Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Groupset tiers and diminishing returns

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Groupset tiers and diminishing returns

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-21, 12:26 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
'money is no object'
'money is no concern'

Its been established that the second is what was initially intended. Anything can be afforded is what was meant by the comment.
???

They mean the same thing.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 09-07-21, 12:28 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I agree that there isn't much profit in this thread continuing. OP, say the word. Or report a post and ask for it to be closed.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 09-07-21, 12:28 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I appears I've walked into a men's bathroom.
Likes For seypat:
Old 09-07-21, 01:02 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I appears I've walked into a men's bathroom.
Or a dog park ...
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-07-21, 01:05 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I like Ultegra, it just happens to be 1994 Ultegra.
Old 09-07-21, 01:26 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
???

They mean the same thing.
Do they? They may, and they may not. Depends on context.

Saying 'money is no object' can mean(as has been shown here many times over) that it isnt even part of the determination process when selecting an option.
Saying 'money is no concern' can mean the same thing. Or it can mean that the person is not concerned about being able to afford any of the options, but money will still play a factor.
Concern can mean 'worry' and it can mean a 'caring/importance'.

I am not concerned(worried) about being able to afford a $5 conflict free environmentally sustainable chocolate bar, but I will still weigh whether I find enough value(caring/importance) in that bar's properties to buy it over a $1.50 Hershey's bar. Put another way, I am not concerned about the cost, but I am cognizant of the cost and allow it to influence my decision.

And this is why its dumb to belabor a point that was clarified pages ago- because words have multiple meanings and can mean something to one person while meaning something slightly different(or even very different) to another person. Add to it the reality that this is a global forum with some non-native English speaking posters and meaning of words becomes even more muddied.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-07-21, 01:48 PM
njkayaker

Do they?
Yes, yes, they do.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/money-is-no-object

And this is why its dumb to belabor a point that was clarified pages ago- because words have multiple meanings and can mean something to one person while meaning something slightly different(or even very different) to another person. Add to it the reality that this is a global forum with some non-native English speaking posters and meaning of words becomes even more muddied.
There's a standard/common understanding for this common phrase. You can't try to "win" an argument by using a non-standard "meaning" for words or phrases. The OP misused the phrase (which happens; no big deal).

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-07-21 at 01:54 PM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 09-07-21, 01:53 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by njkayaker
Merriam Webster is even more direct:

Definition of money is no object

used to say that someone is not concerned about the price of things
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-07-21, 02:06 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
deleted
Old 09-07-21, 02:12 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I hate to break it to everybody, but "money is no object" is really a figure of speech, it's never literally true. Obviously, everyone has a price point for everything beyond which they won't or can't go.

OP is clearly saying (and saying, and saying in the face of repetitive trolling) it isn't a question of affording the difference between Ultegra and Dura Ace or SuperCampy vs. SuperduperCampy (I don't speak Campy), it's whether the substantive differences are enough to justify the price difference.

So, technically, the OP did not literally mean that money is no object, but no one is willing to pay infinity dollars for Dura Ace, so it's a rather silly point, and not one worth two posts, let alone the multi-chaptered novel appearing in this thread.

We're really at the level of "you weren't really hit by a ton of bricks" criticism here. D-uh.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-07-21, 02:49 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Is impact/crash damage susceptibility or robustness not potentially part of the equation and this discussion?
I’m not sure how you arrived at that question based on what I wrote.

