Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Old 03-27-20, 01:11 PM
Super D

Bikes: Canyon Road, Argon18 TT, DF Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by KrispyK
good luck, They run $95 wholesale. If you find one let me know.

I have the Silca digital pump. I love it, hands down, but if I couldn't get it I would just get the Hiro chuck. Its awesome.
Got the Hiro chuck, which is great. Needed for disc wheels, such a PIA without it.

Originally Posted by topflightpro
If you do get it, let me know how it works. I've been meaning to try one, but keep having other, more important, things come up. And the Shimano Chain Whip I have works pretty well.
Looks like they're out of stock on the Cobra. I don't need the bottle opener, I just use my teeth. (I keed...I keed...)
I've ordered rings from Blackline, good guys. Will see what their thoughts are between the two tools.

I dislike all of my chain whips, the levers all seem too short. But I could just be too weak and need to eat more dead animal. (Just not undercooked bats.)

I saw a friend at the track using a chain whip with a long pipe lever, might've been a home job. Worked brilliantly.
Old 03-27-20, 01:44 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by Super D
I don't need the bottle opener, I just use my teeth. (I keed...I keed...)
I did that once. Once.

And a little bar clamp does wonders for inflating discs: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Jorgensen-6...amp/1001053746
Old 03-27-20, 04:03 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
I saw a friend at the track using a chain whip with a long pipe lever, might've been a home job. Worked brilliantly.
just get a piece of 1"*1/8" flat stock. 2 feet long should do it. Drill 3 holes in the end just like on a regular chain whip. Attach appropriate bits of chain. Slip a nice thick rubber handlebar grips on the opposite side and you have your Hulk of a chain whip
Likes For taras0000:
Old 03-27-20, 05:08 PM
KrispyK

Bikes: Bianchi superpista and boardwalk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
I dislike all of my chain whips, the levers all seem too short. But I could just be too weak and need to eat more dead animal.

The abbey track whip is great, 18 inch lever and a very high quality. Might want to wait until it goes on sale though....
Old 03-27-20, 05:47 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
I've found the standard Shimano track chain whip works great. It's not that long but the nice handle allows you to put more pressure down than if it were just a flat bar. And it's compact so it fits in my track sack. It's a tool I'll never have to replace. I like that.
Old 03-27-20, 05:59 PM
Super D

Bikes: Canyon Road, Argon18 TT, DF Track

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I did that once. Once.

And a little bar clamp does wonders for inflating discs: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Jorgensen-6...amp/1001053746
Did you end up looking like a hockey player?

That's brilliant with the clamp. Seems so obvious and simple, which is evidently way over my head, because I wasn't smart enough to figure that out.

Originally Posted by taras0000
just get a piece of 1"*1/8" flat stock. 2 feet long should do it. Drill 3 holes in the end just like on a regular chain whip. Attach appropriate bits of chain. Slip a nice thick rubber handlebar grips on the opposite side and you have your Hulk of a chain whip
Like it. That sounds like it should have a nickname, like "Mad Max".
Old 03-27-20, 09:06 PM
Minion1

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
I replaced the narrow chain on a park tool SR 2.2 with a bit of 1*1/8th chain, works really well. Really long handle and the offset seems to help a lot, helps I picked it up cheap used.
Likes For Minion1:
Old 03-28-20, 06:02 AM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by Baby Puke
I've found the standard Shimano track chain whip works great. It's not that long but the nice handle allows you to put more pressure down than if it were just a flat bar. And it's compact so it fits in my track sack. It's a tool I'll never have to replace. I like that.
And the fact that it also has a lockring tool integrated in is nice. Yeah, it isn't as long as some others, but I haven't yet had any issues not being able to get a cog off.

Did you end up looking like a hockey player?

That's brilliant with the clamp. Seems so obvious and simple, which is evidently way over my head, because I wasn't smart enough to figure that out.
Fortunately no, but it didn't feel good. I was dumb and in college.

And I wish I could take credit for the clamp, but I learned it from a friend, who learned it from a friend... I did have to modify the clamp a bit to fit better, but that wasn't too difficult. It really does work well though.
Old 03-29-20, 05:54 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Minion1
I replaced the narrow chain on a park tool SR 2.2 with a bit of 1*1/8th chain, works really well. Really long handle and the offset seems to help a lot, helps I picked it up cheap used.
Easy mod that's very useful. I did it back in 2009 and used it until I gave (or sold) the tool recently. The same chain lasted that long.
Old 03-30-20, 05:46 AM
Minion1

Originally Posted by carleton
Easy mod that's very useful. I did it back in 2009 and used it until I gave (or sold) the tool recently. The same chain lasted that long.
My favourite thing about it is my knuckles are nowhere near the spokes! My hand is out close to the rim.
Old 04-01-20, 01:09 AM
pierrej

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Probably sponsorship.

The wheels are more alike than different. But, if a company is willing to give you cash and free wheels, that helps a team a lot.

That concept is at the heart of sports marketing:

- Athletes/teams need cash and will use whatever doesn’t make them slower if paid to do so...even if it’s not their preferred product.
- Fans see the athletes use the products and assume that the products made the athletes fast and maybe want to buy them.
Campy really isn't big enough for multi nation sponsorship, they are terrific wheels though and the countries with the means buy them. 'We' used them a fair bit as well as a few other's, even the old white ghibli discs were very highly spoken of.

Also Corima spoked > everything (not the secret tri spoke)
Old 04-08-20, 07:30 AM
bartek. 

