Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Father and Son

Old 06-07-22, 11:28 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10901 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Actually, no, my disagreement with him was in suggesting that the child's head would be slammed into the ground like a watermelon if such a fall occurred. There's pretty much no good data to support the notion that the bike seat/helmet combination isn't adequate protection from the consequences of such a fall. And, as you suggest, there may be other factors like the fact that the bike/trailer combination is a bigger target for car impact and perhaps harder to steer that may set off whatever marginal increase in hazard that height might entail.

Obviously, a child on the bike is higher than a child in a trailer, and therefore has further to fall. My contention is that we're really comparing two very safe ways to transport children, and I don't think there's any good reason for someone to get cringy when they see a parent using either method properly.

BTW, if you notice, neither the Consumer Reports or the AAP is suggesting bike seats are unreasonably dangerous, and both are offering standards for preferred features on the bike seats.

What was said was
If they are over the back tire, then their head might just be a watermelon being slammed to the ground.
IF they are over the back their then their head MIGHT be slammed like a watermelon. He didnt say 'would', he said 'might'. You then went to town and demanded proof based on his saying something might happen.

This is really just a goofy argument since the higher someone is from the ground, the further they have to fall which clearly means the more likely they are to be injured. And the less protected someone is from the ground, the more likely they will be injured when falling.
Again, I only responded to the fall comment and not other safety concerns between the two forms of transport since the fall comment was what you took issue with.

And yes, I have not seen a report that states either mode of transport is viewed as dangerous.
...I have seen a report that states one is safer than the other when the bike falls though.
Old 06-07-22, 11:34 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10901 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
The WeeHoo looks like fun. Does it stay upright when you are fully stopped?
I still have my burley after almost 30 years. I still remember pulling my two kids in it giving me a real good leg workout going up hills. Nowadays, I use it just to wheel around big bulky items ( like relocating a skunk I caught in a live trap).
Yes it stays upright when stopped. I converted our Burley into a flatbed cart- we used it to pull camping gear for weekend bike camping trips for a couple years.

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I had to google the WeeHoo, I don't think it was an option when my kids were small. Interesting. Based on your experience, is that something OP would likely enjoy using with a 5 yo in London?
I think my kids read kiddie books when they were in the trailer.
The WeeHoo is heavy, but its also sturdy and reliable. I didnt suggest it for the OP because having never been to London all I ever hear about weather is that its wet and I dont know how accurate that is. WeeHoo sells a canopy, but that may not be enough. And with a kid in a recumbent positon, they may get spray from the adult bike, even with fenders and a mud guard on the WeeHoo. Really not sure as we didnt use the WeeHoo in the rain.

The short time we used a Burley trailer, we used to pack it full of books- like a dozen of them so she could just grab one at any given time. It was always funny to clean that thing out after a family ride- a dozen books, a couple sippy cups, a few small bowls of dry cereal or whatever, and who knows what else.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-07-22, 12:54 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
What was said was

IF they are over the back their then their head MIGHT be slammed like a watermelon. He didnt say 'would', he said 'might'. You then went to town and demanded proof based on his saying something might happen.

This is really just a goofy argument since the higher someone is from the ground, the further they have to fall which clearly means the more likely they are to be injured. And the less protected someone is from the ground, the more likely they will be injured when falling.
Again, I only responded to the fall comment and not other safety concerns between the two forms of transport since the fall comment was what you took issue with.

And yes, I have not seen a report that states either mode of transport is viewed as dangerous.
...I have seen a report that states one is safer than the other when the bike falls though.

Why you seem to need to do this inaccurate but nitpicky nonsense about my posts approximately every month or so, I don't know. Why you always put words in my mouth I didn't say I don't know. You ALWAYS get what I say wrong, and this is no exception. I literally criticized his post for getting all cringy about his uninformed speculation of what "might" happen and he stated in that post that he based it on nothing other than his imagination. How is quoting him saying "might" a refutation of that? You're just being goofy. The first thing I said to him was "Sorry, but I don't think uninformed speculation on what might happen is really useful here."

I acknowledged the recommendation of one over the other and addressed it, all before you stepped in to correct me or whatever it is you think you're doing. Show me where I "demanded" anything of him.

TL/DR: Nice scenario you got there--too bad none of it happened the way you said it did.

