Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bring back the English 3-speed

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Bring back the English 3-speed

Old 08-18-08, 10:22 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts
I forget my ...

My oldest daughter was aware that I was building a bike for her sister and being able to take them out on the English three speeds with my own (or the Twenty I got for The Girl) makes me a pretty lucky fellow.

I have some pretty wonderful girls in my life and I think I am really the lucky one.
Old 08-23-08, 05:20 PM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Bikes: Retro Hercules adult tricycle, 1953 Hercules ladies roadster, 1950s Wearwell fixed gear 'Club' pathracer, 1980s Malvern Star 'Super Star', 1980s Healing GTX-105 Arabesque, 1980's Morrison Concorde & etc & etc.......

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bump.
OMNIPOTENS aeterne Deus, qui nos secundum imaginem Tuam plasmasti, et omnia bona, vera, pulchra, praesertim in divina persona Unigeniti Filii Tui Domini nostri Iesu Christi, quaerere iussisti, praesta quaesumus ut, per intercessionem Sancti Isidori, Episcopi et Doctoris, in peregrinationibus per interrete factis et manus oculosque ad quae Tibi sunt placita intendamus et omnes quos convenimus cum caritate ac patientia accipiamus. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.
Old 08-23-08, 08:33 PM
Juggler2
W A N T E D

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Was just checking on models and my daughter's "new" 3 speed is a 1988 Raleigh Saffron which is the non folding version of the Compact... I think she will have fun making the bike her own while her dad tweaks out her ride.

A pic of the bike on the ride home (it fits me too).

Educate me, what is the attraction to this type of bike, if it isn't a folder? Just curious.
Old 08-23-08, 08:45 PM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Bikes: Retro Hercules adult tricycle, 1953 Hercules ladies roadster, 1950s Wearwell fixed gear 'Club' pathracer, 1980s Malvern Star 'Super Star', 1980s Healing GTX-105 Arabesque, 1980's Morrison Concorde & etc & etc.......

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
They're still a lot more compact than a normal sized bicycle even if they don't fold. I used a non-folding Raleigh 20 for commuting by train and it was way easier to manage than a full sized bike.
OMNIPOTENS aeterne Deus, qui nos secundum imaginem Tuam plasmasti, et omnia bona, vera, pulchra, praesertim in divina persona Unigeniti Filii Tui Domini nostri Iesu Christi, quaerere iussisti, praesta quaesumus ut, per intercessionem Sancti Isidori, Episcopi et Doctoris, in peregrinationibus per interrete factis et manus oculosque ad quae Tibi sunt placita intendamus et omnes quos convenimus cum caritate ac patientia accipiamus. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.
Old 08-23-08, 09:36 PM
Juggler2
W A N T E D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sianelle
They're still a lot more compact than a normal sized bicycle even if they don't fold. I used a non-folding Raleigh 20 for commuting by train and it was way easier to manage than a full sized bike.
I thought that may be the reason, but wasn't sure. I passed one up a few weeks ago, it was a folder. Kinda wish I hadn't now. We will be doing alot of traveling this fall, these bikes make sense.
Old 08-25-08, 01:08 PM
YoKev
hi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
English 3-speeds are amazing. In addition to this Phillips, I have three other English 3-speeds as well as an Italian folder with the SA AW hub.

I picked this up for $40 three months ago. I put air in the tires, put on a spare set of brake pads, and put an equally ugly but slightly more comfortable saddle on. It needs a leather seat!

I've been riding it around town for short errands, and I take it to work once a week when I give the other bikes a break...a 30 mile RT.

1965 Phillips
Old 08-25-08, 02:44 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by Juggler2
Educate me, what is the attraction to this type of bike, if it isn't a folder? Just curious.
Bikes with 20 inch wheels are of course a little more compact than their full sized counterparts and those who ride small wheelers generally appreciate how quickly they spin up, how nimble and stable they are, and how comfortable a ride they offer.

I rarely ever fold my folding bikes and the non folding versions also tend to be a little lighter... they also come in high performance versions that can also hold their own

They are also the perfect bike to keep on hand when one has guests as they can accomodate people of nearly every size.

My daughter absolotely loves her Saffron.
Old 08-26-08, 09:46 AM
Indie

Bikes: 1976 20" folding Triumph Trafficmaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They're still portable, especially if you're short. Mine's a folder, but I never fold it because it's a bit of an operation and it's actually more awkward folded than unfolded. (I think the Twenty was made for folding up and stashing in a locker or car boot, not for carrying on the train. There are no latches or locks to keep it folded, and there's nothing to rest it on.) But it's small enough that even with its steel frame I can pick it up and carry it on a staircase. (I'm 5'5" and have trouble doing that with my larger 26"-wheel mountain/hybrid.)

