Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Pinarello Project

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Pinarello Project

Old 06-23-22, 08:24 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 225 Posts
Pinarello Project

Pinarello Project

The Bike Exchange just received this frame, a 53 centimeter Pinarello (serial no. MM23 on bottom bracket) which appears to be an 80’s Montello, and I am anxious to start restoring it to running condition. As seen in the pictures it came to us covered in black, obscuring most of the original paint. Judicious scraping with a razor knife uncovered the original “Spumoni” paint scheme. One detail which is supposedly significant is that the bottle cage mounts are flush with the frame.

My intention is to repaint it with 2 part catalyzed rattle can paint in red and use Campagnolo record and new record for the derailleurs with Modolo brakes and hopefully, Cinelli bars and stem but a lot will depend on what we have available in the shop.

As with all my restorations this bike will be sold to finance (bikex.org) our nonprofit’s mission of re building donated bikes and then gifting them to those in need.

If you have any comments on the color, choice and source for paint, the appropriate groupo for this bike, or anything else related to Pinarellos, please sound off. I have painted quite a few bikes with Rustoleum rattle cans and love their colors. For this bike though, I want to take things to the next level.

Another "Spumoni paint job. apparently there were many different combinations of colors

Likes For capnjonny:
Old 06-23-22, 08:41 AM
Anglykos

Bikes: Italian mostly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The chrome looks to be in good condition, and should clean up nicely. If you paint the frame Sunrise Red it would be close to the original Pinarello color palette for the year.
Old 06-23-22, 09:51 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,853 Times in 1,436 Posts
Nice work on the paint scraping. If I had gotten that far (which I wouldn't have), I'd be really tempted to spend the time to clean up all the last bits and keep the paint as is. Yeah, it's rough, but it has a kind of beauty to it.

On the other hand, it would also look great with fresh paint. I happen to have just painted a bike Sunrise Red, BTW. In direct sunlight, I think it's a bit rosier than the classic Pinarello red, and in low light it seems a bit darker. It's not far off though.

Old 06-23-22, 10:31 AM
Anglykos

Bikes: Italian mostly

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are right. It does look rosy. In hindsight, It could actually clean up quite nicely to be left original.
Old 06-23-22, 10:41 AM
kermie

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Cross 2.0 LE, 1993 Santana Vision, 1993 Specialized Allez Pro, 1993 Trek 930, 1985 Panasonic DX3000

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
Nice work so far!! I'm sure that will look great when done.
Old 07-02-22, 12:48 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 225 Posts
O/k , so I decided to strip off all the paint. The frame is completely chromed and the chroming is so nice I could just leave it unpainted. The head tubes lugs and the top of the seat tube are especially nice so one idea would be to leave them chrome and paint the rest of the frame (minus forks and stays). I saw one bike on the net that was done that way . Not sure if that isn't a bit much . Maybe it would detract from the originality. Another thought I had was to use candy over the chrome . That would be stunning but pushes it into the hot rod category. I am thinking a solid color would be easiest for me to paint and would look beautiful.

Having said that, should I try to stay close to the stock colors or do something different? Maybe burgundy instead of Sunrise red. I have used both colors lately and though burgundy isn't stock it would be killer.
One potential problem that I want to solve is the idea that paint doesn't stick well to chrome. I will say that what ever primer they used on this bike is tenacious. It has taken 2 applications of paint stripper and aggressive scraping to remove it.
I am thinking that a 2part primer would be best for this. Any thoughts? Talk to me !
Old 07-02-22, 04:27 PM
ryanl092

Bikes: 87 Centurion IronMan, 89 Pinarello Treviso, 77 Schwinn Paramount, 85 Miyata 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 32 Posts
Choose Nuovo red. It looks great in close distance.

Old 07-03-22, 06:33 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2385 Post(s)
Liked 2,930 Times in 1,861 Posts
Whatever it is worth, I think it is no longer original no matter what you do so go with your gut and leave some of that chrome! Would be a good one to leave all of the lugs chrome.

I always thought the reverse would be cool. Paint the lugs and leave the tubes chrome.

Originally Posted by capnjonny
O/k , so I decided to strip off all the paint. The frame is completely chromed and the chroming is so nice I could just leave it unpainted. The head tubes lugs and the top of the seat tube are especially nice so one idea would be to leave them chrome and paint the rest of the frame (minus forks and stays). I saw one bike on the net that was done that way . Not sure if that isn't a bit much . Maybe it would detract from the originality. Another thought I had was to use candy over the chrome . That would be stunning but pushes it into the hot rod category. I am thinking a solid color would be easiest for me to paint and would look beautiful.

Having said that, should I try to stay close to the stock colors or do something different? Maybe burgundy instead of Sunrise red. I have used both colors lately and though burgundy isn't stock it would be killer.
One potential problem that I want to solve is the idea that paint doesn't stick well to chrome. I will say that what ever primer they used on this bike is tenacious. It has taken 2 applications of paint stripper and aggressive scraping to remove it.
I am thinking that a 2part primer would be best for this. Any thoughts? Talk to me !
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super