Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Ishiwata 024 Ross?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Ishiwata 024 Ross?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-07, 03:36 PM
laman012
Vive la vélorution!

Bikes: SR PRO-AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ishiwata 024 Ross?

Here is a ross frame i picked up for $25. It has ishiwata 024 tubing. is this a high end tubing/bike/frame?
thank you
ladule

Old 07-16-07, 12:50 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 783 Posts
Originally Posted by laman012
Here is a ross frame i picked up for $25. It has ishiwata 024 tubing. is this a high end tubing/bike/frame?
thank you
ladule

The tubing is probably a bit higher grade than the bike. Ishiwata 024 was a bit heavier than the 019 and 022 that went into many very nice bikes, including such as: San Rensho, Trek, Bianchi and some Ross bikes that sold for more than this one. I figure 024 as being akin to Columbus SP or a Touring set of 531, it's gonna be plenty strong but a little...heavy...probably not something you'd notice in the ride. This looks like a mid-grade Ross, likely made in Japan rather than Allentown, PA...it's got stamped rear DOs, that weird ""safety-C" fork end, and probably .833 size stem...fix it up and ride it!
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 05-15-16, 04:50 PM
kantquit

Bikes: FeltV90f

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looks like the Enhancer to me
Old 05-15-16, 09:03 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Ishiwata 024 was seamless chrome-moly tubing, slightly heavier gauge than the more common 022 tubing:

Old 05-15-16, 10:40 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Harking back eight years, I would agree with unworthy1. Ross used 024 tubing on their top (or...nearly top if you can find the super unicorns above it) 294S Signature model, of which I have. Hand-built in PA, all that. Ride is sublime, and the bike came in at 23 lbs ready to ride (25" / 64cm frame, no less).
Old 08-01-16, 10:50 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Ishiwata 024 was seamless chrome-moly tubing, slightly heavier gauge than the more common 022 tubing:

How should I read this for seat post diameters? I have an 024 bike now with no post.

I found this post from T-Mar on bike-air from 2007... he says 27.0. The math doesn't make sense to me. 28.6 minus 2x.7 = 27.2, righ? https://www.bike-air.com/Help-ID-ing-..._10395024.html
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 08-01-16 at 11:39 PM.
Old 08-02-16, 03:25 AM
busdriver1959

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
How should I read this for seat post diameters? I have an 024 bike now with no post.

I found this post from T-Mar on bike-air from 2007... he says 27.0. The math doesn't make sense to me. 28.6 minus 2x.7 = 27.2, righ? Help ID'ing Ishiwata frame
Your math is good but you now want to subtract .2 from 27.2 so the seatpost will have just a little extra room to allow it to slide in and out.
Old 08-02-16, 04:25 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
While the main tubes are Isiwata 024, the presence of stamped dropouts indicate that the stays and forks are almost certainly hi-tensile steel which compromises the weight, ride quality and level of the bicycle. The remaining components appear to be mostly upper entry level, with a swaged crankset, steel headset, non-micro-adjust post, etc. I'd say this bicycle was just above the cusp of entry level and mid-range during it's era.
Old 08-02-16, 05:04 AM
nikkorod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had a similar Ross Paragon, but it was probably a higher quality build as it had forged dropouts and the seat stay caps were nicer. https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...s-paragon.html
Old 08-02-16, 08:20 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Sorry @T-Mar and @nikkorod to be confusing. This is a zombie thread but I replied to it because JohnDThompson posted the tubing specs. The Paragon that I picked up also has forged drops. I don't know if the one in this thread's OP is a Paragon.
Old 08-02-16, 08:21 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by busdriver1959
Your math is good but you now want to subtract .2 from 27.2 so the seatpost will have just a little extra room to allow it to slide in and out.
Thank you for the explanation.
Old 08-04-19, 08:52 AM
danco

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
Harking back eight years, I would agree with unworthy1. Ross used 024 tubing on their top (or...nearly top if you can find the super unicorns above it) 294S Signature model, of which I have. Hand-built in PA, all that. Ride is sublime, and the bike came in at 23 lbs ready to ride (25" / 64cm frame, no less).
My 1982 Ross Super Gran Tour XV has the heavy duty touring spec I****awa 024 tubing. It was their top quality (and price) calalog model with the exception of the hand built "Signatures." It is a fabulous 15-speed ride. Just my opinion.
Old 11-15-22, 12:56 PM
JoeBass

