Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Crownview Dr., Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-21, 07:22 PM
UniGeezer
Not "2" Tired

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 12 Posts

Recently discovered this road climbing hill that is relentlessly long and steep. At 4,750 feet, it's 10-15 times longer than an average city block! The slope grade hits 20% in spots and elsewhere from about 15-17%. It begins at the corner or Palos Verdes Drive East and Crownview drive, and just goes up, up, up and up, and dead-ends after close to 1 mile. I climbed it on my 700c unicycle with 150mm cranks and it was lung buster! Since it's a fixed wheel, that .9 miles requires 627 contiunous revolutions. By comparison, Via La Cuesta, another popular steep climb is only 1,740 feet long, (almost 3,000 feet shorter!) taking only 227 revs on the same uni. Highly recommended if you like an extra tough challenge!
Likes For UniGeezer:
Old 12-28-21, 10:39 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
I ride in PV a lot. I’ll have to give that one a go sometime. You do it on a unicycle??? You da man!
Likes For raceboy:
Old 12-29-21, 02:59 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
yeah, crownview is a tuffy. personally find buggy whip lane in rolling hills the most difficult paved climb on the peninsula but that one is off limits
to the average person since it's in a gated city/community.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 12-29-21, 09:37 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 497 Posts
I have seen some of the UniGeezer other climbs and he is amazing !
When I lived in S.Redondo I loved to ride the hills in PV but mostly stayed on the main streets and then combined with a nice beach roll to Venice/SM and back. Love watching the surfing action when the strand is not too busy like during the Winter season.

Last edited by joesch; 12-29-21 at 04:56 PM.
Likes For joesch:
Old 12-29-21, 11:37 AM
UniGeezer
Not "2" Tired

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
yeah, crownview is a tuffy. personally find buggy whip lane in rolling hills the most difficult paved climb on the peninsula but that one is off limits
to the average person since it's in a gated city/community.
I would love to do that climb! Do you live in this gated community, and if so, could we meet sometime so I could try it on my unicycle?
Old 12-30-21, 12:46 AM
raceboy

Ganado from PV Drive East to Crest is the toughest vert climb I’ve done in PV.

No shortage of good climbs in them thar parts.
Old 12-30-21, 03:16 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Originally Posted by UniGeezer
I would love to do that climb! Do you live in this gated community, and if so, could we meet sometime so I could try it on my unicycle?
used to live there. the riding "inside the gates" is surprisingly worse than you would expect. palos verdes estates is an absolute blast and both rolling hills estates and rancho palos verdes
have their merits.
Old 12-30-21, 04:10 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
ooga-booga definitely knows his way around PV

Found this segment on Strava: https://www.strava.com/segments/11246771?
Old 12-31-21, 02:02 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by raceboy
Ganado from PV Drive East to Crest is the toughest vert climb I’ve done in PV.

No shortage of good climbs in them thar parts.
in rpv (rancho palos verdes), really only like the switchbacks, that last stretch from ganado up to the domes/road’s end (just a stone’s throw from the top of crownview) and via colinita. via colinita is the only street/climb in rpv that seems like it belongs in palos verdes estates. would rather do various hill-climb repeats in palos verdes estates for scenery/road vibes vs most anything in rpv although it is fun whipping around/climbing up to ryan park on hawthorne with that view south along the coast for occasional giggles. the climb up crenshaw (to crest) in rolling hills estates (rhe)/rpv is underrated in terms of difficulty. and if you feel like setting a
personal best in terms of descending speed, that tailwind down crenshaw (past silver spur) once into the canyon will probably get you there. just be careful because it’s really easy to hit ridiculous speeds thru there…and then the curves…nearby eastvale and sunnyridge climbs are decent choices for climbs on warmer days/late start with the amount of shade along the route.

the san pedro/rpv climb up through friendship park to the marymount university area is an interesting one. don’t see it becoming a regular/hot climb but worth doing at least once.

Last edited by diphthong; 12-31-21 at 02:11 AM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 12-31-21, 12:27 PM
UniGeezer
Not "2" Tired

Just finished the Crownview climb on my 24 inch unicycle with 150mm cranks. It took 760 continuous revolutions starting at the bottom where it intersects with Palos Verdes Drive East and it ends at the top in a cul-de-sac. For every revolution I cover 6.28 ft so 760 revolutions is 4,773 feet, or just a bit over 9/10ths of a mile. Definitely a lung buster!

Last edited by UniGeezer; 12-31-21 at 04:27 PM.
Likes For UniGeezer:
Old 12-31-21, 07:53 PM
raceboy

in rpv (rancho palos verdes), really only like the switchbacks, that last stretch from ganado up to the domes/road’s end (just a stone’s throw from the top of crownview) and via colinita. via colinita is the only street/climb in rpv that seems like it belongs in palos verdes estates. would rather do various hill-climb repeats in palos verdes estates for scenery/road vibes vs most anything in rpv although it is fun whipping around/climbing up to ryan park on hawthorne with that view south along the coast for occasional giggles. the climb up crenshaw (to crest) in rolling hills estates (rhe)/rpv is underrated in terms of difficulty. and if you feel like setting a
personal best in terms of descending speed, that tailwind down crenshaw (past silver spur) once into the canyon will probably get you there. just be careful because it’s really easy to hit ridiculous speeds thru there…and then the curves…nearby eastvale and sunnyridge climbs are decent choices for climbs on warmer days/late start with the amount of shade along the route.

