Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

School me on Shimano hardware

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

School me on Shimano hardware

Old 06-23-22, 05:39 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,272 Times in 7,224 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
12 months in a year buddy.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-23-22, 05:44 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22507 Post(s)
Liked 8,829 Times in 4,110 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen

So based on just a cursory review of this link, the difference between Sora, Tiagra and Claris is the number of speeds? Is that correct?
That is one difference, but there are way too many differences between groups and generations of said groups to break it down to number of gears/speeds.

it's complicated, but in general the higher "up" the line, the quality and cost go up.
Old 06-23-22, 05:48 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
"School me,," is a euphemism for "I'm too lazy to spend 15 minutes researching it myself..so you guys do the work and spoon feed me".
Old 06-23-22, 05:57 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
I'm pretty sure Shimano makes hardware for catching schools of fish.
Likes For seypat:
Old 06-23-22, 06:38 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by seypat
I'm pretty sure Shimano makes hardware for catching schools of fish.
Before I rode bikes other than as "toys," for lack of a better term, I had a Shimano reel and possibly arod. In fact, I remember being surprised to eventually learn that Shimano also made bicycle components. I thought it was strange that a fishing gear company had branched out into the bicycle business.

Can you school me on which business came first?

In any event, thanks for the memory jog.
Old 06-23-22, 06:44 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Before I rode bikes other than as "toys," for lack of a better term, I had a Shimano reel and possibly arod. In fact, I remember being surprised to eventually learn that Shimano also made bicycle components. I thought it was strange that a fishing gear company had branched out into the bicycle business.

Can you school me on which business came first?

In any event, thanks for the memory jog.
School's in session. They also make rowing equipment in case you want to row your boat and fish for those schools.

https://best-spinningreels.com/shimano-reels-history/
Old 06-23-22, 06:50 AM
seypat

Mods, realize that I put up the fishing info so the thread wouldn't flounder.

Last edited by seypat; 06-23-22 at 06:57 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 06-23-22, 07:32 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2428 Post(s)
Liked 2,879 Times in 1,645 Posts
Tried and failed to resist posting the following joke-destroying pedantic correction (too many years as an editor correcting common misuses will do that):

"founder," not "flounder."
Old 06-23-22, 07:36 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Tried and failed to resist posting the following joke-destroying pedantic correction (too many years as an editor correcting common misuses will do that):

If you're going to be pedantic, you need to be correct; flounder is an intransitive verb in this form. seypat 's usage is just fine.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-23-22, 08:12 AM
indyfabz

flounder
verb
floundered; floundering\ ˈflau̇n-​d(ə-​)riŋ \Definition of flounder (Entry 2 of 2)

intransitive verb
1: to struggle to move or obtain footing : thrash about wildlyThe poor horse was floundering in the mud.
2: to proceed or act clumsily or ineffectuallythe normally surefooted governor floundered a moment like a prize pupil caught unpreparedTime

Last edited by indyfabz; 06-23-22 at 08:16 AM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-23-22, 08:15 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Koyote
If you're going to be pedantic, you need to be correct; flounder is an intransitive verb in this form. seypat 's usage is just fine.
Second day in a row. Yesterday it was fledging vs. fledgling.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-23-22, 08:18 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
I'll remember this thread the next time I see one with posts from regulars congratulating each other on how endlessly warm, welcoming, and helpful they are to newcomers. I've been on this forum for quite a while, but I still haven't figured out which innocent questions will get the snarling responses from the gatekeepers, or why.
The objections come when it's clear that someone hasn't done any research at all. School yourself first, then ask questions. The topic of Shimano component hierarchy and differences are VERY well documented.

The information that people are giving the OP and the links being shared were all available in the first page of a Google search. Lazy? Lonely?
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 06-23-22, 08:22 AM
Koyote

Second day in a row. Yesterday it was fledging vs. fledgling.
ikr?

We need a Grammar and Usage subforum.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-23-22, 08:28 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
"School me,," is a euphemism for "I'm too lazy to spend 15 minutes researching it myself..so you guys do the work and spoon feed me".
Unfortunately that is too common these days. I run into the same thing on fishing forums and fishing facebook groups I belong to. Nobody wants to the research anymore. They want to be spoonfed.

One simple google search that took less than 30 seconds yielded this. Not sure why the OP couldn't have done the same.

https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buy...-need-to-know/
Likes For prj71:
Old 06-23-22, 08:31 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by prj71
Unfortunately that is too common these days. I run into the same thing on fishing forums and fishing facebook groups I belong to. Nobody wants to the research anymore. They want to be spoonfed.

One simple google search that took less than 30 seconds yielded this. Not sure why the OP couldn't have done the same.