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by danco
My 1982 Ross Super Gran Tour XV has the heavy duty touring spec I****awa 024 tubing. It was their top quality (and price) calalog model with the exception of the hand built "Signatures." It is a fabulous 15-speed ride. Just my opinion.
I’ve recently acquired a beautiful, like new, Ross Super Gran Tour XV, and I completely concur- It’s a truly beautiful bike, and the fact that these were made with the same tubing as my 3Rensho (but with a touring spec tube) and a full Shimano 600 Arabesque group (with a triple) makes these an amazing bargain on the used market. Photos were taken as soon as I got the bike home, hence the wonky front skewer position, flipped down, on the drive side.

Last edited by JoeBass; 11-20-22 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-20-22, 08:00 PM
kantquit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ross

Originally Posted by JoeBass
I’ve recently acquired a beautiful, like new, Ross Super Gran Tour XV, and I completely concur- It’s a truly beautiful bike, and the fact that these were made with the same tubing as my 3Rensho (but with a touring spec tube) and a full Shimano 600 Arabesque group (with a triple) makes these an amazing bargain on the used market.

It’s hard to find a Ross as nice as yours,looks like it just came from the showroom.Mine is similar different model not as perfect for sure
Likes For kantquit:
Old 11-20-22, 08:30 PM
JoeBass

Originally Posted by kantquit
It’s hard to find a Ross as nice as yours,looks like it just came from the showroom. Mine is similar different model not as perfect for sure
I'm gonna slap some new tubes and tires on this guy, ride it, and finally give it a chance to fulfil its intended destiny, so it won't look this nice for too much longer.
Old 11-21-22, 12:12 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
I'd keep the old tubes if there are no problems with them. We sold one of those in the bike shop that I worked. I was the one that put it together. This was not an easy bike to sell with a shop that had Schwinn, Panasonic and Fuji bikes. This bike provided value. The color set it off as more of a mature adult bike, because back then almost all the colors were bright or metallic or nicely finished black . This color was called Taupe. With the brown accents on the cable housing and bar tape, and gold lettering, it was different but nice.

There are three other things I remember about that bike:

1. It had the "C" shaped front fork ends as all companies were exploring the best answer to the wheel cannot fall out if the quick release is not tight issue.
2. It had the seat stay ends crimped
3. And it was a big step for CBC (Chain Bike Corp.) to go up market into the competitive segment occupied by so many more recognizable brands at the time. At this time they hired Tom Kellogg for their high end bikes.

Enjoy the bike. I don't remember how it rode, but it has some good pedigree even if many don't recognize it as a good bike. And, of course the condition is outstanding.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 11-21-22, 09:10 PM
JoeBass

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
I'd keep the old tubes if there are no problems with them. We sold one of those in the bike shop that I worked. I was the one that put it together. This was not an easy bike to sell with a shop that had Schwinn, Panasonic and Fuji bikes. This bike provided value. The color set it off as more of a mature adult bike, because back then almost all the colors were bright or metallic or nicely finished black . This color was called Taupe. With the brown accents on the cable housing and bar tape, and gold lettering, it was different but nice.

1. It had the "C" shaped front fork ends as all companies were exploring the best answer to the wheel cannot fall out if the quick release is not tight issue.
3. And it was a big step for CBC (Chain Bike Corp.) to go up market into the competitive segment occupied by so many more recognizable brands at the time. At this time they hired Tom Kellogg for their high end bikes.

Enjoy the bike. I don't remember how it rode, but it has some good pedigree even if many don't recognize it as a good bike. And, of course the condition is outstanding.
Thanks very much for the insights, Velo Mule! Amazing that you actually built up/sold this model back in the day and remember so much about it! I can’t remember what I had for breakfast yesterday.
Old 11-27-22, 07:49 PM
kantquit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Velo Mule

I’d like to update my Ross Enticer with better wheels and cassette and a two ring crank,what would you recommend? Thank you