Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rene Herse sued over tubeless tire blowoff on hookless rims

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Rene Herse sued over tubeless tire blowoff on hookless rims

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-22, 03:31 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Certainly it is not the rim. The tire changed enough under use/pressure to no longer conform to the standards needed to retain it.

The reality is every high performance tire will. The things we like in high performance tires are the same qualities that make them really bad for use in a hookless scenario.

No worry though - all the tire guys will start making hard rocks they will call tires that won't more under pressure. That'll be great.

The reality that proves it was the tire is that the tire in question "disappeared". If measured I am sure it wasn't in spec. Then again - so what. I have had brand new high quality tubeless tires blow off the rim on a brand new setup before. It's the tire.
There is no reason to assume the tire was built to any such “needed standards” for hookless rim compatibility. Compass didn’t say it was (as I recall from my familiarity with the brand), but it was designated as a clincher rim, i.e. crochet, rim tire. Hookless rims are distinct from clincher rims insofar as I can tell, and ergo, so too would the tires for each type, unless specified otherwise.

So yes, I agree the disappeared tire in question is probably out of spec for a fitment it was never designed for.
Old 04-08-22, 03:37 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
There is no reason to assume the tire was built to any such “needed standards” for hookless rim compatibility. Compass didn’t say it was (as I recall from my familiarity with the brand), but it was designated as a clincher rim, i.e. crochet, rim tire. Hookless rims are distinct from clincher rims insofar as I can tell, and ergo, so too would the tires for each type, unless specified otherwise.

So yes, I agree the disappeared tire in question is probably out of spec for a fitment it was never designed for.
Whether or not it was designed for that application is between them and the courts. I couldn't care less.

What I am saying is that the tire in question wasn't going to measure to even the spec they set out for their tires. That's why it's gone.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 04-08-22, 04:09 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Whether or not it was designed for that application is between them and the courts. I couldn't care less.

What I am saying is that the tire in question wasn't going to measure to even the spec they set out for their tires. That's why it's gone.
I don’t know why the tire is gone, but it seems to me that the condition of a inappropriately used tire would largely be irrelevant to the point that it was mounted on a rim type for which it wasn’t designed. And, of course, we don’t know the condition or build specs of the unknown rim, either. Hmm, perhaps that’s why the rim isn’t specified…
Old 04-08-22, 05:22 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
I completely agree with you. The state of the industry and compatibility is a mess. Damaging a tire on the road is a mess. Changing a tire in the shop can be a mess. I am an extremely experieced team and shop mechanic, I used road tubeless from about '10-'13. Had a cut tire on my 50th b-day ride and it was such a mess that I changed back to tubes as soon as I got home that day. It's still the only way to go for mtn though. As much as I hate it on the road I love it for mtb.
You left out the key info: did you get in 50 miles?
Old 04-08-22, 05:35 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
No, I wouldn’t try to mount that tire on anything because
1- it’s not hookless compatible
2- it’s known for being super difficult to mount

I bet if you got your hands on a TR you’d have a different experience
Which just goes to reinforce the need for ONE standard. Can you imagine having to ask "Hey, what tires will fit on my 2020 GMobile? I really like FIreYears, but I heard they aren't compatible with my rims, and a tire tech told me Micheloopers are almost impossible to mount."
Old 04-08-22, 05:47 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
definitionally a pull or a strain of a muscle is a tear. They heal with R.I.C.E. ( rest ice compression elevation). Torn hamstrings heal themselves. and yes, road rash( particularly if you don’t use tagaderm) results in permanent scarring and discoloration.

A good plaintiff’s lawyer is going to make an injury claim sound as bad as possible. If you can’t do any better than the description in the complaint, which essentially describes a pulled muscle and a boo boo, I doubt you have much.
Reading between the lines, It definitely sounds like an injury most of all of us have suffered, and many of us got a new wheel, a free lap, and got back in the race.

