Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's the stupidest thing a motorist has told you?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What's the stupidest thing a motorist has told you?

Old 07-01-22, 11:52 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
Teenage boys screaming at the top of their lungs out the passenger windows. Scared the you know what out of me.

Old 07-02-22, 06:11 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa

I mean, how do they know where I'm going?

A shocking number of people think that you're supposed to ride against traffic.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-02-22, 01:39 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
I've had several individuals tell me that I should get off of the road while it was copulating.
Old 07-02-22, 09:14 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
while it was copulating.
Copulating? Most curious statement. Perhaps you have other things on your mind other than bikes.

Old 07-05-22, 02:57 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by rsbob
Copulating? Most curious statement. Perhaps you have other things on your mind other than bikes.

Do we really need to explain the copulating joke to you?
Old 07-08-22, 07:41 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 869 Posts
"get a job" >>> to which i replied, "i don't need one"
Old 07-10-22, 12:18 PM
trackhub

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
As a former police officer, I have heard motorists say a lot of stupid things. I could write a book.
Originally Posted by urbanknight
If you do, I'd be likely to buy a copy.
I second that.
Old 07-10-22, 12:20 PM
trackhub

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Yes. And if you try to tell them otherwise, and even point it out in state law, they want to argue about it. Weird how
that works.
Likes For trackhub:
Old 07-29-22, 05:09 AM
digger

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Quoted: 1295 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
So, what kind of wise crack was that? I drive cars, and still do, long before you were ever a glimmer in your mommy's eyes; that kind of remark you made must mean you haven't weened away from your mommy.
It is a response to the title of this thread

“What’s the stupidest thing a motorist has told you?”

THAT was the stupidest thing.

But it would be a great response as well!

Last edited by digger; 07-29-22 at 05:46 AM.
Likes For digger:
Old 07-29-22, 09:16 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26250 Post(s)
Liked 10,232 Times in 7,101 Posts
This one comes from Nextdoor, day before yesterday. :)

That's the problem. This state gives these people the legal right to ride their bikes on the roadways with vehicles. That's the problem right there. Those people shouldn't be on the roadway. You only have to possess a few brain cells as to why that is. But this is wonderful California where all things are ok no matter how outrageous, stupidor dangerous. This state reminds me of all the morons that walk up to bison in Yellowstone to take their pictures with 'em and end up getting gored and/or tossed up into the air. Complete insanity. (Had to combine "stupid" and "or" to get by these gestapo censors, don't ya know...)
Old 07-29-22, 11:17 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by 3alarmer

That person managed to turn on a computer. Amazing.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-29-22, 02:37 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26250 Post(s)
Liked 10,232 Times in 7,101 Posts
That person managed to turn on a computer. Amazing.
...I think he might have just been trolling. His username on there is "jack s". Not making this up.
Old 07-31-22, 07:36 PM
GBK233

Bikes: 2020 Giant Advanced 2, 2020 Giant Contend AR1

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Roll123
"ride on the sidewalk"
got that one from a woman the other day. I screamed back “that’s illegal….you a**hole”. Lol
Likes For GBK233:
Old 08-03-22, 08:07 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
I don't know if this counts as weird, but; I had a car pull up beside me at a red light... last month, was trying to get me to go with them.

"Hurry up, let's go! Put your bike in the trunk and get in! We gotta go, get in!"

I guess they thought I thought life was a movie, or meme, what I was actually thinking was; are they going to do something stupid enough, that I need to shoot them, and I need to be in that left lane in about fifty yards, so I hope they speed off out of my way.
Old 08-03-22, 08:11 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I think he might have just been trolling. His username on there is "jack s". Not making this up.
I'm on Nextdoor, you'd be surprised how serious some people are. Also; I curse on there all the time, I just hit "post anyway".
Old 08-03-22, 08:17 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Encountered one of those very people during my June tour in Vermont. I was descending towards the town of Island Pond. Almost no traffic. No way am I impeding any car's progress. A car pulls along side me and a young-ish girl in the passenger seat yells You're on the wrong side of the road, D.B., idiot, or something like that. Then the car sped off.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-03-22, 08:20 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by digger
It is a response to the title of this thread

“What’s the stupidest thing a motorist has told you?”

THAT was the stupidest thing.

But it would be a great response as well!
I think he owes you an apology.
Old 08-03-22, 09:04 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Encountered one of those very people during my June tour in Vermont. I was descending towards the town of Island Pond. Almost no traffic. No way am I impeding any car's progress. A car pulls along side me and a young-ish girl in the passenger seat yells You're on the wrong side of the road, D.B., idiot, or something like that. Then the car sped off.

I had a guy going the other direction on East Rd. in Amherst MA roll down his window and yell "bike path" at me Sunday. I was about a mile from the nearest path. I literally had no impact on his driving as I was clear on the other side of the road. I mention this only because I was surprised someone could be that stupid about bikes being on streets in a town that's like 50% college campus.
Old 08-03-22, 09:15 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

A week ago, my wife and I were heading into Snohomish around the airport when a small beater car filled with teenage boys goes by, after probably being delayed 10 seconds since it is a busy two lane road with zero shoulder, and they yelled “(Expletive) you and die”. Wanting to show them how impactul their condemnation was, I gave them a good hard, loud laugh. My wife later said something like, Teenage boys, high on testosterone or worse.

