Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Use Wahoo Tickr and Elemnt as a walking/running HR monitor?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 12-20-20, 12:54 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts

Has anyone done this? I have a Elemnt and a Tickr, and I want to use them as an HR monitor for walking. I'm starting indoor base training and I want to account for exerise (load?) gained from walks and hikes with my wife. Or, can the Tickr talk to an Iphone 11's Health app? I'm open to other strategies, but I'd like to stay with the Tickr.

Anybody see any problems?
Old 12-21-20, 02:30 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
The Tickr works fine for other activities. I use mine for walking and jogging. No problems.

But I use it with the Wahoo Fitness app on my phones, not an Element or other bike computer. I also used it with Strava, before Strava discontinued support for devices such as heart rate monitors last year. While Strava says they're phasing back in support for devices I haven't tried them yet.

And the Tickr and other devices worked with other mobile apps for activities. The main issue is disabling auto-pause/resume, or changing the threshold to suit your usual pace for walking or running.

My bike computer, a XOSS G+, works only with bike rides or activities that closely mimic bike rides. The auto-pause feature is set at a fairly low threshold for cycling but high for walking/jogging, around 3-5 mph, and cannot be adjusted, so it would pause too often during my walks and slow jogging.
Old 12-22-20, 02:24 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
My wife walks two to three times a day and uses her Tickr paired to Cyclemeter. Cyclemeter also has a setting for walking where there is no threshold for auto-pause. The makers of Cyclemeter also have an app called Runmeter, which would probably be a little better for running and walking.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 12-26-20, 06:30 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
I've used it with Cyclemeter for hiking, rock climbing and even sleep monitoring. The HR function works just fine for all. I have had to replace a Tickr when they became wildly inaccurate after a year or two and a new battery didn't fix it.

Cyclemeter does have an issue with climbing, even on the hiking setting since it detects almost no lateral movement and thinks you are standing still, but the HR vs time function works just fine. Just all the distance related parameters are off.

I have had an odd malfunction happen lately and wonder if anyone else has seen this.

HR indicates way high, almost exactly double, but if I turn it upside down, (Logo upside down) it works accurately.

It only developed this problem a month or so ago. Anyone else had this happen?