Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Spring is Coming: rain planning thread

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Old 02-03-18, 03:03 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
That cape is kind of a reverse mullet - a little too long in the front and too short in the back

but my hands stay dry in non waterproof gloves under a rain cape like that..

mine is even longer .. front draping over the bars, in front and the saddle in back ....

discontinued, Grundens 'Nordan' made for Rivendale bike, sales not sufficiently brisk, over past 6 years, so they won't re order another batch.

I wont need another, unlike fancy high tech stuff, this will be around and working, for decades..

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-12-18 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-04-18, 01:18 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
Cycling kit has always put rider visibility as well as comfort, form and function into basic designs for decades, with modern fabrics some eye-popping kit for any weather is readily available at reasonable prices. A glance at the Commuting, Touring or Long Distance sub-forums where BF members ride in a variety of weather conditions self-supported for considerable distances/time will show how it's done with practical well designed kit. No need to try to re-invent the wheel in LCF-style, this stuff has been well sorted for the last century or so already.

-Bandera
So, any actual tips for rainy day cycling?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-04-18, 08:09 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
So, any actual tips for rainy day cycling?
What did we learn over the many years when it started raining while out riding our bikes, if you do that sort of thing?

1) You will get wet, stay that way, get out of the rain or don appropriate rain kit and continue.

B) Your "stuff" will get wet, let it, get out of the rain or fit water resistant luggage and continue.

III) Your bike will get wet, the tires will fling a toxic mixture of water, automotive drippings, animal waste and herbicides upon you. Get soaked in wet filth or fit full fenders.

4) Wet roads reduce traction, ride accordingly.

e) Rain reduces visibility for all road users, ride accordingly and improve conspicuity.

Proceed, riding-in-rain-action pic attached.

Does LCF actually need a Primer on the basics of operating a bicycle as a mode of transportation in non-Bluebird weather? The BF sub-forum Commuting is dedicated to the practical considerations of getting here/there on time in a variety of weather conditions on a bicycle. With considerable practical experience, hardware reviews and 44,620 posts on the subject to peruse Commuting is a resource . Take a read, post a question on the subject of "Rain" and participate in the threads. Or pretend that operation of a bicycle in LCF-mode is somehow Unique, one or the other.

That being said a thread on any bicycle use at all however basic is a welcome surprise in LCF-land.

-Bandera
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
raincape.jpg (9.5 KB, 98 views)

Last edited by Bandera; 02-12-18 at 07:19 AM.
Old 02-04-18, 09:12 AM
Bandera
~>~

LCF-ers show some pics of Your bikes set-up for riding in the wet.

My Town Bike has seen lots of weather in the last 44 years of continuous service, the Winter/Wet bike is set-up like a traditional Audax machine for the long winter base-miles required for endurance in the Sport of Cycling. Both have a rain jacket stashed in the 'boot' just in case. Note how the '74 and '11 machines are both set-up like a 1935 British club machine for good reasons. This riding a bicycle in less than perfect conditions thing has been well thought out for a very long time.

-Bandera
Attached Images
Internat'l_14.jpg (794.8 KB, 110 views)
Soma_2.jpg (64.2 KB, 109 views)
Raleigh_Clubman.jpg (93.8 KB, 109 views)
Old 02-04-18, 11:23 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Because rain can happen at any time in Tasmania I bought a good quality comfortable rain jacket. At something in the neighbourhood of $200, it is a good investment.

Edit: This one: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5034-3...olution-Jacket ... $189 plus shipping! A bargain! I got it in yellow.

I do have rain tights with articulated knees as well ... something very much like these, or perhaps these are the ones:
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5033-251/Adanac-Tights I picked them up on sale for about $60 and love them.

I also have mudguards, helmet cover, and good quality rain gloves I picked up on sale for only about $50. Oh and several options for keeping my feet warm. They'll never be completely dry in rain but at least they'll be relatively warm.

With as much rain riding as we do it is all worth it.
I paid $10 for a nice Hyvent Northface with lots of pocket two weeks ago in the thrift. Of course it's a large, and I need a medium but it works.
I have an Outdoor Research Furio for rain riding.
Old 02-04-18, 11:40 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3939 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 87 Posts
That being said a thread on any bicycle use at all however basic is a welcome surprise in LCF-land.

-Bandera
Apparently not so welcome to you, since you went out of your way to ridicule it. Oh well, at least you followed up with a more informative post.
Old 02-04-18, 11:53 AM
Bandera
~>~

Apparently not so welcome to you, since you went out of your way to ridicule it. Oh well, at least you followed up with a more informative post.
The distinct lack of bicycle related posts in a BF sub-forum requires at least some ridicule.

And so, where's that informative pic of your wet weather equipped bike and some rain kit recommendations like:
Invest in a proper British cycling cape like those from Carradice
-Bandera
Old 02-04-18, 05:19 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

The distinct lack of bicycle related posts in a BF sub-forum requires at least some ridicule.

