Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Getting tired of the costume change

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 09-15-22, 05:56 PM
VRC

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I’m going to try velosambas, stretchy jeans, and a wool tee and see how it feels for a 10 mile, semi sporty commute and working. Wish me luck. Advice/commisseration welcome.

Edit: so people can stop piling on. I am not worried or think I will be smelling bad at work. It does not matter what I do for a job.
Seeking stories about people commuting in “normal” but bike appropriate clothes. Thanks or just ignore.

Last edited by VRC; 09-16-22 at 09:37 PM.
Likes For VRC:
Old 09-15-22, 06:17 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 774 Posts
What type of work do you do? 10 'sporty' miles may make you, uh, 'funky' to your co-workers.
Old 09-15-22, 08:45 PM
VRC

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
What type of work do you do? 10 'sporty' miles may make you, uh, 'funky' to your co-workers.
None if your business but I think it’s fine. I’ve been doing the ride changing out of kit just because I don’t want to wear bibs all day.
Old 09-15-22, 11:38 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by VRC
None if your business but I think it’s fine. I’ve been doing the ride changing out of kit just because I don’t want to wear bibs all day.
Likes For holytrousers:
Old 09-16-22, 06:07 AM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by VRC
Congratulations! You've been added to my "list".
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 09-16-22, 08:06 AM
VRC

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by holytrousers
Sorry I seem to have shocked people but I was shocked by Paul’s reply too.

To clarify, my question/comment relates to *riding the bike* in street clothes. I am not concerned about wearing clothes/existing at work.
Old 09-16-22, 02:54 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,203 Posts
Kind of work would affect my advice. Construction or lawn care? Good luck! Public-facing job or office work? Uh, think about this.

Since you don't seem to recognize or to care about these niceties, I'm not sure what there's left to discuss.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 09-16-22, 04:56 PM
Shortwave

Bikes: 2024 Specialized Diverge E5, 2020 Giant Stance 2, Trek Domane 2 Fixed Gear FTW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Yeah bro! Give the Anon dude on a public forum some privacy!!!! I'm just joshing.
Likes For Shortwave:
Old 09-16-22, 07:17 PM
RoadWearier

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 74 Posts
This forum gets battier all the time.
Likes For RoadWearier:
Old 09-16-22, 07:20 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,497 Times in 3,344 Posts
I wear jeans riding my bike more than I wear anything else. Each person is different.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 09-16-22, 07:47 PM
Bogey Speedwell

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport, State Bicycle Klunker

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by VRC
WOW, LOL!

come here asking for suggestions and when one steps up to help, and believes deeper details would help with their solicited suggestion…... BAM ‘your not entitled to details, how dare you’

Not like anyone here would be able to tie your name and type of work to find out who you are…..let alone care.
Likes For Bogey Speedwell:
Old 09-16-22, 09:32 PM
VRC

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Kind of work would affect my advice. Construction or lawn care? Good luck! Public-facing job or office work? Uh, think about this.

Since you don't seem to recognize or to care about these niceties, I'm not sure what there's left to discuss.
Question is about the ride, not the work day.
Old 09-16-22, 10:25 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 311 Posts
The important things to figure out are shoes and bottoms. 10 miles makes me wanna ride clipless. Never been a fan of riding in jeans (or pants), I prefer shorts or 3/4 pants (neither are really appropriate for my work so I'm doing the costume change anyway).
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 09-17-22, 12:05 AM
holytrousers
hoppipola

VRC PEOPLE have feelings, if you ask them for help, the least you can do is not to be rude. But your apology is much appreciated, hope Bald Paul has read it.
If you still care about your question:
When my commutes were 24km each way, i wore jeans and the pain was bearable. When they became 44km, cycling clothes became inevitable.
Keep us updated !
Likes For holytrousers:
Old 09-17-22, 07:03 AM
Bald Paul

VRC PEOPLE have feelings, if you ask them for help, the least you can do is not to be rude. But your apology is much appreciated, hope Bald Paul has read it.
If you still care about your question:
When my commutes were 24km each way, i wore jeans and the pain was bearable. When they became 44km, cycling clothes became inevitable.
Keep us updated !
I don't see his replies (the "list" thing) nor do I care about an apology.
However, the updates would be nice. Perhaps posting some shots of a chafed groin area, or the looks on co-workers faces as they pass downwind would be helpful.
Old 09-17-22, 10:34 AM
PaulH

