Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Wahoo Kickr v5 or Saris H3? Ready to purchase!

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-22, 05:03 PM
LuMax

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Tarmac 2019 "Sagan" Edition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts

I am ready to buy either the Saris H3 or the Wahoo Kickr v5.
(I also like the Tacx Neo 2T but have narrowed my choice to one of these trainers)

I've read a bunch of reviews and watched a few videos, they seem to alternate between the two as to which is the better trainer. Each time I think I have decided I read another review and swap over to the other trainer.

Background: For the last few years my indoor training has been on a Saris Phantom 5 Cycle using Rouvy Workouts and Rouvy AR (it does not have Zwift compatibility). I am selling it so I can join all of my riding buddies who are already on Zwift, I am the only one in my group who is not. I do not race or do triathlons, I would describe myself as a serious amateur cyclist, I average ~4,000-5,000 miles per year.

Considerations: I live alone in my house so noise is not a consideration (I usually jam loud music while exercising), and the price difference is not a big deal for me considering how much I have invested in my cycling gear already, and I have a spare 11-speed cassette. I will be connecting to a Windows 10 Pro PC on a fast network and 4K monitor. My bike is equipped with Di2, 11 speed, disc brakes, Garmin Vector pedals, Garmin 1030 computer.

So from a standpoint of reliability, performance, connectivity, customer service/technical support, and overall happiness with your trainer, which would you buy today?

Thanks, Tim
Old 02-07-22, 05:39 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Wahoo customer service is great. Being in the Wahoo Kickr ecosystem is also nice in that you have the option of adding a Kickr Climb or whatever that Elite riser thing is called. Their hardware isn't always bulletproof but there are far more happy owners than not. Not having to perform a spindown calibration on the v5 is also nice -- it's one of those quality-of-life things that are trivial but I end up appreciating when I compare riding my Kickr Bike vs my Kickr v4. Sometimes I'd set a really good PR on the v4 and wonder afterward if it wasn't just being generous with the power calculation...
Likes For surak:
Old 02-07-22, 05:41 PM
LuMax

Thanks surak!
Old 02-08-22, 05:42 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4399 Post(s)
Liked 4,843 Times in 2,997 Posts
Yeah, I would go with Yahoo too as the big player in this space. I agree with the above that auto power calibration is a great feature. Takes away the doubt when you haven't been bothered to do a regular spin-down test.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-13-22, 10:36 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
I've got a CycleOps H1 (older version of what you're considering). I had to have warranty work done on it at one point—it took a while, but they did it without any hassle. Other than that, I haven't had any trouble with it. According to DC Rainmaker, the Hammer series handles erg mode better than any of the other smart trainers, FWIW. As it happens, that's how I use mine mostly.

If I had to buy a new trainer, an H3 would be on my shortlist, although I might just move up to a smart bike and Saris doesn't make one.
Old 02-13-22, 10:56 AM
LuMax

I ended up buying the Wahoo Kickr v5, it replaced my Saris Phantom 5 trainer bike.
Now I have a smarter trainer that works with Zwift and others, and a more compact and mobile home gym.

Likes For LuMax: