Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

are we defenseless?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

are we defenseless?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-08, 11:08 AM
ThomasA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was in the right lane when a motorist turned from the left and turned in to the outside lane that I was in. ******* saw me too, and just kept going. He came inches from hitting me, I actually braced myself by putting my hand against his rear fender. I then proceeded to pedal as fast as I could (computer read 40mph) and caught up to the guy at a stop light. I punched his drivers door, leaving a nice dent, and then told him to watch out because he could have killed me. I think the old dude wet himself.
-Thomas
Old 08-20-08, 11:11 AM
Hobartlemagne 
Spelling Snob

Bikes: Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Attach a rod that sticks out to the left of your bike. Attach a big bunch of keys to it.

The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!
Old 08-20-08, 11:36 AM
Navy_Chief
Gitane GranTour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CastIron
Refuse to be intimidated. Refuse to engage. Refuse to be their entertainment.

Why is this soooo hard for people here to understand, don't give them the satisfaction of getting angry about it; it accomplishes nothing and just ruins the rest of your ride. Also until they actually make contact with you chances are there is nothing the police are going to do about it.

Chief
Old 08-20-08, 12:36 PM
joe_5700
CAT4

Bikes: 2009 Cervélo S1, 2009 Felt F75, 2010 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5, 2011 Cannondale CAADx, 2011 Specialized Transition Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsmithepa
"Call the police" totally waste of time. Unless yer can prove that you are actually suffered injury, the police has better thing to do.

911 - STOP already, the 911 system is innundated with frivorous calls. They are short of people to handle ACTUAL emergencies. Stop being such whinners.
When my rental property was empty someone kicked in the unattached garage door hoping to steal something. I discovered the door open days later. The police here insisted that I call 911 to report the days old crime. I would hardly call being run off the road by a car while on a bicycle frivolous.
Old 08-20-08, 04:49 PM
angelaharms
Spark of the Divine Fire

Bikes: Raleigh Detour 4.5, Trek Sole Ride 100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader
Carry a Gun...

Nothing says "I love you" like a few rounds through the trunklid!
Just for the record, responsible gun owners--and that's most--generally don't operate this way. In fact, the folks I know are very strict about their ethics and their safety rules. They would never consider firing a gun in this circumstances. It's quite likely this poster is a troll, not a gun owner.

Just sayin'
Old 08-20-08, 04:53 PM
EatMyA**

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CastIron
Refuse to be intimidated. Refuse to engage. Refuse to be their entertainment.
I like that.
Old 08-20-08, 06:08 PM
xenologer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The gun suggestions are probably a bit ridiculous and prone to get you into more trouble than the actual incident.

But I will say, keep a slingshot and a few BBs in your saddlebag, though you will have to stop and put a foot down to properly aim one...
Old 08-20-08, 07:19 PM
Rogue Leader

Bikes: 2009 Mercier Galaxy (custom build), 2008 Argon 18 Mercury

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by angelaharms
Just for the record, responsible gun owners--and that's most--generally don't operate this way. In fact, the folks I know are very strict about their ethics and their safety rules. They would never consider firing a gun in this circumstances. It's quite likely this poster is a troll, not a gun owner.

Just sayin'
Uh no, I'm not a Troll, I am a gun owner, and I can't believe anyone would read my post and seriously believe that I was serious.

For the record my firearms stay trigger locked, unloaded, upstairs, and the rounds are kept in locked military ammo cans in the basement.
Old 08-20-08, 07:44 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
We are not defenseless. I know this will upset the more sensitive here, but it works for me. My comments from a previous post:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...it#post6519273

When motorist buzz a cyclist, it is sometimes hard to tell if it was a distracted/inattentive driver or if it was a driver intentionally buzzing the cyclist (especially if the motorist has tinted windows). One tactic I use to judge intent; is when the JAM buzzes me, I will spit on the rear door or rear quarter panel. If it is a distracted/inattentive driver, they just keep going, never knowing they got spat on. On the other hand, if the act was intentional, the driver will be looking in their mirror to see the cyclist reaction. When they see their precious get spit on, they react with a swerve or hitting the brakes. Ensuing conversations have sometimes been humorious:

Motorist: You spit on my car.
Cyclist: You passed me too close.
Motorist: But, you spit on my car.
Cyclist: Yes, you passed me too close.
Motorist: You didn’t have to spit on my car.
Cyclist: You didn’t have to pass me that close.

An advantage to spitting on a car:
Notice how motorist are sheep. They follow the guy in front of them. If the first motorist buzzes you, then without even thinking, the next 2 or 3 motorist buzz you. I have found that if I spit on the first car, the next motorist swerves away from me to prevent the same. And the rest of the sheep follow the second motorist.