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
Twenty years of experience commuting in normal office clothing here, brought to a possible end by forced telework. My commute was 25 miles round trip for part of that time. I think that the "semi sporty" part could be a problem. An hour and a quarter for 12.5 miles worked out well for me. Basically, I rode at a walking level of exertion. The type of bike is a really big factor. Upright bikes, like English 3 speeds or modern European commuter bikes are designed to be ridden in normal clothing. Most bikes sold in this country (road, mountain, or hybrid) are not. Upright riding position, wide leather saddle, and a chainguard/chaincase make a huge difference. My answer is yes, you can do it, and with the proper equipment it can be the easiest. fastest, and most convenient way to commute in congested areas with little or no parking. If you want sporty, I think an e-bike might be good.
Likes For PaulH:
Old 09-17-22, 02:00 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Originally Posted by PaulH
Twenty years of experience commuting in normal office clothing here, brought to a possible end by forced telework. My commute was 25 miles round trip for part of that time. I think that the "semi sporty" part could be a problem. An hour and a quarter for 12.5 miles worked out well for me. Basically, I rode at a walking level of exertion. The type of bike is a really big factor. Upright bikes, like English 3 speeds or modern European commuter bikes are designed to be ridden in normal clothing. Most bikes sold in this country (road, mountain, or hybrid) are not. Upright riding position, wide leather saddle, and a chainguard/chaincase make a huge difference. My answer is yes, you can do it, and with the proper equipment it can be the easiest. fastest, and most convenient way to commute in congested areas with little or no parking. If you want sporty, I think an e-bike might be good.
A road bike could bring those 12 miles down to 40 minutes, with 35 minutes left to freshen up and change clothes
Likes For holytrousers:
Old 09-17-22, 03:34 PM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
What type of work do you do?
Originally Posted by VRC
None if your business.
Relax dude.. He din't ask for the company name, workplace address, what hours you work, your home address, SSN or any other type of information what would cause such an obtuse response..
Likes For raqball:
Old 09-18-22, 08:13 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulH
A road bike could bring those 12 miles down to 40 minutes, with 35 minutes left to freshen up and change clothes
Paul H commuted 12.5 miles to work in the Washington D.C. area. Would a road bike turn all the traffic signals green as well as make stop signs and rush hour traffic disappear too?
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 10-06-22, 05:58 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,774 Posts
Originally Posted by raqball
Relax dude.. He din't ask for the company name, workplace address, what hours you work, your home address, SSN or any other type of information what would cause such an obtuse response..
You are completely disregarding the distinct possibility that he is an international assassin, and that Big Gravel is monitoring him via his ISP.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 10-06-22, 05:59 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,774 Posts
I wear street clothes to commute whenever I feel the need to cultivate a new pimple on my arse.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 10-06-22, 06:46 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I wear jeans riding my bike more than I wear anything else. Each person is different.
I am a woodworker but I had to give up on jeans because I am lucky if they last 4 months before I wear out the crotch. so no more cotton. I just got these for regular weather I have waterproof pant s for winter https://www.rei.com/product/185218/r...ath-pants-mens
I wear them in my shop.

Last edited by fooferdoggie; 10-06-22 at 07:11 PM.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 09-17-23, 07:00 AM
duffer1960

Bikes: Fred cycles

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
I'd like to wear jeans while out riding my bike, because I'm often heading somewhere (e.g., a meeting with a service professional like a dr. or dentist, a sports event, the grocery store, etc.) where I don't want to be wearing tights and changing isn't really convenient.

I normally wear Levi's 550 (Relaxed fit) jeans & I'm a bit fat, with fat thighs, and wear a big waist. I've found the crotch space is okay for normal activities (sitting still, walking), but has nowhere near enough room for riding. Who if anyone makes jeans (or another casual-style pant) that have generous crotch space suitable for cycling?
Old 09-17-23, 08:39 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by VRC
I’m going to try velosambas, stretchy jeans, and a wool tee and see how it feels for a 10 mile, semi sporty commute and working. Wish me luck. Advice/commisseration welcome.

Edit: so people can stop piling on. I am not worried or think I will be smelling bad at work. It does not matter what I do for a job.
Seeking stories about people commuting in “normal” but bike appropriate clothes. Thanks or just ignore.
You might not care. But your co-workers might.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 09-17-23, 10:50 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Paul H commuted 12.5 miles to work in the Washington D.C. area. Would a road bike turn all the traffic signals green as well as make stop signs and rush hour traffic disappear too?
I think a fixed gear does that. And gives you an invisible force field that protects against car collisions.
Likes For SkinGriz:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.