Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Introduce Yourselves!

Old 01-31-21, 09:29 PM
archi_jbg4
LookingforaStowe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
New here

Well new to the forum however I noticed the other day I haven't been seeing just below 200# for a bit now. 6'-2" and 210 to 215, haven't ridden much in the past year and trying to change that a little bit each week. I have a beater Nishiki mountain bike that I can run slicks on, I have a Trek Alpha 1.2, and a Stowe road bike that has great specs but just doesn't fit me.
Old 02-10-21, 05:05 AM
Janus60

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma K8S, Look 595 Ultra, Giant Cadex CFR2, CANNONDALE Super V Raven 4000 SX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Bonjour ! New here...

I'm French from France/Switzerland. 61 y.o. About 157lbs, 5'9". I ride a 2018 Pinarello Dogma K8S and recently rebuilt/upgraded an old vintage Cadex CFR2 (bought in 1992) as my winter spare bike. My MTB is a cannondale super raven 4000sx (bought in 2001)

My goals are to live a healthy live, lose weight, and enjoy myself.
Old 02-14-21, 06:58 PM
65Marinoni

Bikes: 65cm Marinoni ,Trek Ion Cx 61 cm , Trek 2.3 ( false 64cm... )

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Je m'Introduce moi-même

My ''Dead'' Crack N' Fail .. Cannondale Optimo 63cm . I bought it brand new & after only 2 years , an all around crack appears around the down tube : very scary .
Salut !
I'm1.93m tall , 88kg , I ride a 65cm custom Marinoni localy built in Lachenaie Québec , a ''dead'' 63cm Cannondale Optimo , a Trek 2.3 64cm ( a 61cm in reality ... I hate sloping top tube ) , a 57.5cm Marin Pine Mtn XXL , what else ...an old Raleigh Record 25'' , a Trek Ion cx 61 cm .

Last edited by 65Marinoni; 02-14-21 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-12-21, 10:49 PM
Andyota

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Langster, 1997, 1999 and 2000 Schwinn Homegrown, a couple 1990s Mongoose IBOC MTBs.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
The new guy again

Good evening,

I've been a bike enthusiast (addict) since I was 5. Have waaaay too many bikes at this point (by my count (2) 1990s OEM mongoose MTBs, (3) Schwinn Homegrown MTB builds, and a 2012 Specialized Langster SS).

Life took over for a number of years with grad school, marriage, kids, emotional eating, etc, and here I am. I'm 46, 6', 305#, and have yet to have any negative impacts on these bikes aside from maybe suspension forks that need upgraded springs. I would not be the same without biking, I need the endorphins and love the exercise factor as well.

I'm hoping to find a group of like-minded heavier riders to get feedback from and share my weight loss success as it comes. Also new bike purchase pointers.

Thanks for the opportunity to join.

Andy
Old 04-14-21, 07:48 AM
Topless68

Bikes: 2011 Rocky Moutain Solo CXR, 1985 Norco Avanti SL, 2004 Raleigh Tomahawk ATB

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 19 Posts
Hello Clydes,
5'11" dude started riding and running a few years back. lost my dad to heart problems, and wanted to make a change for my 2 sons...went from 270lbs to 225lbs in a little less than a year. I loved it, racing CX (grass roots level), road riding all year 'round - including winter here in Ontario. Went from a 54 pant to a 40 pant felt fantastic! Unfortunately, in the last few years, my life has been super busy, and I've fallen out of the habit, and my 2011 Rocky Mountain Solo CXR gives me guilty side-eye every time i walk past it. My weight has gone back up a bit, but i know that once I start riding, it'll melt away again.

Now the summer is here, and I'm making promises to myself to get back out. I'm "shopping" for a vintage road bike that I can leave at my office, so i can get out at lunch times, saves me from carting my racer back and forth.

