Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Masters Racing (All Disciplines)
Reload this Page >

Is my bike too old for racing??

Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Old 05-10-20, 08:53 PM
FM Jump

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'd like to start racing since I am very fit, but would I look ridiculous riding a Black Carbon Trek 5200 racing bike 2004, 9 speed? (Armstrong's model)

Its 17 pounds, pristine with Dura Ace Carbon wheels, but its not really Aero and its ....well old.

What say you? Its the only bike I have.

FM
Old 05-10-20, 09:25 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 4730 Post(s)
Liked 3,831 Times in 2,491 Posts
Have you raced before? And are you talking about mass start racing, not time trialing? If you have never been in a race, it is a whole new game. Faster, harder, and closer/tighter than anything you've done on a bike before. Until you have both gotten past the newness of it and learned to settle down AND have acquired enough race points to move up to the higher categories, you will be in races of strong, inexperienced and often wild riders. Dangerous. Crashes happening. And high speed crashes usually take down half a dozen riders. Carbon fiber bikes don't take kindly to those crashes.

So - do your learning on this bike. As you get better, you might want to invest in faster wheels. But let this be the bike for your first season. And if it survives, you have a good second bike after you pick up the next one.

I raced a million years ago. And watched a bunch of nice bikes get trashed in meaningless races with poor riding. The bike you've got is plenty good enough to get in there and get your skills up. Doing well in races is about having the engine, knowing how to use that engine and riding the race to be in the right place at the right time. Basic job of the bike - support that engine (fit is critical and has nothing to do with bike vintage) and allow you to put yourself where you need to be. Now, if you get out on a winning move, the new aero might make the difference between win or no. But a bike you don't have to baby or shield from possible damage might well do better to assist you in being there.
Old 05-10-20, 09:32 PM
FM Jump

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Have you raced before? And are you talking about mass start racing, not time trialing? If you have never been in a race, it is a whole new game. Faster, harder, and closer/tighter than anything you've done on a bike before. Until you have both gotten past the newness of it and learned to settle down AND have acquired enough race points to move up to the higher categories, you will be in races of strong, inexperienced and often wild riders. Dangerous. Crashes happening. And high speed crashes usually take down half a dozen riders. Carbon fiber bikes don't take kindly to those crashes.

So - do your learning on this bike. As you get better, you might want to invest in faster wheels. But let this be the bike for your first season. And if it survives, you have a good second bike after you pick up the next one.

I raced a million years ago. And watched a bunch of nice bikes get trashed in meaningless races with poor riding. The bike you've got is plenty good enough to get in there and get your skills up. Doing well in races is about having the engine, knowing how to use that engine and riding the race to be in the right place at the right time. Basic job of the bike - support that engine (fit is critical and has nothing to do with bike vintage) and allow you to put yourself where you need to be. Now, if you get out on a winning move, the new aero might make the difference between win or no. But a bike you don't have to baby or shield from possible damage might well do better to assist you in being there.
Thats the best answer Ive ever heard
Likes For FM Jump:
Old 05-10-20, 09:39 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1071 Post(s)
Liked 988 Times in 704 Posts
Although older its no slouch and who cares what other people think about the age of your bike. If your 3 seconds out from first, clean and grease the hubs, BB and rear der pulleys; if that still only gets you 2 sec out from first then the bike is too old and holding you back anything more then that and the bike doesn't matter as much as the motor. Racing is a lot of fun and doesn't require the newest and greatest bike out there. I showed up for a cross race on an old C-dale mtb with drop bars, 8sp sti levers and a leather brooks saddle and people stopped to check out the bike and liked it, also did an ok showing for first cross race in 10 years, the bike held me back some the rider held me back more. Your "old" trek will be just as well received, and may even make some people nostalgic.
79pmooney also makes a good point, sometimes getting started on an older bike just means the learning curve costs less and you have an excuse to level up the bike sooner. I did 3 crits this year, all Cat5, besides the riders being faster then I remember when I got into racing in my 20s, there was at least 1 crash involving no less then 3 riders at the finish line, good way to ruin good equipment. I'd been lapped so I didn't feel the need to compete for the finish line and I'm glad I didn't. Had a road race same thing 3 years ago, I was a bit of a ways behind the main pack and there was a second grouping coming behind me with the finish line in sight, rather then fight for 20th place I decided to let the group of 15 pass me, only 6 of them beat me to the finish line, the others didn't make it for a while. Learning to pace yourself, work with the pack, figure out when it is or isn't worth it to fight for place is all worth doing on an old bike that you can risk rather then the next 4-5,000.00 wonder which is what the proportionally equivalent bike will cost you today.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 05-10-20, 11:16 PM
FM Jump

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thought I'd include a pic.

Trek 5200
Old 08-03-20, 08:03 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,119 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by FM Jump
Thought I'd include a pic.

