Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

First Day of school back zoo

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

First Day of school back zoo

Old 08-21-22, 01:02 PM
Vetnherder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
To me it seems the problem of bike vs car is much deeper rooted in the U.S. The entire infrastructure is almost solely centered around car use and travel distances that are mainly achievable by car. (Even within towns, with most grocery shopping on the outskirts, instead of centralized around residential areas.) I feel both urban planning and an aging status quo are holding you back. This requires a mindset change, and it requires a ridiculous amount of momentum. (Maybe start small, experiment with tiny towns, see that it works, and move from there...) I'm kind of glad that somewhere in the 60's/70's around here (The Netherlands) the focus shifted from cars to 50/50 on cars and bikes. There are shortcomings here as well, but about 90% of the commute I ride, I am separated from cars entirely.
Likes For Vetnherder:
Old 08-22-22, 04:47 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Aside from anecdotal evidence and our own experiences in school zones, how do we know that school zones are more dangerous than any other area with high concentration of both pedestrian and vehicular traffic?

Sure there are specific fatality and collision statistics for school zones in each city, state or province but how do they compare with CBD construction zones in those same cities, shopping centre and grocery parking lots, or airports right after an arrival?
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 11-14-22, 02:50 PM
JessieSayre
Banned.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I bet they do accident statistics and make some conclusions and axioms about risk areas. I am saying this from my experience as I have done some research on this. However, I opt for online lessons. I see an increasing number of accidents that endanger the lives of pupils. https://edubirdie.com/buy-assignment-online is a great support for those who choose home learning. I was homeschooling and when I had something unclear, I went to buy assignments online. It saved me a lot of time and explained a lot about topics I didn't understand. In a short time, the consequences of accidents for children can be avoided through online learning.

Last edited by JessieSayre; 11-18-22 at 06:24 AM.
Old 11-15-22, 09:59 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I am really conflicted about red light and speed cameras. They don't seem to punish the behaviors that are actually problems. The corporations that run them are cash-grabby and connive with the traffic authorities to invent some low-rent tricks that make them more profitable.
this summer my Mom got a traffic ticket in the mail. the photo on the ticket clearly showed her making a right at the traffic light, which was GREEN! she just paid it anyway ...
Old 11-15-22, 11:39 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Originally Posted by JessieSayre
I bet they do accident statistics and make some conclusions and axioms about risk areas. I tell this from my experience as I have done kinda research about it.
Over in Austin it takes at least two deaths or more ta get some attention...
Old 11-15-22, 01:22 PM
fat biker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I read an amazing statistic: Out of all the kids who walk to school or ride a bike to school AND get hit by cars, half of them are hit by parents driving their kids to school. So these parents think they are avoiding danger by driving their kids, but really, they are creating the danger they think they are avoiding.
As I see it they are keeping their kids safe from other traffic and in effect transfering the danger to the kids that walk or ride bikes. Not sure, is that selfish or just antisocial? For sure it is not good for the air that we all breathe.

One morning I was out in the car. Stopped in traffic,saw a young mother of two small children install them both into the backseat of a Suburban. I thought about that huge gas sucking truck for two small kids. Would a sedan not do the job? Or is it more a case of I want a tank to drive around in to keep me and mine as safe as possible?

fat biker
Old 11-15-22, 01:28 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by fat biker
As I see it they are keeping their kids safe from other traffic and in effect transfering the danger to the kids that walk or ride bikes. Not sure, is that selfish or just antisocial? For sure it is not good for the air that we all breathe.

One morning I was out in the car. Stopped in traffic,saw a young mother of two small children install them both into the backseat of a Suburban. I thought about that huge gas sucking truck for two small kids. Would a sedan not do the job? Or is it more a case of I want a tank to drive around in to keep me and mine as safe as possible?

fat biker
Your view of it is fairly accurate, but it's worse than you depict it. The more parents drive, the more danger there is on the road.

In observing people's behavior, I try not to be judgmental. (Really Tom, after your rant?) A person might have a legitimate reason to use a Suburban (most giant SUV) that isn't immediately apparent. The more important things are the trends and the incentives that cause the trends. I knew a woman who often transported her six kids in a Suburban. She got ticked off at all the anti-SUV rhetoric, and she had a good reason to be annoyed. My spouse has an SUV, though we use it for hauling construction supplies and occasionally things such as driving bikes to the state park. So we use it for SPORT and UTILITY, not commuting. And it has a 4-cylinder engine, so it's not a hog.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-15-22, 02:38 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Legitimate utility is subjective. I live in the burbs and have a crew cab F150. I can take kid seats three abreast in the back, Vespa in the bed, bikes in the travel trailer.

This is not LCF
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 11-15-22, 04:02 PM
fat biker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Your view of it is fairly accurate, but it's worse than you depict it. The more parents drive, the more danger there is on the road.

In observing people's behavior, I try not to be judgmental. (Really Tom, after your rant?) A person might have a legitimate reason to use a Suburban (most giant SUV) that isn't immediately apparent. The more important things are the trends and the incentives that cause the trends. I knew a woman who often transported her six kids in a Suburban. She got ticked off at all the anti-SUV rhetoric, and she had a good reason to be annoyed. My spouse has an SUV, though we use it for hauling construction supplies and occasionally things such as driving bikes to the state park. So we use it for SPORT and UTILITY, not commuting. And it has a 4-cylinder engine, so it's not a hog.
Yes, noglider, you make a good point.
I almost included it in my post...
My nephew and his wife have 4 kids and more than 100 pounds of dog or dogs. They drive a Suburban which makes perfect sense for them.
A goood friend and his wife drive the biggest Ford SUV. It hauls their family of 7.

I find it almost always makes the most sense to use the right tool for the job.

fat biker
Old 11-16-22, 12:46 PM
JessieSayre
Banned.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zandoval
Over in Austin it takes at least two deaths or more ta get some attention...
I don't even know what's worse, the fact that 1 accident is not enough to pay attention or or that there is no preventive actions at all.
Likes For JessieSayre: