Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

3x drivetrain on road bike

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

3x drivetrain on road bike

Old 05-28-22, 04:33 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
Good luck with trying to shift a triple from the middle ring to the granny under load.
lol its easy to do this and thats part of the appeal.. its much easier to do this than a move in the cassette where you would have to move like 3 cogs to get the same effect. Also moving down gears is easier than moving up.
Old 05-28-22, 07:21 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Yes, humans have evolved.
These guys would like to have a word with you.

Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-28-22, 08:16 PM
N2deep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
I still appreciate triples. Due to a lack of a solid triple with a respectable granny and the hills of Pittsburgh I switched my compact to a sub compact. Yes, larger cassettes are available but who wants one the size of a dinner plate. Bring back Triples!
Likes For N2deep:
Old 05-28-22, 08:30 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 895 Times in 440 Posts
GAG on a road bike.

I just added a third chainring to my classic crankset, using a tripilizer, to get Geezer-Appropriate Gearing (GAG). A 42/22 was low enough when I was a teenager, but not 45 years later on, for me at least. The surprising thing was how little fiddling was involved. I didn't need a longer spindle, the 28T cog had just enough clearance, my stock Suntour Cyclone front derailleur had plenty of range, and the drop down from the 42 to the 28 is the most reliable shift on the bike.
Old 05-28-22, 08:45 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked 1,937 Times in 1,382 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
Good luck with trying to shift a triple from the middle ring to the granny under load.
Eh? That's easy. What's hard is going the other way. One has to spin the granny up and then ease off to upshift the front.

What's unique about a triple is the very close gearing one can have at the low end. In fact as one ages, one doesn't immediately get a bigger cassette, one gets a smaller granny. On long climbs it makes a huge difference to be able to keep one's cadence within one's preferred range.

All my bikes have triples.

But to address the OP, it's like this: We live in a caste society. The following is oversimplified, but you'll get the idea. The lowest caste is called "consumers." That would be us. We buy stuff and that's our only purpose. The next caste up is called "manufacturers" (makers). They built your bikes. Their only concern is profit. The top caste is "financiers." They provide money for manufacturers only if it will give the financier the greatest return on investment. The upper castes have decided that they make more money if they don't make triples. Done. The marketing ploy is that the 3rd ring weighs so much that racers would never use one so you shouldn't have one. Now you know.
Old 05-29-22, 12:02 AM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Main ride is a triple

I live near hills and regularly use all of my gear range each ride

i love having a triple
1x drivetrains are simple but I miss the tight steps of a triple

once dialed in, triples can be fantastic
Likes For Symox:
Old 05-29-22, 12:41 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,645 Times in 4,054 Posts
I love triples. Especially with a 13-26 in back. Tasty gears.

Old 05-29-22, 01:09 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Eh? That's easy. What's hard is going the other way. One has to spin the granny up and then ease off to upshift the front.

What's unique about a triple is the very close gearing one can have at the low end. In fact as one ages, one doesn't immediately get a bigger cassette, one gets a smaller granny. On long climbs it makes a huge difference to be able to keep one's cadence within one's preferred range.

But to address the OP, it's like this: We live in a caste society. The following is oversimplified, but you'll get the idea. The lowest caste is called "consumers." That would be us. We buy stuff and that's our only purpose. The next caste up is called "manufacturers" (makers). They built your bikes. Their only concern is profit. The top caste is "financiers." They provide money for manufacturers only if it will give the financier the greatest return on investment. The upper castes have decided that they make more money if they don't make triples. Done. The marketing ploy is that the 3rd ring weighs so much that racers would never use one so you shouldn't have one. Now you know.
wait the fall of tripples is a weight weenie thing? That makes sense I guess
Old 05-29-22, 04:26 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,981 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
wait the fall of tripples is a weight weenie thing? That makes sense I guess
Can you at least learn how to spell triple!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-29-22, 04:36 AM
PeteHski

The alternative view is that there simply isn't enough overall demand for triples anymore to make them commercially viable. Mountain bikers are not interested in triples anymore, so that's a big market for triples gone almost overnight. Most roadies prefer doubles anyway and now you have wide-range 12-speed cassettes, demand for a triple has become pretty niche. I can see the appeal for some tourers, but I guess there aren't enough of them to interest the manufacturers.
Old 05-29-22, 06:20 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by PeteHski
There is only 1 p in tripple? I thought spellcheck was trolling me
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 05-29-22, 06:22 AM
LarrySellerz

The alternative view is that there simply isn't enough overall demand for triples anymore to make them commercially viable. Mountain bikers are not interested in triples anymore, so that's a big market for triples gone almost overnight. Most roadies prefer doubles anyway and now you have wide-range 12-speed cassettes, demand for a triple has become pretty niche. I can see the appeal for some tourers, but I guess there aren't enough of them to interest the manufacturers.
do roadies like not go up steep hills? lower than a 1 to 1 ratio helps in lots of steep situations
Old 05-29-22, 06:34 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
The best thing about a triple is you avoid constantly shifting rings in mid speed applications, where with a wide double you are constantly changing rings, with associated compensation shifts and cross chaining into small/small or big/big.
Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 05-29-22, 07:04 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
It's not a weight weenie thing. Through the years when both a double and triple version was available within a groupset, I weighed both. If the 2x has 30t or more on the back to match the same range of the 3x, the triple is the lighter option. In fact, those 1x systems with the huge pie plate rear clusters aren't really saving any weight either. One of the reasons is you can usually get by without a LC RD on the 3x setup.