And so, where's that informative pic of your wet weather equipped bike and some rain kit recommendations like:

-Bandera
Lots of pics of my bikes on BF. I have a J&G cape. I like the cowl neck and the extra length, but the floppy thumb loops work poorly. One time I forgot to tie the waist string, and wasn't looped into the thumb loops, and as I rode through the U of Toronto campus a strong updraft blew the whole cape up like an inverted umbrella, totally blocking my view. Note to thread readers: do not make that mistake.

Last edited by cooker; 02-06-18 at 06:23 AM.
Old 02-05-18, 01:16 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Lots of pics of my bikes on BF. I have a J&G cape. I like the cowl neck and the extra length, but the floppy thumb loops work poorly. One time I forgot to tie the waste string, and wasn't looped into the thumb loops, and as I rode through the U of Toronto campus a strong updraft blew the whole cape up like an inverted umbrella, totally blocking my view. Note to thread readers: do not make that mistake.
Hope you were wearing nice Knickers!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-05-18, 06:22 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Hope you were wearing nice Knickers!
Well, I am mostly of Scottish descent...
Old 02-06-18, 01:42 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Well, I am mostly of Scottish descent...

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-06-18, 05:08 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
used to commute so I used to ride in the rain. now I prefer foul weather of the frozen sort. the big challenge I remember used to be the rear rack trunk bag. I eventually resorted to using a big ugly thick plastic compactor bag (out of desperation). I just put the whole trunk in the bag, then lashed it to the rack. albeit this was for the torrential downpours. now for wet sloppy rides I use a simple rain cover. of course combined with the obligatory "waterproof" trunk & fenders

& having used barmitts this fall & winter, I'll bet they would be helpful in heavy rain as well. but they might need a drain hole in the bottom?

this trunk can actually be used as a beer cooler

Old 02-06-18, 09:55 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
used to commute so I used to ride in the rain. now I prefer foul weather of the frozen sort. the big challenge I remember used to be the rear rack trunk bag. I eventually resorted to using a big ugly thick plastic compactor bag (out of desperation).

I just put the whole trunk in the bag, then lashed it to the rack. albeit this was for the torrential downpours. now for wet sloppy rides I use a simple rain cover. of course combined with the obligatory "waterproof" trunk & fenders
FYA, last year I replied to this thread, it's finally raining,who's gonna go play (see picture below)
is anyone out riding in the rain just for fun?
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I didn’t ride my 14 mile one way commute to work for fun this morning, about 10 miles in heavy rain, but it was the shakedown cruise for my new beater (but quality) Specialized Diverge Elite road bike. Right now the big fan is drying my clothes for the ride home in about four hours.

I spare the carbon fiber bike from wet roads to keep it clean. I also have aheavy duty mountain bike I now reserve for heavy-duty-studded-tire-winter riding. The Elite rides almost as nicely as my Carbon Fiber.

On one rain-riding thread, someone described road spray as a mixture of grease,road grime and liquefied road kill...you call that fun?
well done sir! nice setup! why cover the rack trunk with plastic inside?
I have a nice new Topeak Trunk Bag, but I am not sure how water resistant it is. Topeak has a nice rain cover accessory, but it was not available when I purchased, so I’m using a large plastic bag secured with a bungee cord.
re: road spray - you reminded me that on my old commute to W Newton there was a section at the 117 overpass over 128 where the sewer overflow smelled like a septic tank. I didn't realize what I was riding through until it was too late. needless to say, that was the end of sips from the water bottle
Attached Images
IMG_3176.jpg (94.1 KB, 85 views)

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-06-18 at 10:09 AM.
Old 02-06-18, 10:16 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
On one rain-riding thread, someone described road spray as a mixture of grease, road grime and liquefied road kill...you call that fun?]
re: road spray - you reminded me that on my old commute to W Newton there was a section at the 117 overpass over 128 where the sewer overflow smelled like a septic tank. I didn't realize what I was riding through until it was too late. needless to say, that was the end of sips from the water bottle
I cannot understand why more people don’t commute by bicycle.
Old 02-06-18, 01:42 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by Maelochs
I cannot understand why more people don’t commute by bicycle.
Old 02-06-18, 01:44 PM
rumrunn6

last year I replied to this thread
I remember that thread. maybe I was confused thinking your plastic bag was inside your trunk?