Old 04-28-21, 05:55 PM
35_YEARS_LATER

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm retired Navy and I let myself go

Hello everyone I'm a retired Navy Sailor. I'm 51 years old and 290Lbs. About a 6 months ago at my last Dr's visit I was put on all these different medications. High this, High that... Everything is out of wack! So I started trying to walk and get some exercise... Walk is cool but I was like I wanted, NO! I needed something different, something that was going to push me. So I went to my local bike shop to purchased a bike. I had done a little research (very little) but I knew I wanted a gravel bike. You see, I was planning on riding on different terrain and it (Gravel bike) look sturdy enough to support all of my almost 300lbs. Plus, I eventually wanted to cummunte to work. Well, that bike was $3000 and I wasn't ready to fork over the cost of a used car on a bicycle. So I turned to Facebook Market Place. With no luck I returned to the bike shop and the gravel bike was sold. And with no new inventory in sight, I started talking to the shop owner and telling him my plan. He suggested I get a mountain bike and modify it a little. So I purchased a 2021 Specialized Rockhopper Sport changed the tires, and the handle bars and this is a perfect setup for me. I've been riding everyday for the last month. I've changed my diet... I haven't dropped any weight yet but I feel great. I'm glad I found this page.
Old 05-31-21, 08:02 PM
bald1der

Bikes: Cannondale CX3

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 24 Posts
Greetings, new to the forum, from North Carolina. 54 y/o Retired from the Army 4 years ago, 250 something lbs.. Just brought a new Cannondale Quick CX 3. Diagnosed with Afib a couple years ago, and got back into riding last summer to try and get back into shape.
Likes For bald1der:
Old 06-02-21, 08:25 AM
scotlandtb

Bikes: Colnago Master X-lite 2008, Trek Roscoe 7 2021

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi All,

Not new to the forum - but its been about 10 years since I have been on / posted. Was active cycling in the 2010 /2011 timeframe and went from 330s down to 220s Cycling and eating primal. 10 years later (and daughter now 10 yrs old) I am having to start over again as the weight crept back on as life interrupted. Im now 50 and 305 (down from 335 a few months ago), working remotely with a personal trainer and got back on my road bike for a 9 mile ride this Sunday. Trying to take advantage of my road bike (Colnago Master X-Lite got back in 2010) as well as a new Trek Roscoe 7 I got in November. Wondering if any of the people from back in 2010/2011 are still around.

Steve

Likes For scotlandtb:
Old 06-03-21, 02:01 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by scotlandtb
Hi All,

Not new to the forum - but its been about 10 years since I have been on / posted. Was active cycling in the 2010 /2011 timeframe and went from 330s down to 220s Cycling and eating primal. 10 years later (and daughter now 10 yrs old) I am having to start over again as the weight crept back on as life interrupted. Im now 50 and 305 (down from 335 a few months ago), working remotely with a personal trainer and got back on my road bike for a 9 mile ride this Sunday. Trying to take advantage of my road bike (Colnago Master X-Lite got back in 2010) as well as a new Trek Roscoe 7 I got in November. Wondering if any of the people from back in 2010/2011 are still around.

Steve
(image trimmed for brevity)
Welcome back Steve! Hoping your new weight loss journey is fruitful. 😊
Old 06-03-21, 02:02 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by bald1der
Greetings, new to the forum, from North Carolina. 54 y/o Retired from the Army 4 years ago, 250 something lbs.. Just brought a new Cannondale Quick CX 3. Diagnosed with Afib a couple years ago, and got back into riding last summer to try and get back into shape.
Welcome! Hoping for the best health/weight outcome for you. 😊
Likes For Mark Stone:
Old 07-10-21, 10:12 AM
jeneralist 

Bikes: DOST Kope CVT e-bike; Bilenky Ti Tourlite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 23 Posts
Another voice from the past!

I started on bikeforums in 2009, posted regularly 2010-2014ish, and am just starting back. Good to see a familiar face.
Old 08-03-21, 04:11 AM
FractalSquirrel
Clydesquirrel

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
From the past here too, I joined this forum in 2007. Recently I got a bicycle after not riding in a long time, and I'm starting up again to try and fight delayed onset muscle soreness by getting in better shape.
Old 10-03-21, 06:59 AM
luteplayers

Bikes: Trek Verve 2 Disc, Rage Red

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Another retired US Navy guy. 60 y/o and just fully retired from my 2nd career as did my wife.

