Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Side car electric

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Side car electric

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-08, 09:43 PM
DAN HOWITT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Side car electric

Do ya think, to make electric biking a more practical mode of trans, they better do side-cars? So there can be more than one person?

How fast is safe for an electric bike with a side car?

Safety issues? Prolly tires would need to be wider.

Dan Howitt
Old 10-15-08, 11:43 PM
Duracutter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DAN HOWITT
Do ya think, to make electric biking a more practical mode of trans, they better do side-cars? So there can be more than one person?

Dan Howitt
This idea is probably pushing the limit. There's enough problems with getting the bike moving properly with good batteries, the inherent dangers of a side car....

Old 10-16-08, 07:18 AM
cerewa
put our Heads Together

Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
See the electrified Xtracycle bike in the photos thread (sticky thread) on this forum.

Xtracycles are designed to carry two adults - one rider and one passenger.
Old 10-16-08, 09:38 AM
crackerdog

Bikes: xtracycle, electric recumbent, downtube folder and more

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I see very few motorcycles with sidecars and motorcycles haven't stopped being used because they aren't practical enough.
Old 10-16-08, 06:20 PM
Duracutter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dan Howitt
hehe... I reread your post and man, what kind of legs would a person need, you'd have frame issues, width issues and on and on and then never mind the electric motor... you might want to go easy on the pipe...

Old 10-17-08, 03:06 AM
recumelectric
It's easy being green.

Bikes: Trek Beach Cruiser, Sun X-2 AX (bent)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Duracutter
hehe... I reread your post and man, what kind of legs would a person need, you'd have frame issues, width issues and on and on and then never mind the electric motor... you might want to go easy on the pipe...

Hey, play nice!

Maybe the idea wouldn't work, but no need for insults. Plus, there are people who build crazy alternative and recumbent bikes all of the time. Some work, and some don't. But all the variations on bikes that we have came from someone who looked at things a little differently.

...Personally, I wouldn't want a side car, as I feel it would impair my ability to turn as I like. It's different on 2 wheels alone. ...I kind of like the detachable tandem things that I've seen. With a motor, a couple of folks could go far.
Old 10-17-08, 09:38 PM
Duracutter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by recumelectric
Hey, play nice!

Maybe the idea wouldn't work, but no need for insults. Plus, there are people who build crazy alternative and recumbent bikes all of the time. Some work, and some don't. But all the variations on bikes that we have came from someone who looked at things a little differently.

...Personally, I wouldn't want a side car, as I feel it would impair my ability to turn as I like. It's different on 2 wheels alone. ...I kind of like the detachable tandem things that I've seen. With a motor, a couple of folks could go far.
huh... I didn't think I was harsh, maybe sarcastic!! After some other posts around here, I was plain polite...lol

You have to admit, it's a wicked idea...anyways... to each his own I guess.

Old 10-18-08, 12:35 AM
recumelectric
It's easy being green.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
huh... I didn't think I was harsh, maybe sarcastic!! After some other posts around here, I was plain polite...lol

You have to admit, it's a wicked idea...anyways... to each his own I guess.

Yeah, I've seen some severe rudeness around here as well. There are a few difficult folks in the forum, and I think there are some trolls out there who come around just to throw out comments that instigate stuff. Also, there are some folks who have interacted a lot and can joke sarcastically without true malice. But there are also lots of nice folks who come here to chat about bikes and life and life with bikes.

...Honestly, if what you said was absolutely horrible and I thought that you were hopeless, I probably would have ignored and gone on. It just seemed a bit harsh for a pretty new member (check his newbie status) who was just throwing out an idea. I'd hate to see us run somone off with a smart alecky comment.

...Now I'm done with my hijack.
Old 10-18-08, 01:07 AM
Duracutter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by recumelectric
Yeah, I've seen some severe rudeness around here as well. There are a few difficult folks in the forum, and I think there are some trolls out there who come around just to throw out comments that instigate stuff. Also, there are some folks who have interacted a lot and can joke sarcastically without true malice. But there are also lots of nice folks who come here to chat about bikes and life and life with bikes.

