Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Did Ida change your commute route?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 09-07-21, 06:51 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts

On Thursday I couldn't get to work at all; NJ Transit had suspended service, and the roads between home and the station were under a lot of water.

On Friday I got to work; I rode roads that were closed to traffic because they were flooded. I was riding with my feet going through the water on every pedal stroke. The trains were running, so no problem.

Today I got to see the damage. The unpaved sections of my commute, which were under the most water, survived pretty well, but in a lot of places rushing water has taken away the surface and made deep sand deposits here and and mud puddles there. The mud puddles got rutted over the weekend, and now they are dry ruts. It's pretty rough! In one place the path came pretty close to being washed away, but it survived.

So, Ida has changed my commute, but not drastically. Looks like we were lucky around here.
Old 09-08-21, 05:40 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Ida know!

<runs away>
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-09-21, 06:40 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Ida was an odd one. Almost stalled over Louisiana and southern Mississippi, then picked up speed and flew up to Pennsylvania and New Jersey. We only got a couple inches of rain, and personally lost one small tree limb (that took down the power line to the garage. Again.).