Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

The tradition of me breaking stuff continues this. Brooks C-17 seat rail

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

The tradition of me breaking stuff continues this. Brooks C-17 seat rail

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-22, 06:57 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
The tradition of me breaking stuff continues this. Brooks C-19 seat rail

Felt a good crack and than the seat wobble. Dang I broke the seat clamp bolts a couple months back too (Kinekt suspension post).

6’4” 275# isn’t gentle on seats and posts.

Time for a new seat! what to get? I like Brooks and have 2 more leather ones in other bikes. But are there seats with stronger seat rails? Brooks should be steel but I don’t know what grade and strength.

Last edited by Toadmeister; 11-13-22 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-14-22, 07:31 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 987 Times in 519 Posts
New rails can be had, check Ebay.
Old 11-14-22, 05:43 PM
DWhitworth

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I am 50-75# heavier than you and use the C-17 saddles on my bikes. I seem to get 3-4 seasons out of them before this happens.

DaveW
Likes For DWhitworth:
Old 11-14-22, 06:25 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Originally Posted by bwilli88
New rails can be had, check Ebay.
thanks for the tip!
Old 11-14-22, 09:33 PM
Toadmeister

Originally Posted by DWhitworth
I am 50-75# heavier than you and use the C-17 saddles on my bikes. I seem to get 3-4 seasons out of them before this happens.

DaveW
Update, I ordered 2 sets of replacement rails!
Likes For Toadmeister:
Old 11-15-22, 05:50 PM
DWhitworth

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Toadmeister
Update, I ordered 2 sets of replacement rails!
Where did you get them?

DaveW
Old 11-15-22, 06:44 PM
Toadmeister

Originally Posted by DWhitworth
Where did you get them?

DaveW
I ordered direct from Brooks in England
Old 11-15-22, 07:13 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,881 Times in 843 Posts
i wonder if your seatpost clamp has a little high spot that is causing a stress point?
Old 12-03-22, 08:40 AM
RH Clark

Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 256 Posts
It looks like improper heat treatment to me, based on what I see of grain structure in that break. It would be an interesting test to see how far a replacement rail would bend before breaking.
Old 12-03-22, 08:47 AM
Toadmeister

Originally Posted by RH Clark
It looks like improper heat treatment to me, based on what I see of grain structure in that break. It would be an interesting test to see how far a replacement rail would bend before breaking.
My workplace has a materials lab where we could actually analyze this. The Engineer I knew retired around COVID However. Not sure who his replacement is now.
Old 12-04-22, 10:58 AM
RH Clark

Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 256 Posts
My workplace has a materials lab where we could actually analyze this. The Engineer I knew retired around COVID However. Not sure who his replacement is now.
I would also examine that base to make sure it isn't causing uneven pressure or damage at the edge when tightened down. I don't think that rail should have broken unless it's defective or the OP is actually bending the rail slightly back and forth when shifting weight around on the seat. I don't think that would happen unless the base is exerting uneven pressure.

Last edited by RH Clark; 12-04-22 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-04-22, 01:52 PM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 88 Posts
I'm a bit heavier than you, and I've yet to break something on a Brooks. Also, using a suspension seatpost would, I'd think, soak up a lot of the stress of your weight on the saddle. I'm guessing it was just a defective rail.
Old 12-13-22, 12:51 PM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 178 Posts
I broke the rail on a B17 when I was 5 miles from home. Not a fun ride back and I was sore for days. It was over 30 years old so it was probably due to fail, but thanks for the reminder. I may try to fix it myself this winter.
Old 12-14-22, 10:20 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
This happened to me with my B66. I replaced the rails but I was never able to get the tension right again. Good luck with yours.
Old 05-28-23, 10:28 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Felt a good crack and than the seat wobble. Dang I broke the seat clamp bolts a couple months back too (Kinekt suspension post).

Time for a new seat! what to get? I like Brooks and have 2 more leather ones in other bikes. But are there seats with stronger seat rails? Brooks should be steel but I don’t know what grade and strength.

I use the Kinekt suspension seatpost also. I bought a Spongy Wonder noseless saddle years ago and the manufacture recommended replacing the seat clamp bolts on seatposts with Grade 8 bolts. His saddle design if slid back far enough would put a heck of a twisting load on the seat clamp. Ever since I have been careful to try to get saddles and handlebar setups that centered the seatpost load in a more vertical up and down direction. I have used the Spongy Wonder for years pushed way forward which centers the load over the clamp and have not had any clamp bolt issues. Just another thing to think about at my weight range (260lbs). I love the Kinekt seatpost. Best suspension seatpost I've owned and used by far.
Old 11-13-23, 03:44 PM
AstroEng
Roadkill

Bikes: Novara Verita, Novara Buzz, Radpower Radwagon

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tallbikeman
I use the Kinekt suspension seatpost also. I bought a Spongy Wonder noseless saddle years ago and the manufacture recommended replacing the seat clamp bolts on seatposts with Grade 8 bolts. His saddle design if slid back far enough would put a heck of a twisting load on the seat clamp. Ever since I have been careful to try to get saddles and handlebar setups that centered the seatpost load in a more vertical up and down direction. I have used the Spongy Wonder for years pushed way forward which centers the load over the clamp and have not had any clamp bolt issues. Just another thing to think about at my weight range (260lbs). I love the Kinekt seatpost. Best suspension seatpost I've owned and used by far.
I know this post is old, but just had my seat clamp bolt break on the ride home and noticed that one of my C17 rails has a crack as well. I figured I'd check the forum and see if it is w common occurrence for Clyde's... Ugh. Thanks for the idea about using a different grade bolt. I may also try sliding the saddle forward.
Old 11-15-23, 08:15 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked 2,513 Times in 1,051 Posts
I busted a rail on a San Marco Rolls Titanio in pretty much exactly the same place. It was close to 20 years ago. I've used Rollses (both titanium- and steel-railed) for thousands of miles before and since and have never had another one break.

The point is, unless you have a repeat performance, I would suspect a manufacturing defect, the kind of lightening that happens only rarely and is unlikely to strike twice. Granted, you have a Brooks cambium series and I ride Rolls, but both have been doing this for a long time and both have pretty good reputations, so I think the point applies.

Oh, I'm 6'3" 255lbs. I've been as much as 290 (30+ years ago) and may have weighed as much as 265-270 when I busted the rail.
Old 12-24-23, 08:37 AM
Toadmeister

Also had a rear hub’s internals fail during my September Northwoods Bikepacking trip in Wisconsin only like 10 miles into the trip…. Wound up getting a SAG and going home early…

I worked with my LBS, built a completely new heavy duty rear wheel for Bikepacking. DT Swiss 305 hub with ARC heavy duty rims. Actually got a deal as a freind had it built for himself but ordered the wrong parts for his bike.

failed another older rear rim on a different wheel also this fall. It was a cheaper budget WTB rim and had cracking around the spoke holes around 1000 miles. rebuilt with new rim…

Last edited by Toadmeister; 12-24-23 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-24-23, 08:43 AM
Toadmeister

Originally Posted by arex
I'm a bit heavier than you, and I've yet to break something on a Brooks. Also, using a suspension seatpost would, I'd think, soak up a lot of the stress of your weight on the saddle. I'm guessing it was just a defective rail.
I’m thinking the suspension adds sinusoidal load cycles to the seat rails. Think of amplitude of waves and those peaks strains add up over so many cycles. Even tho the rails are steel, they will eventually fail after so many cycles.