Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

How to choose a suitable electric bicycle?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

How to choose a suitable electric bicycle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-22, 09:24 PM
I_like_e_bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Question How to choose a suitable electric bicycle?

My relative is 60 years old, he has 10 years of cycling experience when he was young, now he has serious arthritis, but still want to ride to the parade,
at the same time I don't know whether electric bike will aggravate his condition?
How to choose a suitable electric bicycle for the elderly?
Old 09-07-22, 08:40 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 614 Posts
Test ride some if they're available in your area, read about "best bikes for seniors" (try YouTube) or procure a Lectric Cycles light ebike for circa $800.
Old 09-07-22, 09:48 AM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by I_like_e_bike
My relative is 60 years old, he has 10 years of cycling experience when he was young, now he has serious arthritis, but still want to ride to the parade,
at the same time I don't know whether electric bike will aggravate his condition?
How to choose a suitable electric bicycle for the elderly?
First, 60 isn't "elderly". Second, does he have good mobility and good balance? If not, you may want to consider a step-through, something with a low step-over height, or a tadpole recumbent. All of these can be found electrified.
Old 09-07-22, 08:22 PM
I_like_e_bike

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Oh, I really shouldn't have called 60 "elderly" .Thank you for reminding me. But I think he might not like tadpole recumbent, he doesn't really want to travel lying down, he has a certain balance, so a light electric car would be more suitable for him?
Old 09-07-22, 08:30 PM
I_like_e_bike

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Ok, that sounds good. Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-07-22, 11:31 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Oh, I really shouldn't have called 60 "elderly" .Thank you for reminding me. But I think he might not like tadpole recumbent, he doesn't really want to travel lying down, he has a certain balance, so a light electric car would be more suitable for him?
I ride an electrified tadpole recumbent. Some have more upright seating so they are easier to get in/out of and have better visibility (check out the Catrike Villager for example). I love it, I ride 2-3x the distance I used to ride on my upright 2 wheeler because there is absolutely no discomfort even after 4+ hours. Also, drivers tend to give me a lot more room and respect on the trike than they ever did when riding my 2 wheeler. Talk to your relative......at 60 he may/may not have some physical issues to consider and is capable of deciding what is of interest.
Kudos to you for being concerned.
Old 09-08-22, 01:17 AM
I_like_e_bike

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
As you said, when you are 60 years old, you may not care about your physical condition, more should be spiritual enjoyment, I think I should ask my relative's opinion, rather than me to help him decide. Thank you for sharing your story with me, and wish you health and happiness all the time.
Old 09-11-22, 04:59 PM
palincss

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 31 Posts

Here's an example of a recumbent trike where the rider isn't anywhere near "lying down." (Catrike Villager). It's also available electrified as the Villager eCat.

https://www.catrike.com/villager-ecat $5350, which is considerably less than some e-bikes.

And you bet you shouldn't be saying someone 60 yrs old is "elderly."