Also, depending on where you live, 20" or 16" tires may be legal for sidewalk riding. I don't make a habit of riding on the sidewalk, but in cases where I have to detour onto a non-bike-friendly street (which has been happening lately with construction in Toronto), I like to have the option. Riding slowly and cautiously on the sidewalk, and dismounting to let pedestrians pass, is still faster than walking.
Old 10-03-08, 01:52 PM
Juggler2
W A N T E D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking

Gosh, I love this bike! I have to force myself to ride my others! Anyway, thought I'd post some updated pictures of it. The other pics are in post #547. I've made a few changes, still have to add a SA shifter, and it needs re-cabling. I'm contemplating adding a sprung Brooks, and North Roads style bars, but I'm concerned those changes will too drastically effect the "personality" of the bike. Silly I suppose to feel this way about a "nothing special" Schwinn Speedster, but thats the way it is!

click to enlarge

Actually as cobbled up as the shift cable is (see the rack closeup), it shifts smoothly, and hasn't proven to be a problem so far. The seat bag is actually a camera bag, which works wonderfully, and has plenty of storage. The handle bars are a little "tight" to me, a couple inches wider would be great. Also, the grips are pointed more, "straight back" than the pics show. The North Roads bars I mentioned are swept out more towards the ends. I have them on two other bikes, and am impressed by how comfortable they are. I have a Brooks B66 on my Schwinn Continental, and it is vastly superior to this Schwinn Approved "thing", butt it doesn't bother me too much.

Forgot to add, I squirted the seat springs where they contact their mounts with Tri-Flow, no more squeaky seat! Priceless!

Last edited by Juggler2; 10-03-08 at 03:01 PM. Reason: addition to text
Old 11-24-08, 03:17 AM
10speed
beater bike addict

Bikes: 3schwinn2ross,puchAD,Raleighreliant,PugUE8,panasonicspecHR,sig djerba others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
theres a hot young babe been riding round town on an old green sears 3 speed. WOW!!!!Those classics make a girl look even hotter!
Old 11-24-08, 06:31 AM
Esteban32696

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A pix of a nice old 1967 Raleigh Sports that I took in a trade in.Has the Brooks #72 leather saddle & bell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1010002.JPG (78.2 KB, 53 views)
Old 11-24-08, 04:39 PM
tatfiend 
Gear Hub fan

Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have several gear hub bikes. The closest to classic is a Japanese steel track style frame, with road geometry, that I installed a SRAM 3 speed hub in. A fun ride. I also have two modern gear hub bikes, a Swobo Dixon with iMotion9 hub and a Civia Hyland Rohloff. For town riding I find any gear hub bike more convenient than a derailleur setup due to the ability to shift while stopped.

There is now a Yahoo group primarily for those interested in gear hub bikes. Here is the link.

https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geared_hub_bikes/
Old 11-27-08, 09:27 PM
graywolf

Bikes: Bianchi hybrid. Dunelt 3-sp. Raleigh basket case. Wanting a Roadster.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice to see this old thread come to the top again. I had kind of forgotten it existed. I just spent most of Thanksgiving Day rereading it. I have seen only one 3 speed other than my Dunelt in town this past year, one of the University students was riding it. I did not get to see exactly what it was as I was driving in traffic when I passed her. It was pretty rusty, I remember.

BTW, does anyone know were I can get a couple of the nylon hub oil caps without having to pay $10 shipping?
Old 11-27-08, 09:51 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

I have a new three speed... it stems from the co-joining of a vintage CCM (Canadian) frame and parts with a Sturmey Archer SA three speed and SA drum brake.

Old 11-27-08, 09:56 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

I forgot to add that this bike and it's folding cousins are extremely stable bikes due to a much lower centre of gravity and are rather confidence inspiring...
Old 11-27-08, 10:18 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Cool thread. The Old Gentleman, my 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist that I picked up this past September for $30, fits right in! The only things I've done to it are replace the shift cable and add the baskets. Oh, and I replaced the original saddle bag with a NOS one I bought on ebay.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 11-27-08, 10:20 PM
Tourister

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by graywolf
Nice to see this old thread come to the top again. I had kind of forgotten it existed. I just spent most of Thanksgiving Day rereading it. I have seen only one 3 speed other than my Dunelt in town this past year, one of the University students was riding it. I did not get to see exactly what it was as I was driving in traffic when I passed her. It was pretty rusty, I remember.