I realize that the plaintiff’s road rash would be a legally cognizable injury, I’m just saying I wouldn’t bother with a lawsuit, and it will be interesting if a jury ultimately gives him any substantial compensation.
So, Mr. Defense Lawyer, at what point do you consider an injury to be worthy of compensation? Should I have just said "Oh well, sh*t happens" after the motorist hit me and left me with 12 stitches in my arm, and some pretty severe road rash (resulting in scarring) on my leg? And those of us who raced bicycles knew we had a good chance of crashing, accepted that level of risk, and agreed not to hold anyone responsible for our damages and injuries. That's why they make you sign waivers. That's a bit different than someone on a recreational ride that crashes due to a sudden and unexpected failure in the bicycle.
Old 04-08-22, 05:56 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
You left out the key info: did you get in 50 miles?
I did! Don't know if you know Marin at all but I was living in San Rafael. We went out over White's hill and did the Nicasio loop. Got back to SR at 48mi, so we went out around San Quentin and back to make 50.
Old 04-08-22, 05:57 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by cxwrench
I did! Don't know if you know Marin at all but I was living in San Rafael. We went out over White's hill and did the Nicasio loop. Got back to SR at 48mi, so we went out around San Quentin and back to make 50.
I don't know the area, but it sounds like a great ride. The key is to hit the birthday miles.
Old 04-08-22, 06:01 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I realize that the plaintiff’s road rash would be a legally cognizable injury, I’m just saying I wouldn’t bother with a lawsuit, and it will be interesting if a jury ultimately gives him any substantial compensation.
A couple possibilities:

1) The injuries (and equipment damage) are more serious than suggested, and the plaintiff got a decent attorney to take the case.
2) The injuries are as trivial as you believe, in which case only a lousy attorney would be interested or the plaintiff is representing him/herself out of outrage and anger.

And either way, I'm sure you know that the odds of this ever reaching a jury are vanishingly small.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-08-22, 06:04 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
A couple possibilities:

1) The injuries (and equipment damage) are more serious than suggested, and the plaintiff got a decent attorney to take the case.
2) The injuries are as trivial as you believe, in which case only a lousy attorney would be interested or the plaintiff is representing him/herself out of outrage and anger.

And either way, I'm sure you know that the odds of this ever reaching a jury are vanishingly small.
The goal of some suits is to settle.
Old 04-08-22, 07:38 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
This is America. Are you new here?

Old 04-08-22, 07:50 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by njkayaker
The goal of some suits is to settle.
That's pretty much always the goal. Actually going to court is pretty rare.
Old 04-08-22, 08:06 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Yowzers, I’ve read every post here and there are definitely some good points made. Seems
like there is opportunity for more improvement in standard development (what industry doesn’t). I suppose I'm
incredibly lucky, in I guess 9 years or so of regular tubeless use with a myriad of tires and rims (no hookless that I’m aware of though), I simply purchase tires labeled “TL, TLE, or Tubliss (thanks specialized) and never a problem save perhaps some extraordinary curse words in the case of the gp5000 TL’s.

Thankfully no different from checking the size on my car tires. I know I need 700c, my preference is 25mm and it’s gotta say TL, TLE, or Tubliss (tm). Not so difficult IMHO. When I buy wheels I just make sure they’re 700c and Tubeless compatible. No muss no fuss
Old 04-08-22, 10:26 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Am I though? You have rim/wheel brands that specify which tires they accept on their wheels. I would say that alone is clear evidence that road tubeless is a mess. Tire brands and wheel brands are both constantly checking compatibility for safety. Users at home are constantly confused as to what will or wont work and what combo of tire with their rim will actually even mount without using a mounting tool that looks like the Jaws of Life.
Industry news op-eds write about the confusion. Industry insiders have discussed the frustration.

It sure doesnt seem like too broad a brush. Saying its a mess seems very much on point.
I've been enjoying road tubeless for years. I use tires from the approved list, and continue using ones I like. Mess doesn't describe my experience. I guess there's a wide range of experiences.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 04-08-22, 11:13 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Claiming hookless is "better" is simply a scam and a step backwards. 99,99% of all tyres are designed with a hook in mind. They may work on a hookless rim, if you keep the pressure down*, but there is really no benefit to the end user, except carbon rims can be manufactured cheaper.

*clear indicator the hookless design is inherently prone to blow offs.
Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 04-08-22, 11:19 PM
Racing Dan

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Am I though? You have rim/wheel brands that specify which tires they accept on their wheels. I would say that alone is clear evidence that road tubeless is a mess. Tire brands and wheel brands are both constantly checking compatibility for safety. Users at home are constantly confused as to what will or wont work and what combo of tire with their rim will actually even mount without using a mounting tool that looks like the Jaws of Life.
Industry news op-eds write about the confusion. Industry insiders have discussed the frustration.

It sure doesnt seem like too broad a brush. Saying its a mess seems very much on point.
This exactly.