Last edited by seypat; 06-02-22 at 06:01 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 05-29-22, 07:08 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by Racing Dan
The best thing about a triple is you avoid constantly shifting rings in mid speed applications, where with a wide double you are constantly changing rings, with associated compensation shifts and cross chaining into small/small or big/big.
You can also ride loops of 3- 5 rear sprockets on 2 rings instead of having to go all around on your rear cluster.
Old 05-29-22, 08:54 AM
PeteHski

do roadies like not go up steep hills? lower than a 1 to 1 ratio helps in lots of steep situations
1:1 or lower ratios are not that unusual on modern 2x or 1x drivetrains. They are all a compromise in one way or another.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-29-22, 09:26 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
There is only 1 p in tripple? I thought spellcheck was trolling me
Trippple has 3 p's ... of course.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-29-22, 09:55 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
With the move to 11 and 12 speed cassettes, these allowed a great deal of range of gearing. You can get the same range with a 2x or 1x as you do with a triple. Thus it was decided that 3x was no longer needed. Of course you don't get the same gearing as there are sometimes huge gaps between the cogs of those 11 and 12 spd. systems.
this ^

especially with the availability of 11t cog (and smaller) and when paired with a crank with downsized chainrings (compact / 'micro-drive')

years ago a number guys I knew riding the road with triples switched to wide-range cog sets w / 11t small cog and cranks (doubles) with smaller chainrings

they had low gearing for climbing and still had a good top gear

Last edited by t2p; 05-29-22 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-29-22, 11:26 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,486 Times in 7,316 Posts
I thought spellcheck was trolling me
What’s good for the goose….
Old 05-29-22, 11:31 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked 1,937 Times in 1,382 Posts
Way back in time, say the early 2000s, in the largest bike club in the country, there were two competing hard group rides. We competed for riders by offering the hardest, most fun routes we could think of. These weren't racer boys, just club riders, the fastest of the 10,000 of us. Every rider I knew in these sub-groups had a triple even though most manufacturers offered double and triple models, so you either had a 53-39 and were a racer boy or girl who did crits or you had a 52-42-30 (Shimano) and were a club rider.

And that's why I've never bought a new bike since 2000 - by the time I would have bought one, triples were gone and it drove me nuts riding with people with compacts, who were forever shifting and dropping back on my wheel. Didn't want that. Yesterday, I did my first pass ride of the season, 4700' of gain. My low gear in 2000 was a 30/25 and is now a 26/30 which I used quite a bit on this climb. I had gear-inches of 22.8, 26.3, and 29.7 in the granny, next gear up was middle ring at 34.2. On the way down, I held the wheel of a companion tandem in my 53/11 at 30-40 mph, always able to pedal back on if I fell back a bit. That's why I continue to ride a triple. My bike weighs 18.5 lbs., but having the right gear easily makes up for a little extra weight. I lost 1.5 lbs. on the ride anyway. Need to do that more often.

What replaced the triple? The compact. Why were no compacts made before? Because no one would want one. Why have an inferior drivetrain like that which neither climbs nor descends as well? The bike industry took a step back with the only goal being standardization and increased profits.

I get it that strong riders on BF can console themselves with the imaginary virtues of compacts. Just you wait.

The MTB triple was a separate animal, no connection to the road triple other than the number 3. 1X is viable for the MTB because there generally are no smooth gradients like we see on roads built for vehicles.

There was a huge market for triples - almost everyone who had a relatively new bike had one and would have bought another. I'm talking about back when serious club riders bought a new bike, they bought custom steel or TI with a triple. I was the first rider I knew to buy carbon, hence my screen name. The majority of road riders in my area were simply dropped cold by the industry. That said, there are benighted parts of this country which don't have a lot of good hills to ride. We feel sorry for them. They can ride doubles, but should have 53-39, not silly compacts.
Old 05-29-22, 11:37 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 895 Times in 440 Posts
With Big Gravel telling us what to demand, this is what happens. The decision was evidently made. Those of us who want a wide range AND close spacing are SOL.
Old 05-29-22, 11:55 AM
PeteHski

Way back in time, say the early 2000s, in the largest bike club in the country, there were two competing hard group rides. We competed for riders by offering the hardest, most fun routes we could think of. These weren't racer boys, just club riders, the fastest of the 10,000 of us. Every rider I knew in these sub-groups had a triple even though most manufacturers offered double and triple models, so you either had a 53-39 and were a racer boy or girl who did crits or you had a 52-42-30 (Shimano) and were a club rider.

