Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Removing SRAM X01 DH Crank to adjust spacing on MRP G3 Chainguide Spacing

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-21, 06:38 PM
lyle.coop

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc, Canyon Spectral

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts

I'm trying to remove my cranks (2015 SRAM X01 DH ) in order to adjust the spacers behind chainguide (MRP G3 Mini Carbon). I don't think I can get to the spacers without removing the crank. I undid the non-drive side cranks 10mm and 8mm hex. I cant pull the crank arm off.

Any suggestions?

I took the upper chainguide off a few years ago, b/c it was never spaced out correctly by Giant. I haven't ridden the bike in a few years. And I'd like to get the upper guide back on.

As you can see from the pics, the upper guide doesn't sit properly above the chainring.

Thanks

Old 09-04-21, 11:03 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Put the crank bolt (8mm hex) back on, cinch but no need to torque it. Put the cover nut with the 10mm hex back on and torque it to spec. You weren't supposed to take that one off. Unscrew the bolt with the 8mm hex and it will ride up on the inside of the nut and extract the crank.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 09-05-21, 02:29 PM
lyle.coop

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Put the crank bolt (8mm hex) back on, cinch but no need to torque it. Put the cover nut with the 10mm hex back on and torque it to spec. You weren't supposed to take that one off. Unscrew the bolt with the 8mm hex and it will ride up on the inside of the nut and extract the crank.
thanks darth. Will try tomorrow.
Old 09-08-21, 10:14 AM
lyle.coop

Worked perfectly. Thanks.

I pulled the spacers off the chainguide and now the chain runs in a straighter line. However even when I rotate the bottom of the chain guide away from the chainstays the chainstay is 1-2mm away from the frame. That doesn't seem right. I pulled up Giant's stock picture of the 2015 Glory Advanced 0 and there's a decent amount of space from the chainguide and the chainstay.

I think the thing the chainguide bolts into wasn't set correct at the factory. Can I just pull the drive side crank and move the chainguide mount tab to a more suitable location? Or do I need special tools.

Here's picture of how it should look and what my guide looks like:

Last edited by lyle.coop; 09-10-21 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-08-21, 10:41 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I'm not a mechanic but I can help Google! I found this old thread on Pinkbike that says 2005 Glory uses original ISCG in a wide angle version and not ISCG-05, so that's something to check, if you have the right one for your bike

https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listc...1152&pagenum=2
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-10-21, 09:25 AM
lyle.coop

I'm not a mechanic but I can help Google! I found this old thread on Pinkbike that says 2005 Glory uses original ISCG in a wide angle version and not ISCG-05, so that's something to check, if you have the right one for your bike

https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listc...1152&pagenum=2
Thanks Darth. I actually mistyped 2005. It's a 2015. Corrected. I'll pull the crank off and play with it.