Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Cold Weather Gear

Old 01-31-22, 10:56 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
It'll be on a 6.2-mile loop with 312 feet of climbing. Not bad in terms of hills, but I'll admit I'm concerned about riding through the night in those conditions. The body naturally feels colder overnight, and I'm not sure I'll be able to work hard enough after 12+ hours to keep myself warm in any case. People around here don't know how to deal with the cold in general, and I wouldn't be surprised if the promoter winds up making some kind of change to the event.
Old 01-31-22, 12:43 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5220 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Bolle Tracker sunglasses that are like a cross between goggles and sunglasses. The Bolle glasses in the photo below. The elastic band around the back is over a knob on my helmet, that is not apparent in the photo. If I stop for a minute, they will fog up a bit, but quickly clear out when rolling again. I usually only use these in the range of about 35 to 45 degrees, maybe up to 50 if it started out cool.
intriguing! looks like you can get them w/o the elastic band. are the foam inserts removable?
Old 01-31-22, 02:06 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
intriguing! looks like you can get them w/o the elastic band. are the foam inserts removable?
The elastic band removes quite easily, but I think it is too easy to remove as sometimes I accidently turn the clamp and it removes itself.

I want to use the elastic band to help hold the insert parts against my skin better. I have glasses that do not go against your skin around your eyes that I use for warmer weather, the Bolle ones I only use in that range of 30s or 40s, maybe low 50s.

The pieces that go against your skin have small holes in them for air venting, when you stop you should expect the insides to fog up but after you start moving they immediately start to unfog and quickly clear up. If I plan to stop for several minutes, I take them off so they do not fog up too much. If they are removable, I could not figure out how to remove them, but since I have no reason to remove them I did not try too hard.

Really cold weather, I prefer ski goggles over the Bolle glasses. But ski goggles do not fit as well as I would like with my helmets.
Old 01-31-22, 02:38 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

The elastic band removes quite easily, but I think it is too easy to remove as sometimes I accidently turn the clamp and it removes itself.I want to use the elastic band to help hold the insert parts against my skin better. I have glasses that do not go against your skin around your eyes that I use for warmer weather, the Bolle ones I only use in that range of 30s or 40s, maybe low 50s.The pieces that go against your skin have small holes in them for air venting, when you stop you should expect the insides to fog up but after you start moving they immediately start to unfog and quickly clear up. If I plan to stop for several minutes, I take them off so they do not fog up too much. If they are removable, I could not figure out how to remove them, but since I have no reason to remove them I did not try too hard.Really cold weather, I prefer ski goggles over the Bolle glasses. But ski goggles do not fit as well as I would like with my helmets.
I was asking because I have Bolle ski goggles & I removed the foam inserts. still get protection from elements but fog much less. & I agree that using them w/ a bike helmet are less than ideal. I find then press a little on the bridge of my nose. we recently got our Son a new ski helmet, super light & fits really well w/ the Bolle goggles
Old 01-31-22, 04:17 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Since this thread has a renewed life with new posts, a quick update.

I went for a 20 mile exercise ride on Jan 12. Weather warmed up to high 20s and almost no wind. In other words, outstanding weather for a bike ride. Started out with total overcast, and saw no other bikers, but by the end of the ride the sun was out and some other bikers were venturing out.

I saw the good weather in the forecast a few days before, so I anticipated that I would want to go for a ride. Fitted studded tires to one of my bikes a couple days in advance so I would have something I could ride without worrying about ice.

This thread asked about what to wear just above freezing in wet rainy weather. I had a dry day, so what I wore was not directly applicable, as I did not have to worry about keeping the water out. In the sun, the snow was melting but in shade was not melting, so temp was just below freezing.

If it was raining out and if I had to go out and get wet, with a good rain jacket, rain pants, rain protection for my gloves or water proof gloves, I could have wore everything else that I wore under the rain gear. The last photo in post number 5 above shows my red Marmot Precip rain jacket.

Wore from top down, but hands last:
  • Rain cover over helmet. There was no rain, but it cuts the wind from going through the vents so it is warmer.
  • Insulated ear band over ears.
  • Bolle Tracker glasses.
  • Neck gaiter.
  • Started out with a down vest (yellow for visibility) but planned to shed that after I warmed up so wore the vest over all other layers. Shed it after about 4 miles. If it was raining, this of course would have been under the rain jacket.
  • Wind breaker over thin jacket over a long sleeve bike jersey. The thin jacket under the wind breaker was sold as a full zip long sleeve jersey, but it is thick enough that I use it as a jacket. because it offers some warmth.
  • EDIT ADDED LATER: I forgot to mention when I first wrote this that I also had a Polartec vest under the wind breaker for more insulation over my body core.
  • Addidas brand athletic pants (they are over a decade old, model unknown) they are essentially windproof and offer some warmth. Tight fit over lower legs, a strap to keep them out of the chain is not necessary.
  • Bike shorts under the athletic pants.
  • Wool socks and liner socks.
  • Light duty above-ankle hiking boots. The bike has Shimano M324 pedals, platform on one side, SPD cleat other side. Hiking boots have no cleats, use on the platform side. If I have to step in a puddle with the boots, they are close enough to waterproof that several seconds in a puddle would not leak in. If it was raining out, with rain pants that have cuffs that go over the tops of these hiking boots, the boots would have worked.
  • Started out with fairly thick insulated ski gloves, but when hands warmed up switched to some full finger non-insulated gloves. Once my hands started to sweat, I switched gloves so that the warmer gloves did not get damp from sweat.

Since this thread started with specific questions about feet and hands, these are the gloves that I switched to after I warmed up. They have a mitten pocket that goes over the fingers, but I left the mitten pocket packed in the pocket for it. The day had virtually no wind, thus the only wind was what I created for myself. But if it was quite windy, the mitten pocket would have come in handy.
https://www.camp-usa.com/outdoor/pro...p-warm-gloves/

In winter I put the studded tires on my heavy duty touring bike, below. Schwalbe Marathon Winters, 50mm wide, 26 inch wheels.

Vacuum insulated half liter bottle has coffee and a half envelope of instant coco, cool enough that I can drink it quickly if I want.

There are four rows of studs on these tires. These tires are very slow, lots of rolling resistance, you only use these if you think you will encounter ice.

If I am confident that I will not encounter ice, I ride a different bike that either is without studs or if I am a bit paranoid about potential for ice, I might put studs on the front wheel. I have a 35mm wide 700c studded tire that I put on a spare front wheel that I can put on my light touring bike if I want to run a studded tire on front, regular tire on rear.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 02-01-22 at 04:17 PM.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 01-31-22, 09:20 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
One of my most memorable cycling experiences was riding 75 miles in a steady 36° downpour on our tandem. We did fine, but wouldn't do that again. It's just not that much fun. Well, it was for maybe the first 50, kind of cool to be doing that in reasonable comfort but it got old.

Hands were in Giro 100 Plus lobster gloves. I've never found anything better.

Feet were in Lakes MTB boots - we use SPD pedals.

Legs were in a PI Thermal tight that they don't make anymore. AmFib are probably better anyway.

Torsos had a warm Craft underlayer - they don't make this one anymore either, but Craft is great. Then a heavy poly jersey, also not made anymore. It might take 2 modern jerseys to equal it. Then a Voler non-waterproof wind shell on top, this one: https://store.voler.com/collections/...40814062665918. In HiViz of course. Not waterproof is important, but not too permeable either. You have to have some way to get rid of heat and a little water ingress is the solution. The Voler lets jsut enough in.

My head had a PI skull cap, my wife had a balaclava.

The critical ingredient was having dry suit leg seals on our bare ankles. The bell goes down and covers the socks and boot tops. The tights zip down over the leg seals. Our feet stayed dry the whole way. We didn't use foot or hand warmers, didn't need them. If one were to use shoes and booties, the leg seal bells go down over the bootie tops.
Old 02-01-22, 04:22 PM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by adamrice
I'll have my chance to do that and more this coming weekend. 24-hour time trial with an overnight low of 25°F forecast. Oh wait, updated forecast says 20°F.
What is your plan for footwear?
Old 02-01-22, 04:32 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

What is your plan for footwear?
Pearl Izumi wool socks under my regular cleats. They've been good down to about 30°F in the past, although not for this duration. Once it gets really cold, I'll pull on some booties from Galibier (no longer listed on their website). They're not very thick, but they're pretty warm on their own.
Old 02-01-22, 05:00 PM
Tourist in MSN

Pearl Izumi wool socks under my regular cleats. They've been good down to about 30°F in the past, although not for this duration. Once it gets really cold, I'll pull on some booties from Galibier (no longer listed on their website). They're not very thick, but they're pretty warm on their own.
Hands, you are shifting, using brakes, it is easy to think about what conditions your hands are in so it is pretty easy to notice if your hands are getting into trouble. But feet, they are harder to really know what is going on down there when you are not used to dealing with cold weather. You should review the signs of frostbite ahead of time in case that becomes a concern.