...Honestly, if what you said was absolutely horrible and I thought that you were hopeless, I probably would have ignored and gone on. It just seemed a bit harsh for a pretty new member (check his newbie status) who was just throwing out an idea. I'd hate to see us run somone off with a smart alecky comment.

...Now I'm done with my hijack.
yeah, true that, life goes on and what's most important is riding and having fun.
Old 10-19-08, 03:36 AM
recumelectric
It's easy being green.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, true that, life goes on and what's most important is riding and having fun.
Definitely. Riding is just such a pleasure.
Old 10-19-08, 07:42 PM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Bikes: Retro Hercules adult tricycle, 1953 Hercules ladies roadster, 1950s Wearwell fixed gear 'Club' pathracer, 1980s Malvern Star 'Super Star', 1980s Healing GTX-105 Arabesque, 1980's Morrison Concorde & etc & etc.......

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Um...... a lot would depend on what you were wanting to haul about.

Check this out.......

I've been away for a while due to being needed elsewhere by the Church. I hope everyone has played nicely in my absence.
OMNIPOTENS aeterne Deus, qui nos secundum imaginem Tuam plasmasti, et omnia bona, vera, pulchra, praesertim in divina persona Unigeniti Filii Tui Domini nostri Iesu Christi, quaerere iussisti, praesta quaesumus ut, per intercessionem Sancti Isidori, Episcopi et Doctoris, in peregrinationibus per interrete factis et manus oculosque ad quae Tibi sunt placita intendamus et omnes quos convenimus cum caritate ac patientia accipiamus. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.
Old 10-19-08, 08:15 PM
liksmuzic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well Done!!

I always enjoy seeing creative minds putting ideas into reality.
Your bike sidecar shows you put a lot of thought into it, and I really like when
someone can recycle old bike parts into something usefull as this.

Keep up the good work!!, I especially like the wooden chain guard.
Old 10-20-08, 09:51 PM
DAN HOWITT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sianelle
Um...... a lot would depend on what you were wanting to haul about.

Check this out....... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9eorq8wUUQ

I've been away for a while due to being needed elsewhere by the Church. I hope everyone has played nicely in my absence.
Interesting. Thanks much for the video!
Old 10-21-08, 05:20 AM
Doug5150

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Dan Howitt
Aside from being wider, the main safety issues with bicycle sidecars is that a lot of home-built ones don't incorporate proper braking.
In short: the sidecar wheel needs a brake.
You NEVER see a motorcycle sidecar without a brake, and there is a good reason for that. With no brake on the sidecar wheel, under hard braking the sidecar tends to push the bicycle's front-end to the opposite side. The harder you brake, the worse the steering gets.

If you don't want to use (or can't use) a dual-cable lever, then it is probably better to disconnect the bicycle's front brake and route that lever/cable to the sidecar wheel.
~
Old 11-03-08, 02:35 PM
DAN HOWITT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug5150
Aside from being wider, the main safety issues with bicycle sidecars is that a lot of home-built ones don't incorporate proper braking.
In short: the sidecar wheel needs a brake.
You NEVER see a motorcycle sidecar without a brake, and there is a good reason for that. With no brake on the sidecar wheel, under hard braking the sidecar tends to push the bicycle's front-end to the opposite side. The harder you brake, the worse the steering gets.

If you don't want to use (or can't use) a dual-cable lever, then it is probably better to disconnect the bicycle's front brake and route that lever/cable to the sidecar wheel.
~
Good points.
Old 11-03-08, 06:03 PM
Robert_C

Bikes: Gaint, Schwinn, Specialized

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have seen gasoline powered bicycles with sidecars here in P.R. China. The bad news is that I saw them in Wuhan. For some reason gasoline powered bicycles seemed to be more popular there; where I am they all seem to be electric (but then, I am in a, geographically, smaller city).

The rear wheel of the bicycle was driven, not the sidecar wheel. The sidecar had no brakes. The sidecar was used to haul goods, not people. (sorry, no picture)