I got tired of responding to students' questions with, "Have you looked for that information in the syllabus?" So now I'm retired, and have more time to ride. Win-win.
Old 06-23-22, 09:03 AM
indyfabz

Can you school us (no pun intended) on Shimano fishing hardware?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-23-22, 09:04 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22507 Post(s)
Liked 8,829 Times in 4,110 Posts
Can you school us (no pun intended) on Shimano fishing hardware?
Sounds like a good parody thread. Do it!

I double-dog dare you to!
Old 06-23-22, 09:05 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
flounder
verb
floundered; floundering\ ˈflau̇n-​d(ə-​)riŋ \Definition of flounder (Entry 2 of 2)

intransitive verb
1: to struggle to move or obtain footing : thrash about wildlyThe poor horse was floundering in the mud.
2: to proceed or act clumsily or ineffectuallythe normally surefooted governor floundered a moment like a prize pupil caught unpreparedTime

I was going to search for a picture of Flounder myself but you beat me to it. So I will celebrate by throwing all my empty beer cans at the screen.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 06-23-22, 09:05 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2428 Post(s)
Liked 2,879 Times in 1,645 Posts
Like the misuse of "jive" where "jibe" is clearly meant, such decisions are always contextual. The issue is whether some readers will be distracted by a particular choice of a word or phrase.

You're a careful writer, which means that you're a careful reader, so while you may not object to "flounder" in this context, there are any number of parallel examples that, at the very least, likely give you pause - particularly in cases where an older word is being supplanted gradually in common speech by another, similarly spelled word. I wonder where you stand on "jibe" versus "jive," for example. Or could you care less? (Joke.)
Old 06-23-22, 09:13 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
I was going to search for a picture of Flounder myself but you beat me to it. So I will celebrate by throwing all my empty beer cars at the screen.
I actually spend a night in Cottage Grover, OR, during a supported bike tour in 2007. Cottage Grove is where the homecoming parade scenes were filmed. Went into town and walked down the very street where the parade was held. "May I have 10,000 marbles, please?" I took a photo of an old restaurant sign. The next time I watched the film at home I noticed that the sign appears on camera for a brief second.

BTW...Stephen Furst, the actor who played Kent Dorfman, died from diabetes-related complication 5 years and one week ago today.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-23-22, 09:19 AM
Koyote

Like the misuse of "jive" where "jibe" is clearly meant, such decisions are always contextual. The issue is whether some readers will be distracted by a particular choice of a word or phrase.

You're a careful writer, which means that you're a careful reader, so while you may not object to "flounder" in this context, there are any number of parallel examples that, at the very least, likely give you pause - particularly in cases where an older word is being supplanted gradually in common speech by another, similarly spelled word. I wonder where you stand on "jibe" versus "jive," for example. Or could you care less? (Joke.)
I jibe with your jive, daddy-O.

As an editor, your job (I presume) was to help make writing accessible to an intended audience -- which might often involve word (and other) choices which would make less sense to people like me. But in seypat 's context, 'flounder' was a better choice than 'founder,' based on the actual dictionary definitions of the two words.
Old 06-23-22, 09:36 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
...so while you may not object to "flounder" in this context...
The context was a damn word play fish joke.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-23-22, 09:44 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by WhyFi
The context was a damn word play fish joke.
Precisely. And even without the fish joke, 'flounder' is the better word for the poster's message.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-23-22, 10:30 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked 1,411 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
The objections come when it's clear that someone hasn't done any research at all. School yourself first, then ask questions.
Or perhaps, precocious masters of the universe who expect others whom they see only as subject area experts to present them with well organized "executive summaries" outlining an easy-to-follow decision tree before they deign to apply their precious genius to the subject at hand?

But not sure that the above corporate approach applies to a hobby!

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 06-23-22 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-23-22, 11:51 AM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 531 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
That is one difference, but there are way too many differences between groups and generations of said groups to break it down to number of gears/speeds.

it's complicated, but in general the higher "up" the line, the quality and cost go up.
Thanks. That's the kind of thing I'm trying to figure out. Despite what some of the snobbish posters here are saying, I did go to the Shimano site first. And reading it, there is very little difference described between Sora, Claris and Tiagra. As pointed out, the biggest difference, or at least most notable, seems to be the number of speeds.

But I guess the real problem, at least for me, is that I rarely buy new. So that is a whole different issue when comparing Sora of 2010 to today's products (Oh! There's another one of those issues my betters didn't even consider!!! )

Then you wouldn't have anything to complain about, now would you? Part of the reason I make posts is because this is aninteractive forum. The sharing of knowledge and ideas. You think I'm the only one now or in the future that's going to have these questions?
Not just that, but I'm asking for personal experiences. Not just marketing schtick. Something a couple of posters here hasn't picked up on. (ya, ya, I know. Preposition. Get over it.)
I got tired of responding to students' questions with, "Have you looked for that information in the syllabus?" So now I'm retired, and have more time to ride. Win-win.
Oh, God! You were a teacher??? That explains a lot.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.