There have been a few times when I put on my rain pants even though conditions were dry because the rain pants cut the wind and helped keep my feet warmer.

Do you have an insulated ear band or thin stocking cap that will fit under your helmet suspension?

Good luck.
Old 02-01-22, 05:02 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

I've got a very thin beanie that fits under the lid, and a neck buff that I can pull over my ears.
Old 02-02-22, 05:34 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
I rode 2 hours the other day when it was windy and 23F. Thin beanie, buff, rain cover over helmet, LS merino base layer, Kora Yak LS jersey, Gore rain jacket, Casteli cycling "jacket" jersey. Two pairs of tights, Kucharik wool over thin synthetic ones. Heavy wool socks. Lobster gloves. I probably should have put booties over the shoes but I was warm, except on the downhills.

I find my booties are a PITA to put on. I would consider starting the race with booties on rather than fiddling with them when tired.
Old 02-03-22, 12:12 PM
Tourist in MSN

I've got a very thin beanie that fits under the lid, and a neck buff that I can pull over my ears.
Good luck. Let us know how everything worked out.
Old 02-03-22, 01:16 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

I'll admit I'm pretty anxious about it. If the roads are still icy, I'm bailing.
Old 02-03-22, 02:02 PM
rumrunn6

just looked at hourly forecast for Austin TX on Wunderground. Saturday doesn't look too bad
https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/...ate/2022-02-05
Old 02-03-22, 03:30 PM
Tourist in MSN

I'll admit I'm pretty anxious about it. If the roads are still icy, I'm bailing.
I suspect that you can't buy studded bike tires in TX. Even if you could, they have a lot of rolling resistance. I think I lose about 10 percent of my speed with those tires.

Exactly where and what are the hours of the event?
Old 02-03-22, 03:38 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Feb 5 at noon to Feb 6 at noon, Pace Bend Park, Dripping Springs TX. Overnight low currently predicted to be 25°F, minimal wind, no precipitation.

Do they even make studded tires for road bikes?
Old 02-03-22, 04:15 PM
Tourist in MSN

I put the dot on the map for this forecast.
https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...3#.YfxMUPnMKUk

On that page, you see a graph, that gives you this:
https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...Type=graphical

And I get this when I adjust the hours:

I am not familiar with the place, can't comment on ice.

Almost no wind. But you will make your own wind.

Coldest at about 5am at 23 degrees. Low 40s at the start and finish. Roughly 12 hours below freezing.

Could have frozen water bottle issues. A tube sock over a water bottle and a plastic bag over that can help, but that might not fit in your cages.

Probability of precip is 0 to 1 percent, that is not a concern. Minimal sky cover, could get sunburn on your face.

Frostbite on face or nose? You need to know the symptoms and how to diagnose.

If I was you I would bring rain pants to block wind if the cold is too nasty.

With 24 hours of exertion in cold weather, half of that below freezing, moisture control will be tough. I have had days were two fingers and a thumb on one hand are really cold and almost numb but the other fingers on that hand are sweating. And sweating in gloves or other cloths will make that insulation useless later. If you have extra pairs of gloves, bring them in case some of your gloves get too damp from sweat to insulate well.

If you can find an insulated ear band, I really think you should get that to wear if it will fit under your helmet.

My 700c studded tire is 35mm Nokien is the brand, I only have one 700c studded tire. I think you can get studs down to 32mm width in 700c. I got mine 700c studded tire used at a swap meet.
Old 02-03-22, 04:20 PM
Tourist in MSN

One last comment, if there is that much elevation difference between high and low elevation, in conditions with virtually no wind and clear skies like that, cold air sinks, it could be several degrees colder at the lowest elevations compared to the high points. I have no idea how this impacts strategy, but it is something to consider.
Old 02-03-22, 05:19 PM
Tourist in MSN

And one more comment, Li Ion batteries run down very fast in cold weather. If you are relying on any electronics, that is something to keep in mind. All batteries perform worse in cold but I have noticed when my phone is about 40 degrees or colder, it burns through the battery very fast.
Old 02-03-22, 06:23 PM
rumrunn6

water pack under your jacket to keep it warm drape tube under arm not over shoulder. anyway saw that suggested somewhere
Old 02-04-22, 05:24 AM
BikeLite

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Saturday: Sunny, with a high near 44. West northwest wind around 5 mph becoming south southeast in the afternoon.

Saturday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 21. Southeast wind around 5 mph becoming calm.

Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 50. Calm wind becoming south southwest around 5 mph.

Clear and cold, not windy. Start off with warm hands and feet.
Torso- several layers as needed
Legs- insulated tights or windpant
Head- windproof balaclava
Hands- base layer, insulation, windproof
Feet- thickest pair of socks that will fit with cutdown breadbag over forefoot (not entire foot because of slippage unless put shoe insert inside bag too)

Last edited by BikeLite; 02-04-22 at 05:30 AM.
Old 02-04-22, 09:36 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

I've been vacillating between using water bottles vs a Camelbak for hydration. The Camelbak won't freeze, but I'll have the "clammy sweat halo" around it.

Very familiar with batteries going flat in the cold. My headlight runs off my dynohub, and I have a dyno/USB converter to charge my phone (which I use as my bike computer). Taillights will be a problem.Maybe I'll keep my spare in my back pocket. The only other thing is my bone-conduction headset, for which I bought a new power bank especially so I could recharge it during this event. That might not work. So it goes. I will have an ice chest at my pit station--maybe I can use that to keep things from getting too cold.

I'll be bringing my cool-weather gloves and my cold-weather gloves (which are too warm above freezing). I actually don't have any full-length cycling tights--I have leg warmers, and cold-weather shorts, knicks, and long wool socks, and running tights. I'll figure something out. I've got a neck buff to keep half my face warm, but that may fog my glasses. We'll see (or not, depending). I've got a fancy high-tech base layer that fits very snug, and various wool undershirts, so I can probably manage two base layers. I've got a Perfetto jacket/jersey thing that's pretty good, and a rain jacket I could wear over that. I think my core will be OK.

The loop has a total of 312 feet of climbing over 6.2 miles, so 50 feet/mile. Not a big concern. There shouldn't be any ferocious descents to chill me.

I've had long rides, and I've had cold rides, but this will be the longest, coldest ride I've done.
Old 02-04-22, 03:00 PM
Tourist in MSN

Some like camelbacks, I prefer bottles. It is personal preference.

If you have a pit area, you could leave extra layers of clothing there.

I do not recall, did you said if you have a rain cover for your helmet? That is great to keep the wind out of the helmet vents. If you do not have one, maybe a motel shower cap? My Iceland bike tour, it was cool enough that I left my rain cover on from beginning to end, never took it off for almost a month.

Forecast not much different from when I looked at the forecast yesterday.

Old 02-06-22, 08:38 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Well, I did it. It didn't kill me. On the topic of this thread, I got some things right and some wrong.

My hands were fine. My feet were never quite warm, but never got painfully cold—and mirabile dictu, I never got hotfoot, so I'll call that I win. On my legs, I was wearing Castelli Nano Flex cold-weather shorts, which are great, Gore leg warmers, and when it got into the lower 30s, I added a pair of running tights. The running tights were a little awkward but basically fine.

On my torso I started with a Spatzwear base layer and Castelli Perfetto jacket; later I added another base layer, and later again, my rain jacket. This was not adequate. Around 11 PM, I was shivering uncontrollably. A guy in the warming tent who was there to support his team lent me his jacket (brand unknown), and that made a big difference.

But the other problem was that I kind of forgot that, when I am exhausted, my body can't regulate its temperature. At some point I gave myself permission to take a nap in the warming tent to avoid the coldest of the night, and at 3 AM, I did that. I stayed in the warming tent until about 8 AM (pretending to nap—couldn't sleep), at which point the temperature was above freezing. This is no doubt connected to the way my average heart rate keeps going down. Also, I was one of only two racers who didn't have access to a car to warm up in, which makes a big difference. The warming tent helped, but it was still cold enough to see your breath.

In the end, I covered 242 miles, and was the 2nd male finisher. I think that's more the prize for being too foolish to stay home than anything else.
Old 02-06-22, 09:22 PM
Tourist in MSN

Congratulations for finishing. And congratulations for taking second place, I assume the field was more than two that started. And taking second place when you took a five hour break, that says your other 19 hours were quite productive.

With no mention of the bike or other hardware, I assume everything worked well, no flats, no stiff grease in any components causing problems, etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.