Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVIII

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVIII

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-20, 07:11 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3359 Post(s)
Liked 3,638 Times in 1,244 Posts
Happy 50th Earth Day!

https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOE...sk.php?sat=G16
Old 04-22-20, 07:45 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28610 Post(s)
Liked 1,857 Times in 1,319 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
It's been quite a run.
. . . of chilly weather. The high on Sunday is only supposed to be 60F.
Old 04-22-20, 07:52 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
. . . of chilly weather. The high on Sunday is only supposed to be 60F.
Brrrr - baklava weather.
Old 04-22-20, 08:17 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,034 Times in 4,472 Posts
After weeks of below normal temps and miraculous rain it's supposed to be in the 90s on Friday.
Old 04-22-20, 08:49 AM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
Or mow the lawns.
Someone earlier mentioned that in their area that landscape services weren't operating. But that's not the case in our area. As we walk through the neighborhood, we see lawn cutting, landscaping (weeding, mulching), lawn treatment (fertilizer, kill weeds, I guess), and sprinkler maintenance. A lot of these are just a one-man crew in a truck, there there is negligible risk. I have also seen trucks for HVAC and roofing contractors, and it looked like someone was getting their kitchen done (new countertops).

Some of the yard work is being done by homeowners - I guess it depends on the scale of the yard and how much effort you want to put into it.

Once again it is cold here - this morning temps were in the 30s, but it might get up to the mid 60s during the day.
Old 04-22-20, 08:50 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

I admit I'm curious what would happen if I acquired coronavirus. Would I get a fever? How hot? Be bedridden for days? Or would I be asymptomatic?

All this hype and I simply don't know.
Old 04-22-20, 08:56 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11969 Post(s)
Liked 6,642 Times in 3,481 Posts
I admit I'm curious what would happen if I acquired coronavirus. Would I get a fever? How hot? Be bedridden for days? Or would I be asymptomatic? Or would I be dead?

Fixed.
Old 04-22-20, 08:58 AM
WhyFi

I admit I'm curious what would happen if I acquired coronavirus. Would I get a fever? How hot? Be bedridden for days? Or would I be asymptomatic?

Hell, I'm curious to know if I've already had it.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-22-20, 09:00 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by BillyD
Fixed.
I don't think I'd be dead.
Old 04-22-20, 09:00 AM
big john

It seems to be a hit and miss kind of thing. Healthy young people have died from it.
Old 04-22-20, 09:03 AM
WhyFi

Hey Bah Humbug - have you waded in to the wild waters of Japanese natural stones? I'm thinking about picking one up.
Old 04-22-20, 09:04 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by WhyFi
A study in LA County suggests 4% of the population has antibodies, which means there's hundreds of thousands of unconfirmed cases there alone.
Old 04-22-20, 09:13 AM
big john

First world problem; I'd like to do some flat spinning for a couple hours but there's nothing flat around here and I live on a small hill. I could drive 10-12 miles to a nice bike path network but it might be crowded. That's probably what I'll do though.
Old 04-22-20, 09:17 AM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
A study in LA County suggests 4% of the population has antibodies, which means there's hundreds of thousands of unconfirmed cases there alone.
It seems like the doctors are quickly learning what helps and what doesn't.

The latest seems to be that putting someone on a ventilator is really a last resort. There was something interesting the other day that suggested that they can detect people getting into trouble before there are any real symptoms of breathing problems:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/20/o...pneumonia.html
Likes For ericy:
Old 04-22-20, 09:25 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,684 Times in 4,078 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I'm often convinced I have it.
Old 04-22-20, 09:26 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

I don't think I'd be dead.
I wouldn't be so confident...

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 04-22-20 at 09:38 AM.
Old 04-22-20, 09:33 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22598 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Back from a ride. It was cold and windy, felt more like February than April.
Old 04-22-20, 09:34 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10167 Post(s)
Liked 5,860 Times in 3,154 Posts
Santa Clara. There were 50 positives in a sample of >3000 asymptomatic responders to a FB ad. Also interesting was a >13% positive rate in women admitted to a labor and delivery service at a Manhattan hospital. Both of these are likely overestimates of the prevalence of antibodies in the population. The NIAID has a 10,000 person serosurvey underway too. We'll have a better understanding soon. All that said, there is major concern about the specificity of the existing antibody tests, all of which may cross-react with other coronaviruses, thereby inflating the estimates.
Old 04-22-20, 09:36 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by big john
First world problem; I'd like to do some flat spinning for a couple hours but there's nothing flat around here and I live on a small hill. I could drive 10-12 miles to a nice bike path network but it might be crowded. That's probably what I'll do though.
It would probably be pretty empty at 4:30 am. You might have to take dawn patrol ride lessons from @Heathpack
Old 04-22-20, 09:39 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I wouldn't be so confident...

https://youtu.be/vmotfhn5j0Q
The thought crossed my mind on a few hills this month.
Old 04-22-20, 09:42 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Santa Clara. There were 50 positives in a sample of >3000 asymptomatic responders to a FB ad. Also interesting was a >13% positive rate in women admitted to a labor and delivery service at a Manhattan hospital. Both of these are likely overestimates of the prevalence of antibodies in the population. The NIAID has a 10,000 person serosurvey underway too. We'll have a better understanding soon. All that said, there is major concern about the specificity of the existing antibody tests, all of which may cross-react with other coronaviruses, thereby inflating the estimates.
Related