Originally Posted by PeteHski
If you made a full DA set out of steel it would be more durable right? That's all I'm saying. The more you get into weight saving for a given design, the more fragile it then becomes. I'm not suggesting DA is fragile, but I'm certainly not going to presume it is more durable than Ultegra or 105, which both use more steel components. When you get further down the food-chain and plastic bits start getting used in place of steel and alloys, then the balance turns back the other way. Like the lowest tier Sram Eagle plastic-fantastic for example.
Are you more concerned about crash damage than MTBF? Anecdotally, I’ve crashed a few times on various group sets. Notably, I crashed an Ultegra RD (6870) about a year ago, hit it pretty damn hard, along with splitting my helmet. It’s Di2, and I had to use crash recovery to get it functional, and straighten the hanger. It still works really well. About 6 years ago I crashed a bike with 105 on it, really smacked the RD hard, it broke it into two pieces, irreparable. What I am getting at is that the units can all take some about of impact, but I don’t think they are engineered first for impact durability. I’m sure it is a consideration, bikes get knocked around, even inadvertently. I’m guessing the engineers are in search of the sweet spot between weight savings (especially on DA and Ulty) and MTBF- literally how many times can it shift before the mechanicals fail. In that regard, to your very original question, Ultegra will just miss that sweet spot, but the miss won’t be by much.
Old 09-07-21, 02:51 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
This reminds me of a thread that someone started a couple years back. The OP asked 'which is the very best mechanical disc brake caliper," and so I responded with a link to this -- and the OP replied with, "No way, those are too expensive!"

Well, okay, then. You should've asked a different question.
Old 09-07-21, 03:06 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by livedarklions
So, technically, the OP did not literally mean that money is no object, but no one is willing to pay infinity dollars for Dura Ace, so it's a rather silly point,
Absolutely no one is thinking anybody would. Talk about silly.
Old 09-07-21, 03:26 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4399 Post(s)
Liked 4,844 Times in 2,997 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6

Are you more concerned about crash damage than MTBF? Anecdotally, I’ve crashed a few times on various group sets. Notably, I crashed an Ultegra RD (6870) about a year ago, hit it pretty damn hard, along with splitting my helmet. It’s Di2, and I had to use crash recovery to get it functional, and straighten the hanger. It still works really well. About 6 years ago I crashed a bike with 105 on it, really smacked the RD hard, it broke it into two pieces, irreparable. What I am getting at is that the units can all take some about of impact, but I don’t think they are engineered first for impact durability. I’m sure it is a consideration, bikes get knocked around, even inadvertently. I’m guessing the engineers are in search of the sweet spot between weight savings (especially on DA and Ulty) and MTBF- literally how many times can it shift before the mechanicals fail. In that regard, to your very original question, Ultegra will just miss that sweet spot, but the miss won’t be by much.
I was actually more interested in the performance differences between the top 3 tiers, if there were any. It appears that weight saving is the only advantage.

Durability was only a minor question mark for the top level because of its focus on pro racing and a few people assuming it must be more durable simply because it is more expensive. But as usual it became another sidetrack alongside the meaning of life. I had concluded a few pages ago that durability was a none-issue with any of the major group sets.

So the mods can close this thread if they like as I doubt there is anything else to add.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-07-21, 03:32 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Point of clarification in this clown car of debate: What I understood and the OP confirmed, is that even though he can afford the best, he wishes to spend his money wisely (I.E. The most bang for the buck without sacrificing). People don’t usually ‘have money’ by spending it foolishly unless they inherit or are trust fund babies.

I hope this ends this ridiculous debate.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-07-21, 03:33 PM
tomato coupe

I was actually more interested in the performance differences between the top 3 tiers, if there were any. It appears that weight saving is the only advantage.
There are a lot of people that will tell you that Dura Ace shifters and front derailleurs perform better than Ultegra and 105.
Old 09-07-21, 03:38 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,896 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Point of clarification in this clown car of debate: What I understood and the OP confirmed, is that even though he can afford the best, he wishes to spend his money wisely (I.E. The most bang for the buck without sacrificing). People don’t usually ‘have money’ by spending it foolishly unless they inherit or are trust fund babies.

Are you new here?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-07-21, 03:41 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
I’m not sure how you arrived at that question based on what I wrote.
Just because you raised another value proposition that didn't really get discussed.