Last edited by livedarklions; 06-07-22 at 12:57 PM.
Old 06-08-22, 10:56 AM
Josh K

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OP here... Many thanks to all. Extremely useful! I think we are okay to at least 'test the waters' with my current set-up (no one seems to think the bike will just crumple and fall apart under the weight - which was my main worry)... And now I have wealth of new info on both cargo bikes and WeeHoo's, etc. Both will be very likely candidates in the next year or so...

Just on the point of safety, I found that useful also. He clearly has further to fell from a seat, but will be wearing a helmet and I will be going slowly... At least for now, I'd like him close to me, in easy talking and touching distance, rather than out behind me. Data-aside, I *feel* he is more vulnerable out there and so low down.

I have also read that exposure to emissions is FAR worse at lower levels, i.e. exhaust height (for obvious reasons), so having him quite a bit higher is also much safer/healthier in that regard.

Thanks again, Josh
Likes For Josh K:
Old 06-10-22, 02:17 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh K
OP here... Many thanks to all. Extremely useful! I think we are okay to at least 'test the waters' with my current set-up (no one seems to think the bike will just crumple and fall apart under the weight - which was my main worry)... And now I have wealth of new info on both cargo bikes and WeeHoo's, etc. Both will be very likely candidates in the next year or so...

Just on the point of safety, I found that useful also. He clearly has further to fell from a seat, but will be wearing a helmet and I will be going slowly... At least for now, I'd like him close to me, in easy talking and touching distance, rather than out behind me. Data-aside, I *feel* he is more vulnerable out there and so low down.

I have also read that exposure to emissions is FAR worse at lower levels, i.e. exhaust height (for obvious reasons), so having him quite a bit higher is also much safer/healthier in that regard.

Thanks again, Josh

Pssst...here's the big secret--no one really knows how all of the safety factors weigh out, and that looks like some pretty good reasoning you've done.
Old 06-11-22, 03:55 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
Hello all,

A quick but important question... I am 118kg and my son in 22kg, so together we are around 140-145kg (or 320 pounds max). I have a decent but pretty standard Marin mountain bike, with hybrid wheels/tires.

So my Q is, will my bike (and wheels) safely support my son and I, as we ride around London? Not planning to go off-road!

Thank you!

Josh
My wife only got hit by a car 3 times in London.

Flimsy wheels would be the least of my worries.
Old 06-11-22, 04:42 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
He's 5 and I have a Yepp seat (with seat belt) and a very sturdy rack.
wheels/spokes are mostly likely the primary failure point, along with kickstand for loading and unloading.

i use a yepp next maxi for my 4 year old, but our total weight is lower. 20kg bike 87kg for me and she’s around 18-20kg i think. so maybe 125-130kg total with backpacks, locks, school stuff etc. zero issues with a couple years of urban riding. london is very flat, so you have a big advantage there

i would not in a million years ride around the city with a kid in a trailer. zero confidence that a car would see such a low seat behind me - i’d know she was back there, would a car merging across the bike lane or pulling out of a parking spot give me that extra 3 feet of space?
Old 06-11-22, 04:58 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
Bike will be fine as long as you don't do any shenanigans like ride off curbs.
Old 06-14-22, 03:29 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Like another poster said the wheel won't fail dramatically unless you hit something.
​​​​​​You will know when you ride it how it feels.
And if the wheels can't handle the weight neither will the brakes.
The effect on the handling maybe a worse negative.
Take a slow ride see how it goes.
Old 06-14-22, 04:18 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I don't like seeing little children on the bike with their parents. Even if they are in a special child seat.
I remember the first time I saw a dad riding with his kid on a seat behind him. It kind of freaked me out, I was delivering food at the time and crashed fairly often when carrying something or other. Now that ive gotten older and traveled to vietnam where people carry 200+ lbs of stuff on terrible bicycles (not even exaggerating) and reading about the resilience of kids, my worry of seeing kids riding with parents seems silly.
Old 06-14-22, 06:27 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
Seuss-mobile. Include an advanced planning hitch.
Old 06-14-22, 11:00 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
PeriScope Scout - Co-Motion Cycles

Sorry, don't seem to be able to import the image on the linked page.
But it is a tandem with 26" wheels, upright bars and a huge range of seattube lengths for stokers
Complete bike starting at $3495.00 USD.

Last edited by Wildwood; 06-14-22 at 11:03 PM.
Old 07-12-22, 01:56 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Try something like this.

“Mum of the year” cycles uphill with bike trailer..."

https://road.cc/content/news/mum-yea...s-viral-294295