the san pedro/rpv climb up through friendship park to the marymount university area is an interesting one. don’t see it becoming a regular/hot climb but worth doing at least once.
I come in from the South Bay side and enjoy grinding up Via del Monte. Silver Spur is a pretty good one from PV Drive North up to Hawthorne, take a breather as you spin across to Crenshaw and then swing right and climb to Crest as you mention above. I just discovered the via Colonel climb starting up at PV Drive West—that is the latest challenge to my manhood, haha.
Likes For raceboy:
Old 12-31-21, 08:11 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

^ that entire via fernandez/via zurita south to via castilla/via zumaya (with via coronel in the mush pot) complex is must-do peevee territory. can do multiple loops/climbs/reverse direction
without getting bored. the legs may object but the senses won't. can always drop down to lunada bay if you need to resupply/grab grub/grog.

via del monte is especially scenic by the la venta inn. usually find myself diverting off vdm either up or down paseo del sol, utilizing via montemar to/from bluff cove (or paseo del mar) to avoid
the narrow road/fast traffic on pvdw or climbing up to the la venta inn via via conejo/somonte (dismount involved).

a hidden, fave climb on the peevee side of the peninsula is via victoria. steep...flattish, then all in again for a decent, shortish spell. pleasantly finishes on a little plateau/cul-du-sac with a decent view.
there was a time, back in the day, where one could do a 80 yard semi-quickie shortcut ascent/descent from/to via victoria/crest rd to save 5 miles but those daze are three decades gone.

oh...almost forgot about the rpv slide vibe. slide area is waay more rideable than ever. curious as to the yearly city budget allocated for the repaving/repiping/etc. guessing it's not among the lesser funded items.
slide zone is more rolling dope than everything except via colinita, the switchbacks and the final stretch up to the domes. arguably more fun than all three combined...esp if you stop off at the preserve on the west side
of the street just south of the main portuguese bend gate and do the short dirt ride down to the tip of the point. looks out over abalone cove to the immediate north and the portuguese beach club area to the
nearby south. absolutely gorgeous and essential. it's why we ride.

don't skip the adjacent wayfarer's chapel visit. even if you're not a fan of architecture or religion, it speaks volumes in multiple environmental mediums/dimensions. frank lloyd wright's son nailed it.

Last edited by diphthong; 01-01-22 at 02:15 AM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 01-01-22, 01:33 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe
ooga-booga definitely knows his way around PV

Found this segment on Strava: https://www.strava.com/segments/11246771?
haha thanx? happy new year Tycho Brahe. hope to ride with you sooner rather than later. miss you effortlessly gliding uphill and away from my wannabe furious and futile spinning.

Last edited by diphthong; 01-01-22 at 01:36 AM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 01-01-22, 01:55 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

in an attempt to keep the thread on topic...will try to hit crownview on sunday. personally find it a boring ascent but dunno if it's because i just suck at ascending, went to the (then) high school
directly directly adjacent, a distinct lack of scenery on the way up or hate descents where i continually ride the brakes the entire way. discounting the good high school era memories, guessing it's all four.
Old 01-02-22, 10:01 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

yah...hit crownview (+ other giggly stuff) this morning. super clear and not exactly the warmest. still nice to hit/drill down on a specific

area on the peninsula. crownview wasn't as hard as remembered (not that i killed it) and almost enjoyed it. took the descent super slow

and hit the high point/grand point/knoll view loop back to the lower part of crownview.

ganado, otoh, remains firmly esconsced in the personal "sux" list. no change in that position...

https://www.strava.com/activities/6462547520

so.. @UniGeezer...what's more difficult....the ascent or descent of crownview? or different muscles and equally as hard?

this morning's ride just reminded me how the flow of linkable streets/routes in peevee is way better than in rancho palos verdes. fewer dead ends/no outlets.

Last edited by diphthong; 01-02-22 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-02-22, 10:22 PM
UniGeezer
Not "2" Tired

so.. @UniGeezer...what's more difficult....the ascent or descent of crownview? or different muscles and equally as hard?
the ride back down is always the reward for going up. I have a disc brake which controls my descent so it's easy verging on boring, haha.
Old 01-02-22, 10:24 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by UniGeezer
the ride back down is always the reward for going up. I have a disc brake which controls my descent so it's easy verging on boring, haha.
cheater! lol!
Old 01-02-22, 10:33 PM
UniGeezer
Not "2" Tired

cheater! lol!
It's still a workout since I have to pedal the same amount of revs going back down and can't coast like you guys, except for the fixies, haha! 😁
Likes For UniGeezer:
Old 01-12-22, 02:01 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

wanted to put calgon soap flakes in the crownview fountain at the base of the road for old times sake but was traveling light coming from out of town.

if i still lived on/near the peninsula, prob woulda packed and dispensed.

ganado still bites but the climb through friendship park was a little easier than remembered. via colinita is still a (short) star.

Last edited by diphthong; 01-12-22 at 02:17 AM.
Old 01-12-22, 02:10 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by joesch
I have seen some of the UniGeezer other climbs and he is amazing !
When I lived in S.Redondo I loved to ride the hills in PV but mostly stayed on the main streets and then combined with a nice beach roll to Venice/SM and back. Love watching the surfing action when the strand is not too busy like during the Winter season.
love love the 90277. was ensconced in the riviera for a spell. still like to roll thru there (and occasionally stop). gotta watch those stop signs on the esplanade and catalina tho.
redondo's finest love to pounce on we cyclists "rolling" those suggestions.
Old 03-24-22, 12:00 PM
robakun

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate CF SL 8.0, Momentum Street, Sterling Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Oh yes... Crownview is nice and steep and long. Nera by Colinita and Casalina is good too. Ganado is a drag since it fees like it will never end. Eastvale is good too. So many nice climbs around PV!