Last edited by rsbob; 08-03-22 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-04-22, 01:06 PM
digger

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Quoted: 1295 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I think he owes you an apology.
He was either responding to what I typed or making a suggestion of what I could have said to the motorist.

I’ll assume the latter, besides it ain’t the worst ever said to me and I’m a forgiver.
Old 08-04-22, 09:02 PM
M Rose

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 80 Posts
Background:
I consider myself a newbie in cycling, even though I have been riding between 10 and 30
miles daily for the past year. My wife has only ridden a hand full of times around the block in this amount of time and relies on my knowledge of riding along the streets of our home town.

The Story:
Last night I asked my wife to join me on a ride a crossed town to get a burger and some ice cream at one of our favorite dinners. It’s a relatively short ride and almost a straight line from our house to the dinner taking one of the lesser used streets.
Along the route, the street has Three major intersections. The first one is at our drive way, the second is about half way down and is the busiest of the three, and the last one is at the far end of the street.
Any ways, we are cruising down the street just coming upon the second intersection when a car honks at me. The car passes aggressively staying in our lane and his right hand mirror taps my left shoulder. I was riding just a foot or two to the right of center because of parked cars and my wife staggered ahead of me and riding dangerously close to the parked cars.
I stood up on the pedals and caught up to the car in a matter of feet and was well infront of the car when he reached the stop sign at the intersection where he started yelling obscenities at me. I got all of the normal “Riding the wrong way” (I was riding in the direction of traffic), “Get out of the way of cars” (there was no where to go to get out of his way at that exact second), “ride on the side walk” (illegal to ride on the side walks in our town), and my favorite “ you can’t keep up with traffic”. The last is my favorite because on this street the speed limit is 15 mph, and while he was doing apx 20-25 MPH I passed him before he started slowing down.
When I started explaining the laws of the road to the driver he got even more upset and stepped out of his car threatening to beat my ass. This didn’t work out well for him because a police officer made the corner at the intersection and got involved.
Eye witness accounts put blame on the driver where he got belligerent with the police officer and was issued a number of citations… unfortunately I have to go to court in a few weeks to press charges.
Likes For M Rose:
Old 08-05-22, 10:00 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by M Rose
Background:
I consider myself a newbie in cycling, even though I have been riding between 10 and 30
miles daily for the past year. My wife has only ridden a hand full of times around the block in this amount of time and relies on my knowledge of riding along the streets of our home town.

The Story:
Last night I asked my wife to join me on a ride a crossed town to get a burger and some ice cream at one of our favorite dinners. It’s a relatively short ride and almost a straight line from our house to the dinner taking one of the lesser used streets.
Along the route, the street has Three major intersections. The first one is at our drive way, the second is about half way down and is the busiest of the three, and the last one is at the far end of the street.
Any ways, we are cruising down the street just coming upon the second intersection when a car honks at me. The car passes aggressively staying in our lane and his right hand mirror taps my left shoulder. I was riding just a foot or two to the right of center because of parked cars and my wife staggered ahead of me and riding dangerously close to the parked cars.
I stood up on the pedals and caught up to the car in a matter of feet and was well infront of the car when he reached the stop sign at the intersection where he started yelling obscenities at me. I got all of the normal “Riding the wrong way” (I was riding in the direction of traffic), “Get out of the way of cars” (there was no where to go to get out of his way at that exact second), “ride on the side walk” (illegal to ride on the side walks in our town), and my favorite “ you can’t keep up with traffic”. The last is my favorite because on this street the speed limit is 15 mph, and while he was doing apx 20-25 MPH I passed him before he started slowing down.
When I started explaining the laws of the road to the driver he got even more upset and stepped out of his car threatening to beat my ass. This didn’t work out well for him because a police officer made the corner at the intersection and got involved.
Eye witness accounts put blame on the driver where he got belligerent with the police officer and was issued a number of citations… unfortunately I have to go to court in a few weeks to press charges.
Is one of the charges hitting you with the mirror?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-05-22, 11:49 AM
M Rose

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 80 Posts
Is one of the charges hitting you with the mirror?
yes… among many others
Likes For M Rose:
Old 08-05-22, 12:02 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 128 Posts
To this day the stupidest thing said to me was right after that texting cop plowed into me with his SUV. When I called him out for texting he interrupted with, "I wasn't texting! I was looking at my phone!"
Likes For JW Fas:
Old 08-05-22, 12:08 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by JW Fas
To this day the stupidest thing said to me was right after that texting cop plowed into me with his SUV. When I called him out for texting he interrupted with, "I wasn't texting! I was looking at my phone!"

As I remember it from the video, he looks like he realizes how stupid that was just as soon as he finished saying it.

I don't think I could watch that video again because I swear I feel that hit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.