Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Sun EZ Seat issue

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Sun EZ Seat issue

Old 01-19-22, 04:43 PM
FreezyRider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Sun EZ Seat issue

I couldn't move my seat up on my Sun EZ recumbent, it felt frozen. So I unlatched it from the bottom rail and loosened the latches, still no movement. I then unscrewed the latches and removed the seat. It seems that whatever kind of frictionless clear tape was put on the rail's top and sided was the issue. The top clear tape was fine and intact, but both of the side tapes dry-rotted and bunched up, causing the non-movement. Q: Do I need remove the gunked up tape with something like GooGone? If so what kind of tape should I replace it with, or do I even need to replace the side tape? And If I do need to replace the tape, where can I find it? Thanks.
Old 01-19-22, 09:41 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
I don't own your particular model recumbent so this is just a guess. First off, is this a recumbent that you bought used? If so, maybe the previous owner had trouble with the seat slipping so applied this tape to help prevent that from happening. None of my recumbent bikes used tape where you say it was. Obviously if you want to be able to adjust the seat position, the added tape makes the difficult or impossible. Try it without the tape and see if the seat stays put.

Scrape off the tape with a knife or razor blade. Try removing any residue with paint thinner and a soft cloth. It should work and will not harm paint if you spill a little. If that doesn't work next try acetone (nail polish remover) but be careful to keep it away from paint,
Old 01-20-22, 09:34 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 215 Posts
Sun sold the EZ series with the tape on the frame. I believe it was just to protect the frame from scratching. I have removed tape that has deteriorated and not replaced it and I have not had any issues with seat slippage.
Old 01-20-22, 10:55 AM
FreezyRider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks for all the help. I did what you recommended, and I now can reposition the seat easily with no slippage.
Thanks again!
Likes For FreezyRider:
Old 03-22-22, 09:40 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Is your Sun EZ a delta or tadpole version? I'm trying to figure out if the delta version will fit in my Prius, so being able to remove the seat is critical. Also, I can't figure out if they a have a boom that can be retracted or if the frame is stuck at 68", which might be too long for the Prius. I guess I need the length without the front wheel to see if it will fit if I rest the front fork on the console between the seats. And I'd need to see how low I could drop the handlebars or if they are removed fairly easily. Not something I'd do a lot to transport it, but if I got stuck somewhere it's not like my folding bike where I could just hop on a bus, lol. And there are no dealers anywhere near me to try and see :-(