The last motor vehicle I spat on, occurred several months ago. The guy was in a pickup and passed about 3 inches from me. I hit my brakes and spat on his rear quarter panel. As soon as I spat, he immediately swung his right arm around to point at me, so I pointed back at him. While he was pointing and looking at me, he banged his right tires into the curb.
He then sped up and tried to figure out how to get me. At that time a car began to safely pass me but the pickup driver decided to hit his brakes in the hope I would move up along side him. The car almost rear ended him. About a block later, the pickup driver completely turned his head around again to see where I was, again he drove his right tires into the curb. So now he decides to pull into a gas station and wait for me to catch up. 100 yards before the gas station was my right turn for my normal commute route. The driver did not see me make that right turn. I wonder how long he waited for me to pass the gas station.

I laughed my ass off the entire rest of my commute.
Old 08-20-08, 07:50 PM
angelaharms
Spark of the Divine Fire

Bikes: Raleigh Detour 4.5, Trek Sole Ride 100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader
Uh no, I'm not a Troll, I am a gun owner, and I can't believe anyone would read my post and seriously believe that I was serious.

For the record my firearms stay trigger locked, unloaded, upstairs, and the rounds are kept in locked military ammo cans in the basement.
Oh, I'm glad. Sorry to misunderstand you.

Angela
Old 08-20-08, 08:47 PM
Zan

Bikes: Road: Trek 1.5 (2007). Mountain: Santa Cruz Chameleon (2008). Beater: Peugeot Recorde du Monde (1850)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this is a fun thread to read.
Old 08-20-08, 09:03 PM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ken cummings
See if your local bicycle activist organization keeps a harassment file, ours does. The cops and the local lawyers and prosecutors know about it too. And keep an eye out for repeat offenders. Some bike law experts do the same. Always get all the data you can and turn it in.
Some people have a bright flag sticking out to the left of their bikes. The flexible stick holding it has a hard, sharp tip. Any one who gets that close gets their paint scratched. If they complain to the cops they have admitted to getting too close, a violation around here.
Old 08-21-08, 09:26 PM
Trail Runner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm starting to get back in road cycling after an 8 year hiatus. I'm pleased to say that during my 2 hour ride today, most drivers gave me a fairly wide birth when passing. Maybe I'm lucky?.
Old 08-21-08, 09:38 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by fredddir
I always carry a a rock or pebble in my pocket. In case people try to bully you, just try to damage their car and see if they will laugh then.
I always thought it should be a golf ball.
Old 08-21-08, 10:51 PM
Velo Dog

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by epnnf
What can we do when, a car passes us, but trying to come as close to us as possible? It's intentional that they miss us by inches. They try to run us off the road. Sometimes they say something. If we get angry, catch them at the light and yell at them, they laugh- it's just what they want. I guess you're supposed to smile/wave, but that's really hard when you almost just got killed. Do we have any options?
I understand your frustration and even your fear, but after 40 years of cycling as an adult, I dismiss most stories like this as crap. As a newspaper columnist who often wrote about bike issues, I got dozens of letters a year about cars that "tried to run me off the road" or "tried to hit me" or something similar. There are certainly bad and inattentive drivers out there, but they can't all have bad aim. If that many drivers were trying to kill cyclists--a ridiculous supposition--there would be a lot more dead cyclists. I've ridden nearly 100,000 miles in most parts of the country, big cities, small towns and rural areas, and I've had ONE bad experience with a motor vehicle, when a couple of drunk kids threw a beer can at me.
Of course you have to be careful, but it's a mistake to think drivers are out to get you. If it happens more than about once every 10 years, I'd look at my riding habits. Maybe you're doing something to piss them off.
Old 08-21-08, 11:13 PM
Tapeworm21

Bikes: 2010 Tarmac SL, 2013 Fairdale Weekender, 2013 Fairdale Coaster, 1995 Specialized M2 Pro, 1972 Schwinn Heavy Duty, 2014 Surley Long Haul Trucker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

A cyclists' best weapon. The more water in it, the better.
Old 08-22-08, 03:18 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Dog
I understand your frustration and even your fear, but after 40 years of cycling as an adult, I dismiss most stories like this as crap. As a newspaper columnist who often wrote about bike issues, I got dozens of letters a year about cars that "tried to run me off the road" or "tried to hit me" or something similar. There are certainly bad and inattentive drivers out there, but they can't all have bad aim. If that many drivers were trying to kill cyclists--a ridiculous supposition--there would be a lot more dead cyclists. I've ridden nearly 100,000 miles in most parts of the country, big cities, small towns and rural areas, and I've had ONE bad experience with a motor vehicle, when a couple of drunk kids threw a beer can at me.
Of course you have to be careful, but it's a mistake to think drivers are out to get you. If it happens more than about once every 10 years, I'd look at my riding habits. Maybe you're doing something to piss them off.
No one here said they were trying to kill cyclist. They are bullies, they see cyclist as easy targets for their cowardly behavior trying to puff out their chest. They try and pass cyclist close to scare us - haha funny. But they know if they hit a cyclist, they are in trouble. I have gotten 2 of these guys successfully prosecuted. One of the 2 misjudged and hit me; of course he ran.

No one has said there are huge numbers of these cowards out there. In fact, most threads get around to an estimation that the number of these drivers are extremely small.