EDIT oh wait, no I think I was asking why cover your trunk with the plastic while everything is drying, as opposed to hanging the plastic bag elsewhere, so the trunk could dry out
Old 02-08-18, 12:54 PM
PdalPowr

Bikes: Norco hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts

this trunk can actually be used as a beer cooler

I am sure you meant to say that your beer cooler can actually be used as a trunk.
Priorities Sir,priorities.
Old 02-11-18, 01:24 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Spring is Coming: rain planning threadFYA, last year I replied to this thread, it's finally raining,who's gonna go play (see picture below)
set-up. The fan is another item not often thought of as rain equipment, but it really is. Likewise a drying rack or clothesline for the wet stuff. Unless you have everything duplicated, you usually need to wear the same gear less than 24 hours later, if it's still raining.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-11-18, 04:02 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

set-up. The fan is another item not often thought of as rain equipment, but it really is. Likewise a drying rack or clothesline for the wet stuff. Unless you have everything duplicated, you usually need to wear the same gear less than 24 hours later, if it's still raining.
Unless you have a duplicate at everything and tore it at work, likely you will be putting on that stuff in 8-10 hours.

+1 for fans.
Old 02-12-18, 12:09 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
As spring approaches in the northern hemisphere of Earth, you may be contemplating the issue of rain and how you will deal with it car-free. What gear, techniques, and curses/blessings will you utilize to deal with rain? Are you sticking with tried-and-true methods or considering new innovations? What tech/gear would you like to see developed and/or popularized so that it is available at an affordable price in local stores?
So ... when the spring rain comes to your part of the world, what clothing/equipment do you use?
Old 02-12-18, 01:14 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
So ... when the spring rain comes to your part of the world, what clothing/equipment do you use?
I wouldn't be so territorial as to consider it "my part of the world," but when it rains, I generally use a poncho. I've considered getting a rain suit with pants, but that might be too hot. I wear shoes that don't absorb water, and I squeeze out my socks if they get soaked. I carry clothes to work and change when I get there, so I use a strong, waterproof bag to carry them. Thick garbage bags are good because you can throw them away and replace them cheaply when they start to wear out. I like good waterproof gear, but it irritates me when it starts to wear out after it cost so much.
Old 02-12-18, 01:50 PM
Bandera
~>~

I like good waterproof gear, but it irritates me when it starts to wear out after it cost so much.
As a rule over decades of cycling I've found that good quality well fitted kit is less expensive over the long run of use than "bargain" or non-cycling-specific stuff.
The patina of use on equipment is a badge of honor, if not a fashion statement.

-Bandera
Old 02-12-18, 02:58 PM
Maelochs

I have been using the same Cannondale panniers since 1989. I have a couple other sets, and I have had to pretty much completely rebuild the Cannondales ... but I love them. Even when they really showed their age .... after 15 years of daily use ... they still worked fine. When the zippers busted I attached velcro tabs and also bungeed them shut. They never let me down. I rebuilt them because I wanted to.

Thick garbage bags are good because you can throw them away and replace them cheaply when they start to wear out. I like good waterproof gear, but it irritates me when it starts to wear out after it cost so much.
For a tree-lover, I am surprised you are so cavalier with your treatment of petroleum products.

Plastic bags are a potential part of the picture, but they are not at all durable ... unless protected. I can use the panniers to hold the plastic bags and the bags last a long, long time.

My latest solution is to buy lightweight dry-bags---more reliable waterproofing, much more durable, and inside the panniers they should last past the end of my life. I am not a fan of disposable ... but it is built into modern life, and if you give trash bags one more use than they would have gotten, that is one step forward.
Old 02-12-18, 03:56 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
As a rule over decades of cycling I've found that good quality well fitted kit is less expensive over the long run of use than "bargain" or non-cycling-specific stuff.
The patina of use on equipment is a badge of honor, if not a fashion statement.
I'm not concerned with making a fashion statement. I just don't want to spend a lot on rain gear and have the waterproof coating wear off. I have the same concern with tarps, which can be very expensive for ultra light weight models, which I would like to experiment with - but which I'm afraid will wear out after being packed and unpacked dry and damp for a long time. So I think it's better to just get a basic inexpensive poncho, tarp, etc. and replace it with a new one when it wears out. I would like things that last longer, but I just don't trust the more expensive items because I don't believe that people are really keeping them long enough and using them ruggedly enough to really test them. Also, I tend to trust the testimonials of expensive merchandise less because I figure there's that much more money in lying about how good the product is and suppressing criticism of it.
Old 02-12-18, 04:08 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

I'm not concerned with making a fashion statement. I just don't want to spend a lot on rain gear and have the waterproof coating wear off. I have the same concern with tarps, which can be very expensive for ultra light weight models, which I would like to experiment with - but which I'm afraid will wear out after being packed and unpacked dry and damp for a long time. So I think it's better to just get a basic inexpensive poncho, tarp, etc. and replace it with a new one when it wears out. I would like things that last longer, but I just don't trust the more expensive items because I don't believe that people are really keeping them long enough and using them ruggedly enough to really test them. Also, I tend to trust the testimonials of expensive merchandise less because I figure there's that much more money in lying about how good the product is and suppressing criticism of it.
I do notice that a lot of products like tote bags and so on have some kind of interior coating that flakes off after a couple of years and it is annoying, because it happens long before the product wears out in other ways.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.