Trek 5200

Threads getting old

but --- that is a seriously nice bike regardless of age --- it wont hold you back one bit unless its the wrong size
Old 08-09-20, 10:29 PM
FM Jump

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
Threads getting old

but --- that is a seriously nice bike regardless of age --- it wont hold you back one bit unless its the wrong size
HA! Thank you. I hope that you are enjoying your bike as well.
Old 11-05-20, 12:32 AM
Mattdiano

Bikes: '83 Pinarello Super Record,'83 De Rosa Professional, '84 Guerciotti GLX7600, '91 Merckx Corsa Extra, 2004 Pinarello Dogma AK61 Magnesium, '13 Colnago World Cup, '14 Cinelli Experience, '16 DeRosa Planet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Well said!
Old 11-05-20, 12:36 AM
Mattdiano

Bikes: '83 Pinarello Super Record,'83 De Rosa Professional, '84 Guerciotti GLX7600, '91 Merckx Corsa Extra, 2004 Pinarello Dogma AK61 Magnesium, '13 Colnago World Cup, '14 Cinelli Experience, '16 DeRosa Planet

I just don't think any of us racing at this level will ever out-ride our equipment. There is a great quote from motorcycle racing: You never run out of equipment. You either run out of skill or judgement. IF I were to get back into racing, I would roll out on my 1990 Eddie Merckx and be proud to take the line with it. then again, after reading about the mayhem in the newer stages of racing....maybe not.
Likes For Mattdiano:
Old 11-05-20, 12:37 AM
Mattdiano

That really does put things into the perfect perspective.
Likes For Mattdiano:
Old 04-01-21, 12:33 PM
TRACKMAN
hide not your essence

Bikes: Airborne,DeRosa,Guerciotti,Jamis,Merckx,Paris Sport,Raleigh,Vitus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
I find myself in that same rowboat but different discipline, track.
Believing that my 1991 Eddy Merckx can still carry me across the line...First.
Have not raced in eight years but ride everyday and hit the gym three days a week
i consider myself in excellent shape.
EVERYBODYS on carbon (except men's keirin in Japan) .
.......\<,
....( )/ ( )...
Old 04-01-21, 01:17 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
That bike is not going to hold you back. Not in the least. I had a '00 5200 and rode it from Cat 5 to Cat 3. (And I'm still a Cat 3!)
Likes For caloso:
Old 04-01-21, 02:12 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4769 Post(s)
Liked 7,737 Times in 3,658 Posts
I recently bought a newer carbon bike to replace my old carbon bike. My Strava PRs have not come tumbling down since the change.
Old 04-29-21, 05:46 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1425 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 351 Posts
Find Botto’s post on here regarding starting racing. rinse, repeat.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 05-17-21, 10:05 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3629 Post(s)
Liked 5,296 Times in 2,690 Posts
Well, it's been a year. Wonder how it worked out for OP.
Old 05-18-21, 12:11 PM
FM Jump

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Well, it's been a year. Wonder how it worked out for OP.
Well. Thanks everyone for your continued interest. There are 4 amateur road races that take place this year that I am considering. I no longer feel that my bike is a limiting factor at all. The thing that concerns me now is simply my old body and my lovely bike with expensive wheels that I do NOT want to crash! I will probably be happy just doing fast training rides with the club A riders if I can.
Old 05-18-21, 12:22 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Do I see downtube shifters??
Old 05-20-21, 12:57 AM
FM Jump

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Do I see downtube shifters??
yep. Dura ace 7900 10 speed indexed DT Shifters. I replaced my ultegra STI with these and I really like them. The frame has the drop outs so I thought I’d give it a try. They are sooo much lighter and lots of fun because it feels
like driving a stick shift. Not the most practical and not for racing but for regular riding it’s great. I have no intention of changing them on this bike. I find that I shift less often and think ahead more. It’s is mechanically sound and direct but requires some getting used to. You get very quick and skilled at taking a hand off of the bars momentarily but because of that certain cautions apply. Ie, rough terrain, strong wind.
Likes For FM Jump:
Old 05-20-21, 09:13 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by FM Jump
yep. Dura ace 7900 10 speed indexed DT Shifters. I replaced my ultegra STI with these and I really like them. The frame has the drop outs so I thought I’d give it a try. They are sooo much lighter and lots of fun because it feels
like driving a stick shift. Not the most practical and not for racing but for regular riding it’s great. I have no intention of changing them on this bike. I find that I shift less often and think ahead more. It’s is mechanically sound and direct but requires some getting used to. You get very quick and skilled at taking a hand off of the bars momentarily but because of that certain cautions apply. Ie, rough terrain, strong wind.
I understand about DT shifters. I was under the impression that this is a bike you were racing, which is not a situation where I want any delays in my shifting, or have to take my hands off the bars in tight conditions. If you're happy with it, ride on!