Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

World's Lightest Bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

World's Lightest Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-10, 06:31 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
what?
Old 09-29-10, 08:00 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
Sure you can, unless you are doing UCI or national championship races. The minimum weight simply does not apply to most amateur racing in the US.
No, you can race it, I have arthritis in my knees.

I'll go 50/50 with you, I just get to use it Wednesday nights.
Old 09-29-10, 08:37 AM
jwible
Draught

Bikes: N-1 where N = number needed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eclectus
It sounds fun. My son said he saw a Bugatti Veyron the other day. The world's fastest production car. "Bugatti" the original company doesn't exist. The name was auctioned off long ago. The Veyron is actually a Volkswagen. But at 267 mph, it's waay faster than a Beetle, Jetta, or even a Volkswagen (Lamborghini) Diablo.

The fact that fairwheels has come up with a one-off world's lightest bike is cool. But pro racers can't use it, because UCI won't allow it. Amateurs that can use it, who aren't that fast, because if they get really fast, they'll want to do UCI events, and realize, "Oh s**t I'm going to be weighted down majorly. If UCI dissolved weight restrictions, then the fairwheels bike would be nice, but Specialized, Cervelo and others would jump into the race, and probably win. Cervelo is owned by aerospace engineers. They could bury fairwheels.

But in a totally open-competition, bents would win in flat tts. A $45,000 fairwheels is probably a bike-collector/bike-museum piece.
Has anybody even measured their durability?
Fairwheel is a shop. They assembled the bike from various components, some of which were prototypes. They didn't engineer anything that I know of.
Old 09-29-10, 08:59 AM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
No, you can race it, I have arthritis in my knees.
Well if you can't race it it has nothing to do with the weight.
Old 09-29-10, 09:28 AM
Yaniel
SLO-1

Bikes: '09 BMC Road Racer SL01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eclectus
It sounds fun. My son said he saw a Bugatti Veyron the other day. The world's fastest production car. "Bugatti" the original company doesn't exist. The name was auctioned off long ago. The Veyron is actually a Volkswagen. But at 267 mph, it's waay faster than a Beetle, Jetta, or even a Volkswagen (Lamborghini) Diablo.

The fact that fairwheels has come up with a one-off world's lightest bike is cool. But pro racers can't use it, because UCI won't allow it. Amateurs that can use it, who aren't that fast, because if they get really fast, they'll want to do UCI events, and realize, "Oh s**t I'm going to be weighted down majorly. If UCI dissolved weight restrictions, then the fairwheels bike would be nice, but Specialized, Cervelo and others would jump into the race, and probably win. Cervelo is owned by aerospace engineers. They could bury fairwheels.

But in a totally open-competition, bents would win in flat tts. A $45,000 fairwheels is probably a bike-collector/bike-museum piece.
Has anybody even measured their durability?

whats your point? people buy veyrons and never take it past the speed limit, people buy 15,000 dollar bicycles to ride to the coffee shop. Someone will want a 45,000 bicycle just because it's interesting, different, or to show off. It's not all about racing or performance.
Old 07-02-22, 03:21 PM
nubikebuzz
no, the new new bike

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Tarmac Comp 2001 Allez (steel)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not by a long shot!
Crumpton Cycles, out of Texas, was showing off a 7.2lbs complete bike at NAHBS back in 2007 San Jose. Carbon rims, carbon saddle!, carbon chainrings with (I think) titanium teeth. Nick described it as a "climber", i.e. not something you expected to spend a lot of time on the saddle.
Old 07-02-22, 06:41 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
Originally Posted by nubikebuzz
Not by a long shot!
Crumpton Cycles, out of Texas, was showing off a 7.2lbs complete bike at NAHBS back in 2007 San Jose. Carbon rims, carbon saddle!, carbon chainrings with (I think) titanium teeth. Nick described it as a "climber", i.e. not something you expected to spend a lot of time on the saddle.
Amazing progress over 12 years now lets resurrect this thread 12 years from now!
Old 07-02-22, 07:50 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by nubikebuzz
Not by a long shot!
Congratulations on resurrecting this hugely popular thread nearly 12 years after the last post.