Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

just curious - has anyone have an aerobar setup for commuting?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-22, 04:38 PM
e0richt

Bikes: Dawes Lightning sport, Trek 1220, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts

just curious, I don't think many have but I suspect there is someone that has a setup like this for commuting...
I would love to see pics of it.

thx!
Rich
Old 10-06-22, 05:31 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I used Profile Design Airstrykes for a while pre-pandemic. Took them off since the spring-up pads were exhibiting the known loose pin issue that requires an updated kit to address. Couldn't be bothered to buy the kit so would just go into invisible aerobars instead. After riding indoors almost exclusively during the first year of the pandemic, I got a bit more cautious and stopped doing IAB. In any case, I'm in a fair number of group rides, so aerobars are a bit passe.

Aerobars were a tad faster on downhills and long straights but I wasn't actually saving much time over my 31 mile round-trip commute because the bars didn't put me in a much lower or narrower position. Hitting green lights at intersections would make a lot bigger difference -- just this year I had stopped times of 10 seconds and over 13 minutes on the same route.
Old 10-07-22, 03:18 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Really depends on your commute. For my commute I think I hit a stop light 1/2 mile.

My low end hybrid bike was just as fast as my aero bike when commuting to work. If you don't have 10+ miles with no stop lights/stop signs etc.. I doubt it will make a difference.
Old 10-09-22, 08:13 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
I did for many years...but it was just to gain more hand positions. In my 40s I developed "crampy" hands* My main commuter at the time was a 1997 Nishiki Blazer with straight-ish bars. Being stretched out forward felt good, and added some speed. But visibility in traffic was not good, and I had no brake levers "out there". Plus every once in a while I'd experience an oscilating wobble at high speeds. One unexpected benefit were the elbow rests, which were far back and allowed me to sit very upright and use them as hand holds. This was especially good for steep uphills, since even though the bike had very high custom gearing, I kept the extremely low low range as well.

Eventually I converted the bike to drop bars which work best for my hands for most riding...but I still dream about flying down this one long flat section of my old commute stretched out on the bars.
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...converted.html

*I now suspect it was due in part to too high a statin prescription. I have been drinking Yerba Mate for the last 6 years and its anti-inflammatory properties and a much lower statin dose have help out tremendously. I still have issues, but not like before.