way or whether I might need to carry food/water for more than a single day.
Likes For mev:
Old 08-25-21, 10:56 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 317 Posts
I used to do that every once in a while when I was young.
Took off on a cross-country car/bike trip after high school that lasted months longer’n I’d planned.
Then I did something similar in college when I just accepted an off the cuff job offer in Asia. Spent a year and a half exploring Singapore and Malaysia while being ridiculously overpaid, so that was pretty sweet.
Likes For Rage:
Old 08-25-21, 11:21 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Jasongrace313
Anyway, looking at my bike I felt an urge to just take off and figure it out once I’m there. Have you ever done this? What was it like?
Depending on how you define what you're asking - absolutely.

Take the approach that "The journey is the destination".

Don't plan for everything to go "perfectly". Plan for contingencies. Have extra supplies - food, water especially. Have a decent understanding of the area you are going to be touring - location of towns, stores. Along with the previous point of understanding - think safety. Are there bad areas you should steer around?

Some of the above is actually best acquired en-route from other cycle tourers and locals. Consider that part of the journey and the adventure. You will meet a lot of great people out there and you'll learn what you need to enjoy your trip and stay safe.

I met a guy jogging one morning on a tour last year. I was camped on the side of a trail. He stopped intrigued with all my gear. As we got to talking - he has hiked the whole Appalachian Trail. Those of us that have traveled by human power tend to look out for others that travel by human power. He asked if I needed anything - food, fuel, etc. I told him I was planning on getting some fuel cannisters when I found a place down the trail. About an hour later he came back and gave me 3 fuel cannisters.

Don't discount your extra water. You may run in to someone that needs it more than you.

I got up one morning and made my way down the trail a ways before setting up for breakfast. Where I stopped were 2 hammocks strung up under a trailhead shelter. As I started making breakfast the guys in the hammocks got up. Come to find out - they were rollerblading the trail I was riding and didn't prepare well. Their only food was snack bars. No cooking gear. Mind you, this morning was barely above freezing. They got a whole pot of fresh brewed hot coffee that morning. Yeah, that took up some of my water - but I had a couple days' worth and could resupply easy enough. They needed it - hot and with ground beans - more than I did.
Likes For KC8QVO:
Old 08-25-21, 11:23 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I generally have an end destination, but the destination for any given night are usually not confirmed until after supper.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 08-26-21, 01:24 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
I once flew to Paris and just started touring with no real destination after th first couple of days. I had plenty of time and enough money to just ramble and visit whatever I wanted to see. Everything was new to me.

Last edited by ironwood; 08-26-21 at 01:27 PM. Reason: spelling
Likes For ironwood:
Old 08-26-21, 06:41 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1724 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
I toured in Thailand that way. No destination for the day. It was wonderful.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 08-26-21, 07:42 PM
JeffL

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I did a completely unplanned, seven day October tour three years ago. I literally didn't know which direction I would be going until I rode out of my driveway: https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/impromptour/

I decided to do it a couple of days before I left. Unlike my previous tours, which I planned fairly carefully, I did zero planning for this one, and figured out the route on the road.

It all worked out, and was enjoyable (except for one long day of unceasing chilly rain.)
Likes For JeffL:
Old 08-26-21, 08:48 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffL
It all worked out, and was enjoyable (except for one long day of unceasing chilly rain.)
I can relate. The first leg of my trip last November was 12 days and I had 4 days that had decent weather. The rest was all wet - misty and rainy most days. I had the gear for it, though so considering the conditions I did keep comfortable, all things considered. It wasn't my favorite weather to ride in but I kept on keepin' on and had a positive attitude
Likes For KC8QVO:
Old 08-27-21, 10:58 AM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
This idea is a dream for me, but I'd need to be single again and with some more touring experience.
Likes For Bassmanbob:
Old 08-27-21, 12:22 PM
Lambkin55

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Curcit is my main bike

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
I have done a version of the OP's question.

We live in the middle of "flyover country". We can ride for hundreds of miles in any directions without coming to a geographic barrier. (Like oceans, mountains and Metropolitan areas that are death to ride through.)

In my youth a number of us did a tail wind ride for 5 days straight. The rule was easy, every day we would ride about 100 miles but always with the wind. So if the wind was from the west in the morning we rode would pick a town 90 miles east and head that way. BUT if the wind shifted we had to find another goal. After 5 days we would rent a car and drive home.

It was great fun. We ended up spending the night in towns I would never have visited otherwise. The secret is good riding buddies, in a deal like this! Because the wind kept shifting around on us we only ended up about 200 miles from home after 5 days.
Likes For Lambkin55:
Old 08-30-21, 03:30 PM
Jasongrace313

Originally Posted by Lambkin55
I have done a version of the OP's question.

We live in the middle of "flyover country". We can ride for hundreds of miles in any directions without coming to a geographic barrier. (Like oceans, mountains and Metropolitan areas that are death to ride through.)

In my youth a number of us did a tail wind ride for 5 days straight. The rule was easy, every day we would ride about 100 miles but always with the wind. So if the wind was from the west in the morning we rode would pick a town 90 miles east and head that way. BUT if the wind shifted we had to find another goal. After 5 days we would rent a car and drive home.

It was great fun. We ended up spending the night in towns I would never have visited otherwise. The secret is good riding buddies, in a deal like this! Because the wind kept shifting around on us we only ended up about 200 miles from home after 5 days.
That's awesome! Sounds like fun.
Old 08-30-21, 03:55 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
I'm pretty goal oriented so the idea of just meandering isn't too appealing but I have done two trips recently that sort of fit that bill.

The first was two weeks to get from Calgary to Jasper. I flew into Calgary and eventually took the train from Jasper back home to near Vancouver. For that trip I had no set itinerary and did day hikes etc... from Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper along the way.

The second was a one week trip to Moab for mountain biking. Flew into SLC, rented a mini van in which I slept and picked up a rental bike in Moab.

I plan (fingers crossed) to do the Moab thing again this Nov. but this time for two weeks driving from Vancouver. I will bring my road bike and again rent an mtb or also bring my fat bike.

Besides bike touring I also really enjoy road trips (8000kms in three weeks so far this summer). In a vehicle I am far more likely to make it up as I go.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 09-02-21 at 08:45 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.