BTW, does anyone know were I can get a couple of the nylon hub oil caps without having to pay $10 shipping?
I got a couple for my roadster from Harris "https://sheldonbrown.com/harris/sturmey-archer-parts.html#smallparts".. Sorry not sure how to add a live link here.....
Scroll down the page the link points too...
Old 11-28-08, 02:04 AM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by kevinsubaru
English 3-speeds are amazing. In addition to this Phillips, I have three other English 3-speeds as well as an Italian folder with the SA AW hub.

I picked this up for $40 three months ago. I put air in the tires, put on a spare set of brake pads, and put an equally ugly but slightly more comfortable saddle on. It needs a leather seat!

I've been riding it around town for short errands, and I take it to work once a week when I give the other bikes a break...a 30 mile RT.

1965 Phillips
That can be a utility bike two ways: As is (Bike thief: What? that old thing, Looks like junk pass) or After a nice repainting and cleaning. (Then you have the whole C&V crowd lusting after it.)
Old 11-28-08, 08:47 AM
graywolf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There were some posts about the Flying Pigeon from China early in this thread. Seems like they are getting more popular. There is actually a Wikipedia article about them, and several distrbutors/dealers in the USA now. Here is one, https://guanxi-trading.com/bikes.html

They even have a cargo version for only $1750 shipped. The single top tube Roadster is $500 shipped. Unfortunately it only comes in a 22 inch frame, no 24 inch, and is single speed only. Of course you can buy one in Shanghai for $150, or from eBay for $299 + $80 shipping. Or you can buy one for $45 as someone mentioned, just jump in your wayback machine and go to 1993. I have heard that the export ones are better quality than the ones you get in China however.

Last edited by graywolf; 11-28-08 at 01:16 PM.
Old 11-28-08, 09:25 AM
graywolf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tourister
I got a couple for my roadster from Harris "https://sheldonbrown.com/harris/sturmey-archer-parts.html#smallparts".. Sorry not sure how to add a live link here.....
Scroll down the page the link points too...
That is exactly what I was trying to avoid, having to pay $10.00 for a 10 cent part. Unfortunately it is also the only source I could find. Actually I would not mind paying that for the metal oil caps if I could find a source of them.
Old 11-28-08, 09:42 AM
Tourister

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is exactly what I was trying to avoid, having to pay $10.00 for a 10 cent part. Unfortunately it is also the only source I could find. Actually I would not mind paying that for the metal oil caps if I could find a source of them.
Sorry, I wast sure of the shipping charges on those... It was part of a combined order when I did it.. I needed a replacement pully that goes on the bottom of the seat tube for the shift cable and some other goodies... Picked up a couple spares too...
Old 11-28-08, 09:47 AM
Tourister

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There were some posts about the Flying Pigeon from China early in this thread. Seems like they are getting more popular. There is actually a Wikipedia article about them, and several distrbutors/dealers in the USA now. Here is one, https://guanxi-trading.com/bikes.html

They even have a cargo version for only $1750 shipped. The single top tube Roadster is $500 shipped. Unfortunately it only comes in a 22 inch frame, no 24 inch, and is single speed only. Of course you can buy one in Shanghai for $15, or from eBay for $299 + $80 shipping. Or you can buy one for $45 as someone mentioned, just jump in your wayback machine and go to 1993. I have heard that the export ones are better quality than the ones you get in China however.
Wow, judging from the price they sure are prproud of those Pigions :-)...
I did notice they have 28 inch wheels and rod brakes.. I wonder if any of the parts will work
work on my Raliegh Roadster ?..
Old 11-28-08, 11:00 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by Tourister
Wow, judging from the price they sure are prproud of those Pigions :-)...
I did notice they have 28 inch wheels and rod brakes.. I wonder if any of the parts will work
work on my Raliegh Roadster ?..
There is a great deal of markup on Pigeons... it's ridiculous actually.
Old 11-28-08, 12:37 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
After having read this thread, I went by my LBS today and was gonna tell them they really need to get some 3-speed uprights in for me to lust after. And I found out they just received a new Biria:

Okay, it was a smaller ladies model, but boy does it look sweet!

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

Last edited by Doohickie; 11-28-08 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-28-08, 12:56 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
After having read this thread, I went by my LBS today and was gonna tell them they really need to get some 3-speed uprights in for me to lust after. And I found out they just received a new Biria:

Okay, it was a smaller ladies model, but boy does it look sweet!
Yeah. Sweet. Untill you have to re and re the rear wheel. Hoo boy. I've got a couple here I.m trying to unload.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.