Some areas of the country have almost none of these cowards, willing to commit such acts. Other states/cities make up for that with a higher percentage. From 1982 to 1996 of daily commuting in CA, CT and HI I had no incidents of such behavior. But during 2 years (1989-1990) within the same period of riding in Washington DC, I had about 20 incidents. Four of them were from the same guy in a red van. The last incident with this guy, I caught up to him and warned him that the police, my friends and coworkers all had his description, plate #, etc. and if I ever got hit, they were looking for him first. I never saw the guy again, he changed his route.

Now since 1996, drivers in HI have gotten progressively meaner. It is still very small percentage of drivers, but it is happening. 1996 to 1998, truckers were the worst, until the insurance companies threatened to drop their insurance if the did not fix their behavior. Since 1998, HI truckers have treated cyclist here extremely well.

Since you bring up your mileage, I assume you think that is very important and proves your point; since I have over 220,000 miles of commuting, utility and recreational riding since 1982, does that mean my experience is more accurate/valid than yours.

By the way, I have ridden the same VC way the entire time. So your idea that it must be the cyclist fault due to riding style is pure BS.
Old 08-22-08, 05:46 AM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Bikes: Retro Hercules adult tricycle, 1953 Hercules ladies roadster, 1950s Wearwell fixed gear 'Club' pathracer, 1980s Malvern Star 'Super Star', 1980s Healing GTX-105 Arabesque, 1980's Morrison Concorde & etc & etc.......

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
By the way, I have ridden the same VC way the entire time. So your idea that it must be the cyclist fault due to riding style is pure BS.
Now now, it's been a very nice and friendly discussion so far so let's keep it that way.
OMNIPOTENS aeterne Deus, qui nos secundum imaginem Tuam plasmasti, et omnia bona, vera, pulchra, praesertim in divina persona Unigeniti Filii Tui Domini nostri Iesu Christi, quaerere iussisti, praesta quaesumus ut, per intercessionem Sancti Isidori, Episcopi et Doctoris, in peregrinationibus per interrete factis et manus oculosque ad quae Tibi sunt placita intendamus et omnes quos convenimus cum caritate ac patientia accipiamus. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.
Old 08-22-08, 06:22 AM
IronMac
Dead Men Assume...

Bikes: Bike Friday NWT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trail Runner
I'm pleased to say that during my 2 hour ride today, most drivers gave me a fairly wide birth when passing. Maybe I'm lucky?.
You sure that you were not using a Burkey Nomad trailer? I've found that drivers gave me a ton of space (and on this very busy six laner) whenever I used one.
Old 08-22-08, 09:43 AM
Trail Runner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IronMac
You sure that you were not using a Burkey Nomad trailer? I've found that drivers gave me a ton of space (and on this very busy six laner) whenever I used one.
No, just a standard road bike that I bought 11 years ago. I live in Canada(Ontario). Maybe things are worse in the US?.

Edit: Just noticed you're in Toronto. Oh well, I live in a smaller town, maybe that accounts for the difference.
Old 08-22-08, 03:48 PM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Bikes: Retro Hercules adult tricycle, 1953 Hercules ladies roadster, 1950s Wearwell fixed gear 'Club' pathracer, 1980s Malvern Star 'Super Star', 1980s Healing GTX-105 Arabesque, 1980's Morrison Concorde & etc & etc.......

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I very much think living in a smaller town does make a difference. In a small town you're more likely to know mostly everyone and folk aren't in such a rush which means they're likely to be more patient.
OMNIPOTENS aeterne Deus, qui nos secundum imaginem Tuam plasmasti, et omnia bona, vera, pulchra, praesertim in divina persona Unigeniti Filii Tui Domini nostri Iesu Christi, quaerere iussisti, praesta quaesumus ut, per intercessionem Sancti Isidori, Episcopi et Doctoris, in peregrinationibus per interrete factis et manus oculosque ad quae Tibi sunt placita intendamus et omnes quos convenimus cum caritate ac patientia accipiamus. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.
Old 08-22-08, 04:21 PM
SpeedingTicket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't let them pass you. Just ignore the speed limit and go a little bit faster.
Old 08-22-08, 04:37 PM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You might need to be fitted with bionic knees to get away with that trick
Old 08-22-08, 04:49 PM
zoltani
sniffin' glue

Bikes: Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This device has helped me tremendously. I used to get all pissed off and yell at people and whatnot, but this thing lets me vent my frustration and actually gets cars to stop or notice you when they are about to turn into you. Of course, in a real emergency you might want to concentrate on braking and avoiding a potential accident instead of blasting the horn, but for your situation it works well.

Old 08-22-08, 05:07 PM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Now that is not a bad idea at all. Back when I was much younger I rode a very small motorcycle and after being severly bullied in traffic a few times my mechanic brothers fitted a truck horn to my motorcycle. Oh the way a car driver would jump when I sounded that horn, - it was wonderful, - and nobody ever cut me off ever again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.