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Any tips how to gain resistance on turbo rollers? I know the trick about using magnets but my rollers are Tacx Antares (means plastic not alu). Due to the global lockdown I'm stick only to the rollers and I would really want to do some watts on them.

Tips found randomly:
- magnets (don't work with plastic rollers)
- towel under rollers (too much heat for plastic rollers)
- second belt between front and read rollers (any ideas what material to use to making it slower?)
- super slow tyre with low pressure (should give some watts but not much)
btw. the super slow tyre is only necessary for the rear wheel, right?

Any better options? I would really appreciate!
Old 04-08-20, 12:00 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bartek.
Any tips how to gain resistance on turbo rollers? I know the trick about using magnets but my rollers are Tacx Antares (means plastic not alu). Due to the global lockdown I'm stick only to the rollers and I would really want to do some watts on them.

Tips found randomly:
- second belt between front and read rollers (any ideas what material to use to making it slower?)

My random thoughts:
1. Make your front wheel into a fan by wrapping duct tape between opposite spokes or add some other aero drag feature
2. Add a weighed drag flap attached to your fork crown and hanging against the front tire
3. If your bike has a two sided hub could you rig up a chain drive to another wheel or hub if you are mechanically minded (I recently threw out a cracked frame that would have been ideal for that purpose).

Last edited by 700wheel; 04-08-20 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-10-20, 01:35 AM
SynergyPro

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bartek.

Tips found randomly:

overtighten the bearings? Should work on the tacx. You probably need new bearings sooner though...
Old 04-10-20, 02:22 AM
Baby Puke

If you have some clincher training wheels use them at a lower pressure. It will be really not fun. Weirdly just what the road world thinks as the fastest set up is just terrible on rollers.
Old 04-10-20, 06:48 AM
Poppit

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
If you have some clincher training wheels use them at a lower pressure. It will be really not fun. Weirdly just what the road world thinks as the fastest set up is just terrible on rollers.
Agree with this, if you put a turbo trainer tyre on the rear wheel it’s even less fun!
Old 04-10-20, 09:57 AM
nlaughton

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Maybe you could get a Kreitler Killer Kool Headwind Fan to work with your Tacx rollers... there's a used one on ebay for $125...
Old 04-10-20, 10:02 PM
Minion1

Can confirm. Was fitting a new bar and stem set up and testing them on the rollers, had 60psi in the tires/tubes I had on the bike at the time, was very tough trying to even spin, couldn't even hold 95rpm. Totally not enjoyable.
Likes For Minion1:
Old 04-13-20, 04:51 PM
Pole Line Stand

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi All,

I was in the market for a 3t track bar. Although I read somewhere that production will soon cease with this design they still seem to be readily available. However, some of the sites selling them I noticed that the handlebars pictured do not have the logo on the top of the bar. Instead its just a plain dull coat finish. I don't care about the aesthetics of the handlebar, my interest is just the dimensions. My question is, do some 3T handlebars come with this design in addition to the ones that I've seen previously. My concern is that the ones advertised are not the real deal, or a copy.

Thanks for any feedback
Old 04-13-20, 06:37 PM
Minion1

The ones without the logos are a later production run. If the website is reliable then they will be the legit item, they'll still come with all the correct packaging etc.
Old 04-13-20, 06:56 PM
Pole Line Stand

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Minion1
The ones without the logos are a later production run. If the website is reliable then they will be the legit item, they'll still come with all the correct packaging etc.
Thank you much!
Old 04-14-20, 02:35 AM
Baby Puke

Ok, I'm bored. My city just went into shelter in place. How about people share the plague workouts you're doing inside? Confined to my "home gym" which only has about 85kg of weight available and no rack so I'm experimenting with high volume hack squats. They are murder on the quads!

Whattcha got?
Old 04-14-20, 07:50 AM
topflightpro

I do not have weights. When my gym closed, I looked online to buy some, and well, weights are a lot more expensive than I realized. (By my math, it would take me about two years of gym membership to build a basic set up.) So, I went to the hardware store and bought bags of concrete. 50 and 80 lbs. Cost me less than $10. Had to put them in garbage bags and wrap them in duct tape to keep the bags from tearing, but I am doing squats and deadlifts with those.

While it's not a lot of weight, compared to what I used to squat and deadlift, the shape, density and fact that its a bit loose, makes it rather challenging.
Old 04-14-20, 11:50 AM
TDinBristol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do not have weights. When my gym closed, I looked online to buy some, and well, weights are a lot more expensive than I realized. (By my math, it would take me about two years of gym membership to build a basic set up.) So, I went to the hardware store and bought bags of concrete. 50 and 80 lbs. Cost me less than $10. Had to put them in garbage bags and wrap them in duct tape to keep the bags from tearing, but I am doing squats and deadlifts with those.

While it's not a lot of weight, compared to what I used to squat and deadlift, the shape, density and fact that its a bit loose, makes it rather challenging.
I remember reading an interview with Eric Heiden, where he said the US National speed-skating team had truck inner tubes filled with sand, which they would hold around their waists and do high-rep squats. I can't find the interview, but the link below has a thread where Heiden describes it.

https://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_r...thread=1056178
Old 04-15-20, 05:03 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Plyo box step ups while wearing a weighted vest is a killer leg workout.

but, finding those may be a challenge being that all home workout gear is nearly sold out these days.

Also, search for “prison workouts”. I’ve had guys tell me that they came out of jail fitter than when they went in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.