After retiring from the Navy my weight had crept up to 270; I'm 5'8". I have got down to 233 with diet and lifestyle changes. Currently waiting on Verve 2s for my wife and I; hurry up November. In my 30s I owned a '91 Schwinn Series 5 PDG Paramout. I did quite a bit of riding with it. Had aero bar for it and used to ride with a couple sailor buddies that were into metric triathlons.

At 270 I was not comfortable with that bike and lived a mile down a dirt road. My wife and I got Diamondback comfort bikes mostly due to the gravel. I really liked the upright position and not being clipped into the pedals.

We gave those to my step daughter before our move to North Carolina, and ordered the Verves once we got down here.

I have Chronic Kidney Disease which was caused by leukemia 12 years ago (very rare to have that happen). With the high blood pressure meds I'm on, I need to really watch my hydration. Looking forward to getting back below 200, and not having to clear 15 feet of snow in the winter. Hopefully the much longer riding season will help me stay in shape once I get there.

Last edited by luteplayers; 10-04-21 at 09:39 AM.
Likes For luteplayers:
Old 11-02-21, 12:25 PM
SquishyBiker

Bikes: 2014 Avanti Circa (Rd Dist), 2020 Giant Toughroad (Rd Tour), 2021 Trek Allant+ 8S (eCommute), 2021 Scott Aspect 940 (Mt HT), 2014 Santa Cruz Superlight 29er (Mt FS), 2022 Scott Spark 960 (Mt FS)

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 26 Posts
Hi team,
Past sports car lover, food lover, and infrequent sufferer of depression here - I'm currently 5"7' and around 247lb, thanks to unfortunate personal choices and circumstances.

About 6 years ago I rode a "fun" ride of about 95 miles in just under 7 hours, and I'm considering trying that again - I managed to get down to about 220lb for that ride, and it would be nice to get even lighter on a more permanent basis.
I've got back into a good headspace and am just getting out for decent time on the bike - not really worrying about distance at this stage, keeping my long rides around 2 hours at a modest pace.
I managed to get a Garmin 1030 Plus at a good price, and I found an old Garmin HR strap thats compatible, so I subscribed to Strava to see the extra data and am taking each ride as it happens.
I have a troubled stomach that doesn't seem to like oily food, so for now I'm fighting a battle with what I can eat on the bike.

Thats all for now!
Old 01-22-22, 01:24 AM
SilverBrd

Bikes: Himiway Step-thru Cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New member, glad to be considered a Clydesdale a fine breed, now retired Analytical Chemist, just recently turned 69, and on a self imposed weight loss program and I have hit a plateau after losing 55 lbs in the past 8 months. Keto diet and intermittent fasting got me to 301# at 5’ 10” BMI of 42 and legs of jelly. Just bought a Himiway Cruiser, and tried it yesterday, managed to do 2.6 miles with some pedal assist at the end to get me home. Looking forward to some more enjoyable rides and losing the fat.

SilverBrd
Old 02-01-22, 12:47 AM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts
Ive been on the forums a while and with an assortment of bikes over the years Im 55 and disabled after a lifetime of working on cars. My weight that Ive vbatteled wince a kid and then later develeloped arthritus took me of the work game . Im 5-10 and if about thanksgiving was about 238 Lbs

I sold my Electra Cruiser one for a 7D as My knees wouldn't take the coaster and I needed more gearing> I also sold my ELectra Moto 31 as I couldnt take the lean and it needed mire gear.