Every hookless manufacturer I've ever looked over, have had some semi secret web page with a list of approved and non approved tyres. Usually very short. - And on the forums a bunch of guys feverishly trying to explain it away and extrapolate what tyres could safely be used even if not listed.
Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 04-09-22, 06:17 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
So, Mr. Defense Lawyer, at what point do you consider an injury to be worthy of compensation? Should I have just said "Oh well, sh*t happens" after the motorist hit me and left me with 12 stitches in my arm, and some pretty severe road rash (resulting in scarring) on my leg? And those of us who raced bicycles knew we had a good chance of crashing, accepted that level of risk, and agreed not to hold anyone responsible for our damages and injuries. That's why they make you sign waivers. That's a bit different than someone on a recreational ride that crashes due to a sudden and unexpected failure in the bicycle.
there’s a pretty significant personal cost to pursuing a personal injury lawsuit. It’s going to become a significant portion of your life for a couple of years. Not least of the costs is the nature of the process which causes you to focus on your injury and your suffering, rather than on healing and moving on with your life.

You also are going to have to turn over a lot of personal information, including most any medical record for anything in your life. You’re going to spend time meeting with lawyers, preparing for your deposition and being deposed.

Then you’re going to get to listen to me for a day asking you potentially embarrassing questions, including about things such as your sex life. Oh and also we’re likely to subpoena your cell phone records, and surveil you with a private detective.

Personally, I would have to be pretty f’d up before that would begin to be worth it, 12 stitches in your example would not be close to the threshold for me.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 04-09-22, 06:22 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Hooked rims with tubeless road tires are pretty mature and well working tech now.

Hookless, meh.
Old 04-09-22, 06:45 AM
Racing Dan

One aspect to hookless rims I really dislike, is, to the untrained eye, they look near identical to a normal rim and will let you mount any normal clincher or TL tyre, as they are the exact same size. If you are not a cycling nerd you are very much at risk of not knowing the difference between a hooked and hookless rim, mounting a non compatible tyre, that look identical, and creating an unsafe condition.
Old 04-09-22, 06:52 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
One aspect to hookless rims I really dislike, is, to the untrained eye, they look near identical to a normal rim and will let you mount any normal clincher or TL tyre, as they are the exact same size. If you are not a cycling nerd you are very much at risk of not knowing the difference between a hooked and hookless rim, mounting a non compatible tyre, that look identical, and creating an unsafe condition.
Though I'm somehow doubting that you'd get a non TL tire to hold any air that you'd even make it out the door?
Old 04-09-22, 07:08 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
There's a lot of implausibles in this scenario. Most non-nerds have trouble fixing a conventional flat, but you've got a non-nerd unknowningly purchasing a $1k+ hookless, tubeless wheelset, determining the size and width of tire but failing to notice any other compatibility notes, and then successfully mounting, seating and getting an incompatible tire to hold air long enough to put them on the road.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-09-22, 07:09 AM
Racing Dan

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Though I'm somehow doubting that you'd get a non TL tire to hold any air that you'd even make it out the door?
Why? You just stick a tube in there just like you always do .. If you dont know a "normal" rim should have a bead hook, you wont look for it or notice its not there, and then there is nothing to stop you from treating it just like any other rim. In that case you may decide to mount a clincher and tube, or a TL tyre, - Any TL tyre that may or may not be safe.

Last edited by Racing Dan; 04-09-22 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-09-22, 07:14 AM
Racing Dan

Originally Posted by WhyFi
There's a lot of implausibles in this scenario. Most non-nerds have trouble fixing a conventional flat, but you've got a non-nerd unknowningly purchasing a $1k+ hookless, tubeless wheelset, determining the size and width of tire but failing to notice any other compatibility notes, and then successfully mounting, seating and getting an incompatible tire to hold air long enough to put them on the road.
No there is not. It might even be what happen to the man suing RH, assuming the RH tyre wasnt approved for hookless rims as was mentioned in an earlier post.

To you or me It wont happen, for sure, but assuming ppl with a fat wallet are also bike neds is asking for trouble.
Old 04-09-22, 07:30 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I had a Compass tubeless blow off tubeless hooked rims while sitting in the garage at a pressure under the rated limit. Sounds worse than a shotgun going off. Compass were unresponsive to my e-mails on the topic. Some years ago, I forget all the details. It seems they may have redesigned some of the casing since then. Wonderfully comfortable tires, I just wouldn't run them tubeless. I use latex tubes and keep the pressure well below specification limit. Sounds like the Plaintiff didn't get too hurt, thankfully
Old 04-09-22, 08:14 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
No there is not.
I guess we'll have to disagree.

It might even be what happen to the man suing RH, assuming the RH tyre wasnt approved for hookless rims as was mentioned in an earlier post.
That's not the way that I read the OP.

To you or me It wont happen, for sure, but assuming ppl with a fat wallet are also bike neds is asking for trouble.
ppl with fat wallets that aren't bike neds pay bike neds to do their work for them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.