And that's why I've never bought a new bike since 2000 - by the time I would have bought one, triples were gone and it drove me nuts riding with people with compacts, who were forever shifting and dropping back on my wheel. Didn't want that. Yesterday, I did my first pass ride of the season, 4700' of gain. My low gear in 2000 was a 30/25 and is now a 26/30 which I used quite a bit on this climb. I had gear-inches of 22.8, 26.3, and 29.7 in the granny, next gear up was middle ring at 34.2. On the way down, I held the wheel of a companion tandem in my 53/11 at 30-40 mph, always able to pedal back on if I fell back a bit. That's why I continue to ride a triple. My bike weighs 18.5 lbs., but having the right gear easily makes up for a little extra weight. I lost 1.5 lbs. on the ride anyway. Need to do that more often.

What replaced the triple? The compact. Why were no compacts made before? Because no one would want one. Why have an inferior drivetrain like that which neither climbs nor descends as well? The bike industry took a step back with the only goal being standardization and increased profits.

I get it that strong riders on BF can console themselves with the imaginary virtues of compacts. Just you wait.

The MTB triple was a separate animal, no connection to the road triple other than the number 3. 1X is viable for the MTB because there generally are no smooth gradients like we see on roads built for vehicles.

There was a huge market for triples - almost everyone who had a relatively new bike had one and would have bought another. I'm talking about back when serious club riders bought a new bike, they bought custom steel or TI with a triple. I was the first rider I knew to buy carbon, hence my screen name. The majority of road riders in my area were simply dropped cold by the industry. That said, there are benighted parts of this country which don't have a lot of good hills to ride. We feel sorry for them. They can ride doubles, but should have 53-39, not silly compacts.
I've been riding since the early 80s and never had a road bike with a triple chainset. I guess they just weren't popular over here or I totally missed them! Touring bikes had them, so I guess that was the market here.
My current road bikes both have compact doubles, 11 and 12-speed. I have zero interest in a triple now, but I could see the point when I only had a 5-speed cassette back in the day!
Old 05-29-22, 01:59 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Shrug. With initially 10 and now 11 speeds in the back, I've never felt the need for an extra chainring on my road bikes. Looking at the Di2 stats of my last two fast group rides using compact chainrings with a 11-32t cassette, both 17 mph avg over hilly roads with no climbs taking longer than 10 minutes: 50 front shifts needed over 90 miles with 4900 ft elevation gain and 42 mph max speed, 48 front shifts needed over 67 miles with 5000 ft elev gain and 43 mph max speed. No cross-chaining for me; I like to keep a straight chainline and Di2 won't go into small-small anyway.

For road cycling in hilly places, not touring, I put forth that 2x subcompact chainrings or 1x with giant cogs make more sense for slower/less experienced riders than more chainrings. The former because I rarely see people in the slower groups pushing it downhill, the latter because I see a lot of people simply not understanding when they need to shift the front at all.
Old 05-29-22, 03:09 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by surak
Shrug. With initially 10 and now 11 speeds in the back, I've never felt the need for an extra chainring on my road bikes. Looking at the Di2 stats of my last two fast group rides using compact chainrings with a 11-32t cassette, both 17 mph avg over hilly roads with no climbs taking longer than 10 minutes: 50 front shifts needed over 90 miles with 4900 ft elevation gain and 42 mph max speed, 48 front shifts needed over 67 miles with 5000 ft elev gain and 43 mph max speed. No cross-chaining for me; I like to keep a straight chainline and Di2 won't go into small-small anyway.

For road cycling in hilly places, not touring, I put forth that 2x subcompact chainrings or 1x with giant cogs make more sense for slower/less experienced riders than more chainrings. The former because I rarely see people in the slower groups pushing it downhill, the latter because I see a lot of people simply not understanding when they need to shift the front at all.
How many rear shifts of 3-8 cogs? A lot of those can be eliminated with 2 shifts of the front or 1 front and a couple of rear with a 3x. Bear in mind we're talking about terrain with great variation. Not talking about rollers where you nibble along parts of the cassette. It depends on what's important to each rider.
Old 05-29-22, 03:15 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
Even an 8 speed 13 - 34 cassette w/42T chainring provides a 33 - 87 gear inch range. That would cover a lot of territory for most folks. My 2018 bike came with a tripple chainring, But I didn't buy the bike for that, If it came with the gearset in my example, I would have been just as happy. I found I can work with the standard gears on most bikes, Its just a matter of taking advantage of the benifets of each gearset.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.