Picked uo a 7d changed the grips, pedal and seat and it was a just so much more comfortable just a blast to ride see below
Lastly I missed a little off road and picked up a Mongoose Dolomite ALX. Changed all the touch points and adjusted the stem and riser, New Brooks saddle Grips and pedals and rode it thst way all summer. Just picked up rapid fires as I ddnt li

Great bike jus tough on the knees

Super fun bike but needed more gears

Awesome bike and super comfortable Changed the seat to a Brooks B33 with a saddle bag, some brooks plump grips and a rapidfire shifter Bear trap pedals..Great cruiser

MY Mongoose ALX CHanged the seat Brooks B135, stem and riser for fitment , upgraded the Brake levers to Shimano and am waiting for some rapid fire shifters, the ones on the bike work ok but are awkwardIt just goes anywhere

I was in the high 230s right at Thanksgiving and down to about 225 after Chritmas I caught covid and ended up n the hospital and when I ended my stay I was at 211.5
Im hoping to be in better shape in a few weeks when i see my dr and not have gained any weight and hoepfull more mayby getting to 210 and sub 200 by June
Old 02-18-22, 09:37 PM
bikenraider
HTX Road Warrior

Bikes: Road Bikes: 2000's Lemond Tourmalet, Alpe d'Huez, Mailott Jaune, Wayzata, Buenos Aires, Zurich, Nevada City, Fillmore; 1997 Diamondback Expert, 2000's Bianchi Veloce, Eros, 2004 KHS Flite 800, 1984 Gitane

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Evening folks. Old-new rider returning after life got in the way. Based out of Houston, TX but I rode/ride all over. I raced MTB in college and then road bikes after graduation. Once I left racing I got into touring and then slipped off the bike with a job promotion. I'm back now and enjoying the sport again. 5'9" and tipping the scales ar 250ish.
I am getting back into touring and have cleaned out the shed and dusted off my rides. I am a Lemond aficionado! My first ride is an 01 Lemond Tourmalet upgraded to Campy Centaur 10sp on custom built wheels. I've got about a dozen or so bikes in the stable and ride each of them at least once a week , save for my 05 Carbon/OX platinum Lemond Mailott Jaune. That is what prompted me to get serious again about making the time to ride. That bike is a dream hanging on the wall, but is better when it's on the road
Old 02-24-22, 02:43 PM
DEK

Bikes: '11 Felt Z85

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Just re-joined the forums today after a long hiatus. Life issues got in the way so haven't been riding in a very long time and my weight shows it. Ballooned up to 262 lbs. when I should be around 210. Now that things have settled down in my life, going to get back on the bike and get back on my trainer during the inclement weather days so I can start shedding some of this excess baggage.
Likes For DEK:
Old 02-25-22, 07:10 PM
GF Procaliber

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Clydesdale, eh? I fluctuate between 198 - 210, mostly in the 200s, though.

My rides:
1991 Gary Fisher Procaliber
1991 Bianchi Advantage
1987 Schwinn Sierra (black chrome)
1999 Diamond Back Ascent MTB - Big BMX conversion
Likes For GF Procaliber:
Old 02-25-22, 08:03 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 283 Posts
Hello fellow riders. I am an old rider that has had a 10ish year hiatus from riding. I'm 57, 6ft @ 235Lbs.
A heart attack and 2 stents at 40 put riding on the back burner for 2 years or so and after that, I pretty much quit riding. Some out of fear.
I've ridden road, MTB, Fixie, and dirt jumpers. Getting back into casual trail riding for exercise and hopefully, a bit of weight loss.
My current rides:
1997 GT STS DH
2006? Trek Alpha 3700
Likes For Desert Ryder:
Old 03-08-22, 03:36 PM
Velogoth

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts
Hello all! 280lb, 6'1", 38 year old male rider from New Hampshire, US here. I'm a stress eater, so I gained 100 lbs in college (305 max weight). After graduating I lost 105 lbs through changing eating habits, running, and cycling on my 2008 Trek 1.2.

Since I became a parent, I "found" most of the pounds I lost (funny how that happens). Now that my daughter is 6, I've found more time to ride. I don't have any goals for changing my weight because I no longer think that's a helpful way of feeling about my body. What I really want to do is put a hell of a lot of miles under my tires.

