Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Wet weather bike shoe solutions for Wide feet?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-22, 11:17 PM
AJW2W11E

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 50 Posts

Went out yesterday in the cold rain here in Seattle for two hours and came back with numb feet. My sneakers and socks were soaked and I had to get them into warm water quickly. I tried shoe covers last year but couldn't get them on my wide feet. It's only November, and I'm concerned.Does anyone know about waterproof shoe covers or some other solution for wide feet Could someone get frostbite from riding like this?
Old 11-04-22, 03:55 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
You could wear neoprene socks. They won't keep your shoes dry, but they keep your feet warm.
Old 11-04-22, 06:43 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Ther are also Gortex socks. I’ve not used the. But others swear by them. Cheap option are plastic bags used for bread over your socks. I’ve used these before.
Old 11-04-22, 06:55 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Thicker wool socks with "clean room" booties slipped inside waterproof hiking shoes work pretty well.

Or, just move.
Old 11-04-22, 06:58 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
I find that shoe covers work well. The ones that are like wet suit material add a bit more warmth in really cold weather. Any I have tried fit over my very wide feet with cycling shoes. Are you looking for something that covers non cycling specific shoes?

How cold is the weather you need them for? I found when I was still iving up north I got by down below freezing even in wet weather with regular bike shoes with mesh for drainage and socks that didn't hold much moisture. For MTBing and trail running where there is less wind chill the problem is reduced and I could go quite a bit colder, but shoe covers are a good idea as a safety factor..

You mention sneakers, so maybe shoe covers aren't going to fit unless you wear either bike shoes or other less bulky shoes. If that is a non starter for you. maybe try the bread bags or neoprene socks.
Old 11-04-22, 07:20 AM
GhostRider62

Merino Seal Skinz socks are decent for up to a couple hours if temps are at least 40F......forgot to mention that. Bread bags too. Plastic bags from the grocery store work but only in states that haven't outlawed them
Old 11-04-22, 08:51 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Waterproof hiking boots. Then you can wear whatever socks you want.

Bread bags have the opposite effect. They hold in moisture/sweat from your feet making things worse. Not a good idea at all.

Last edited by prj71; 11-04-22 at 09:14 AM.
Likes For prj71:
Old 11-04-22, 09:00 AM
GhostRider62

Managing moisture in adverse conditions is not so simple. Vapor barriers have their use. They work and are cheap. Sealskinz are so-so but for shortish rides up to a couple of hours, your feet will be sort of warm and wet compared to cold and wet. A real barrier and your feet would be warm and eventually wet (perspiration)
Old 11-04-22, 09:56 AM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by AJW2W11E
Went out yesterday in the cold rain here in Seattle for two hours and came back with numb feet. My sneakers and socks were soaked and I had to get them into warm water quickly. I tried shoe covers last year but couldn't get them on my wide feet. It's only November, and I'm concerned.Does anyone know about waterproof shoe covers or some other solution for wide feet Could someone get frostbite from riding like this?
Along with all the other advice offered here can we assume that you have good fenders and a mud flap in the front? Keeping all that road water from pouring into your shoes is a significant factor if you want to ride in the rain, particularly a cold rain.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 11-13-22, 05:52 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
haven't worn these in a downpour yet, but they're good for cold wet conditions. it is not a big heavy winter boot. it is lightweight

Columbia Men's Firecamp Boot Hiking Shoe

Old 11-15-22, 04:45 AM
cjenrick

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
It don't matter what kind of shoes you wear. The problem is this. If your socks are exposed to moisture, that moisture, with the help of gravity and wicking action, will eventually end up at your toes.

Once your feet get wet your cooked. Because as soon as your feet get wet, they will get cold fast. As soon as they get cold, the body's natural reaction is to shut down blood circulation to keep you from freezing to death. Your blood will get cold if it circulates through cold tissue.

You can wear baggies or seal skins or whatever but if there is a quarter inch of your sock
exposed to moisture, the socks will still get soaked. This is even true if the socks are tucked completely under your tights. Because as soon as your tights get wet, your socks get wet These small details are very important for people who venture out in freezing weather. Extreme caution has to be taken to keep dry for people like Eskimos who are around water and other people who hike in the snow near running water or even puddles. Because once wet, you will need a heated house to get unwet. If no heated house or ability to light a fire, your dead.

What do I do on 50 mile nite rides in the freezing rains of Olympia Wa while out alone? (Who wants to ride in that crap)

I wear light socks. Thick and warm merino socks will cut of your circulation in the toe box. You want to have plenty of space to wiggle your toes around to keep the blood circulating because it is going to want to shut off from the cold. Next, wear a breathable running shoe. Waterproof shoes keep water in just as good as they keep water out. And your feet sweat slot. There are more sweat glands in your feet than any other part of your body.

So light socks, light breathable running shoes, and then I use a DIY gortex shoe cover that goes up to the mid calf area, thus, completely sealing off the shoes and socks. This gortex cover gets tucked underneath the tights.

I have tried everything else, and this is the only system that will keep your feet completely dry on a 3 hour ride in freezing rain.
For extra warmth on those extra harsh days,(32 degrees and sideways rain, I slip a goose down shoe cover on and then on goes the seamless gortex thingy that resembles a small pillow case with leather on the bottom to protect the fabric from the pedals.

I have horrible blood circulation in the extremities and thus a bomber system was required if I were to venture out in dismal conditions.

A showers pass rain jacket and pants are used when it is really coming down. REI fleece gloves along with gortex covers are used under these same conditions. Mitts are a hassle for turning on lights or changing wheels. That's right. I said wheel. Because I don't change tubes and hunt microscopic blackberry thorns in the tire in the middle of the night in freezing rain. I have a rear rack which holds a single speed wheel for which there is a thread on this forum which contains laughter from people who never ride 50 miles alone at night on rural bike paths in freezing downpours. By the time you change a tube and pump up your wheel, your natural 200 watt heater that has been shut down will leave you in a state of semi hypothermia as you try to mount your bike and ride off with your cramped up muscles.

Is my **** together or is my **** together?

Oh yeah don't forget to use a Big Blue AL1300NP diving light because there is nothing else that comes close.

Last edited by cjenrick; 11-15-22 at 05:01 AM.
Likes For cjenrick:
Old 11-15-22, 05:23 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by cjenrick
Extreme caution has to be taken to keep dry for people like Eskimos who are around water and other people who hike in the snow near running water or even puddles. Because once wet, you will need a heated house to get unwet. If no heated house or ability to light a fire, your dead.
yup was hiking w/ a girlfriend many years ago & she slipped & got wet in the snow. I made a trailside fire & dried her off before we continued back to my car

on another occasion, during a cold blizzard, my ski goggle fogged then the fog froze. wiping did nothing, just moved the frozen fog around. didn't want to scratch the lens so made a tiny fire & it all cleared rather quickly, just needed a little warm air. I've since removed the foam vent inserts so I get more airflow

no worries, of course I know how to extinguish a fire