The whole premise of this thread and the OP's question, really boils down to asking what is gained by paying more for a higher level groupset? High-level dimensions offhand I'd suggest as:
1) Weight
2) Performance (eg. Smoother, faster, more precise, etc)
3) Reliability (Finicky?, hi/lo maintenance)
4) Durability (parts longevity/service life)
5) Robustness (ability to sustain damage)

The problem is that aside from #1, which is the only easily measurable dimension, and possibly (eg chains) #4, the rest tend to be very anecdotal. Waiting on controlled sledgehammer testing to settle #5.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 09-07-21, 03:44 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
There are a lot of people that will tell you that Dura Ace shifters and front derailleurs perform better than Ultegra and 105.
That’s the kind of thing I was interested in. I think that’s something I would have to test for myself. I’ve done the Ultegra vs 105 test before and not found any difference worth mentioning there.
Old 09-07-21, 04:00 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by rsbob

Yes that was the general idea. I’m happy to pay more for tangible gains. Lets say Ultegra and 105 didn’t exist, so I had to choose between DA and Tiagra. Then I would choose DA. Cost only comes into it for me because there are these other cheaper options that appear to be just as good. Thinking about it that happens with many products, but groupsets seem like one of the most marginal gains out there. The difference between Ultegra and 105 is now almost non-existent.
Old 09-07-21, 04:07 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Yes that was the general idea. I’m happy to pay more for tangible gains. Lets say Ultegra and 105 didn’t exist, so I had to choose between DA and Tiagra. Then I would choose DA. Cost only comes into it for me because there are these other cheaper options that appear to be just as good. Thinking about it that happens with many products, but groupsets seem like one of the most marginal gains out there. The difference between Ultegra and 105 is now almost non-existent.
PSA: Thread responders, please read the above over and over until it sinks in. Thank you and have a nice day.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-07-21, 07:01 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
^ thanks a lot, Mr. Buzzkill. You just took all the fun out of this thread.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-07-21, 10:58 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Just because you raised another value proposition that didn't really get discussed.

The whole premise of this thread and the OP's question, really boils down to asking what is gained by paying more for a higher level groupset? High-level dimensions offhand I'd suggest as:
1) Weight
2) Performance (eg. Smoother, faster, more precise, etc)
3) Reliability (Finicky?, hi/lo maintenance)
4) Durability (parts longevity/service life)
5) Robustness (ability to sustain damage)

The problem is that aside from #1, which is the only easily measurable dimension, and possibly (eg chains) #4, the rest tend to be very anecdotal. Waiting on controlled sledgehammer testing to settle #5.
The issue of durability was raised well before I replied to it. I’d slightly reorder the ranking you offered to read 2, 3, 1…and I’d not even worry about 4 and 5. Wait, that’s how I do it now.
Old 09-07-21, 11:00 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

That’s the kind of thing I was interested in. I think that’s something I would have to test for myself. I’ve done the Ultegra vs 105 test before and not found any difference worth mentioning there.
There is noticeable difference, albeit not significant, if comparing same generations. But, as many have said, the trickle down of tech that Shimano uses, means that current year 105 is typically as good in function as last gen Ultegra. Maybe not as light, but other than the cranksets, it’s also negligible in practice.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 09-08-21, 12:08 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Except the weight savings, the measurable (barely) benefits are in the bearing parts; a 105 rear derailleur has jockey wheels with bushings which are less efficient from the start and get worse with contamination, while Dura-ace run on sealed bearings. On the other hand, a cheap set of aftermarket Tacx ones are slightly better than both. Similarly, Dura-ace chains, Dura-ace bottom brackets and hubs (not a question raised, but). Bearing quality is a bigger performance gain than the few hundred grams of weight - but you don't need to pay for the full Dura-ace groupset to get that.

I couldn't actually detect a difference in shifting quality between R7000 105 and R9100 Dura-ace, both simply shift when you want them to, even under strain. For a cost / benefit perspective, 105 is ridicilously hard to beat, especially with a few cheap upgrades.
Likes For Branko D:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.