I'm commuting almost daily, year round, on my Surly Straggler, and I just bought my first vintage steel road bike (1986 Miele Beta). I'm way too heavy for the Ishiwata 022 tubeset on the Miele, but I'm going to ride it anyway because good bikes deserve to die on the road and not by rusting in a garage.
Likes For Velogoth:
Old 03-23-22, 04:19 PM
xiholdtruex

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Hello all Im new to the site, not new to riding but have not rode in around 8 years. im from south florida Im currently at 5'8 and 372 lbs. Pulled out my old Raleigh C40 and started riding again. Ordered a Mongoose Hitch fat bike to more readily handle my weight but using the c40 till my bike comes in. Can only ride about a mile at the moment before my legs are as sore as can be but im going to keep at it. Its nice to find a site with such knowledgeable accepting members. Hope to loose weight and get the family cycling also.
Likes For xiholdtruex:
Old 04-11-22, 08:01 PM
DeadSlow

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 53 Posts
Hello, I already threw up an intro on the main part of the site but I'll throw another one here too.

I'm a nearly 50 yr old male that weighs about 130kg and about 193cms tall. I know I am overweight but I don't feel super fat. I've kind of been around bikes all my life although I haven't ridden them the whole time. My grand father and father used to race bikes (back in the 1930's and 50's respectively) but I've only ever ridden then as a part of being a kid and a silly adult. I spent about 25 years as a long haul truck driver hauling road trains from one side of the country to the other, so exercise really wasn't high on the agenda. I know that's only an excuse because exercise can be done anywhere but spending 16 hours a day 6 days a week driving really doesn't make exercise very inviting.

So anyway here I am nearly 50 and probably riding to loose weight but not actually thinking about it, (because thinking about it makes it harder I'm sure ). I ride a 12 month old MTB with 29x2.10 Kendra all terrain tyres (they came with the bike) only on bitumen and I do between 50 and 80ks a week. But in the last month or so I've started to break spokes, only one at a time and not every time. My riding style hasn't changed, I haven't put on any weight, I don't ride up kerbs or anything hard, although the roads around me are quite rough despite being sealed. Not long back I did try running a higher pressure in my rear tire than the shop leaves them at when they service it. I don't know if that's had anything to do with the broken spokes but the shop sets the pressure at about 38psi and I was trying out between 40 and 45 (the tyres are rated for between 30 and 50) just to see if the comfort level changed. The bike shop has been good with me and fixed the spokes under warranty and they haven't blamed me or my weight for the brakes (they also recommended that bike for me), but I am starting to worry that out of warranty they might not be so nice.

Anyway that's my story, I'll go and have a look around and see what everyone else is doing.
Cheers
Old 04-13-22, 08:25 AM
FatOldFart

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 16 Posts
Looking to get back into cycling after being off the bike for way too long. Currently tipping the scale at 237 pounds, I'm hoping that getting back on the bike, in addition to a few other lifestyle changes I'm making, will help me drop about 25 to 30 pounds over the coming months. This forum looks like a good place to pick up tips and encouragement. Looking forward to the journey.
Old 04-16-22, 09:34 AM
CitizenDave
Re-Cycling Italian Steel

Bikes: '87 Bottecchia Tour, '83 Bianchi Nuovo Racing v12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I named my Bottecchia Peppermint Patty

Hi there everyone. I am not too sure this is the right forum. My story is about weight control AND rebuilding a vintage bike. They go together in my case. Here is a quick intro. I rode quite a bit in college and grad school but then career got in the way. That was 35 years ago now. While poking around on eBay I ran across a rebuild opportunity for a 1987 Bottecchia like the one I used to own so many years ago (originally bought it at Stuyvesant in the village) and I guess that reawakened the urge to get back in the saddle. It was really a frame that needed repaint and all the components - but nothing I couldn't handle. Trouble is I tipped the scale at 312 (not a typo)! So the Bottecchia and I both are on a journey that hopefully leads to the Strada de Bianca of L'Eroica in a couple of years, at least that is the plan and time frame I have given to get the weight off and find the parts for this Italian masterpiece. I have no "goal" weight except that I don't damage my Botty Baby (I also have a heavier framed Bianchi Tretubi Trainer that I love). I will never be a twig but if I can get to the point where I can fully enjoy these bikes again, I am a happy guy.

Wish me luck and stay tuned, I'll tell you how it goes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.