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/22/roch...rs-ethics.html
Likes For Velo Vol:
Old 04-22-20, 09:46 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Intimately.
Old 04-22-20, 09:50 AM
big john

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
It would probably be pretty empty at 4:30 am. You might have to take dawn patrol ride lessons from @Heathpack
Naw, I don't need to ride in the dark. Before the shutdown some members of one of the clubs I ride with were doing a 5:30 a.m. ride twice a week. No thanks. Yesterday was one year since I retired.
Old 04-22-20, 10:05 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
LA County has done a better designed study too, just announced results yesterday. They found greater seroprevalence than expected but not as high as in the NoCal study.

However as I understand it they both used the same test methodology and there are some questions as to its reliability.

Have you read the not-yet-peer-reviewed draft of the NoCal study? I have and I was confused by something in their methods section. In determining specificity of the test, they ran it on three groups of blood samples. Two of these control sample groups were small, in the 30 sample range, and the test had no false negatives. The other sample group was larger, almost 400 samples. These were preCOVID samples (whatever that means, I’d make them define that if I were reviewing the paper! But presumably blood samples collected from a time far enough in the past that the patients from who the samples were taken could not possibly have been infected with this novel corona virus). In this larger sample, they had 4 positives, so a false positive rate of 10.1%. Yet they calculate their test specificity to be something like 97.7%. Seems to me like that’s too high of a specificity for a test that had a 10% false positive rate in the largest control group tested. But I’m bad at stats.

Since their study group was something just under 4000 people, if we apply the 10% false positive rate to that group, you’d get 40 positives. The study subject group had far less positives than that- ie *all* the positives in the study sample could have been false positives. So it’s seems like a hugely flawed study to me, it will be interesting to see if it makes it through review.

Also the interesting thing with their case recruitment being through FB ads. That seems to me like they really could have biased their study sample towards people who thought they’d been sick with COVID but couldn’t get tested. Those would be the people IMO who would be most motivated to seek out testing, and the way FB works it’s easy to be connected to likeminded people in the same boat as you. So I could see that the study participants were skewed towards people who suspected they’d had the disease.

Then did you catch the fact that signing up for the study was first come first served, and if you got in, you were allowed to bring a child from your household. When you look at the number of children in the study, you realize that around 50% of the study samples were from two people in the same household. So if you’d already selected inavertently for COVID suspects, now you’ve just doubled your expected number of positives because you’ve included some many in-contact samples from the same household.

Bottom line: I think that study is such as mess, or at least it is as I can understand it fromhow it’s written now, that it may be impossible to get much of anything out of it. If you haven’t seen the released early draft of the study, I can link to it.

Last edited by Heathpack; 04-22-20 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-22-20, 10:12 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by Heathpack
LA County has done a better designed study too, just announced results yesterday. They found greater seroprevalence than expected but not as high as in the NoCal study.

However as I understand it they both used the same test methodology and there are some questions as to its reliability.

Have you read the not-yet-peer-reviewed draft of the NoCal study? I have and I was confused by something in their methods section. In determining specificity of the test, they ran it on three groups of blood samples. Two of these control sample groups were small, in the 30 sample range, and the test had no false negatives. The other sample group was larger, almost 400 samples. These were preCOVID samples (whatever that means, I’d make them define that if I were reviewing the paper! But presumably blood samples collected from a time far enough in the past that the patients from who the samples were taken could not possibly have been infected with this novel corona virus). In this larger sample, they had 4 positives, so a false positive rate of 10.1%. Yet they calculate their test specificity to be something like 97.7%. Seems to me like that’s too high of a specificity for a test that had a 10% false positive rate in the largest control group tested. But I’m bad at stats.

Since their study group was something just under 4000 people, if we apply the 10% false positive rate to that group, you’d get 40 positives. The study subjects had far less positives than that. So it’s seems like a hugely flawed study to me, it will be interesting to see if it makes it through review.

Also the interesting thing with their case recruitment being through FB ads. That seems to me like they really could have biased their study sample towards people who thought they’d been sick with COVID but couldn’t get tested. Those would be the people IMO who would be most motivated to seek out testing, and the way FB works it’s easy to be connected to likeminded people in the same boat as you. So I could see that the study participants were skewed towards people who suspected they’d had the disease.

Then did you catch the fact that signing up for the study was first come first served, and if you got in, you were allowed to bring a child from your household. When you look at the number of children in the study, you realize that around 50% of the study samples were from two people in the same household. So if you’d already selected inavertently for COVID suspects, now you’ve just doubled your expected number of positives because you’ve included some many in-contact samples from the same household.

Bottom line: I think that study is such as mess, or at least it is as I can understand it fromhow it’s written now, that it may be impossible to get much of anything out of it. If you haven’t seen the released early draft of the study, I can link to it.
You're clearly ahead of me! I'll have to find the LA study or wait for the experts on the NIH COVID listserv to take it apart today.

Yes, I saw about the kids. Huge selection bias there. The NIAID study is trying to avoid this by telling everyone upfront that they won't get their results.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.