Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

possible fork damage after crash?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-22, 09:51 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts

I hear a slight rattling (I heard it after a recent crash but it stopped for a while) in the fork when I hit one of the legs against my palm or shake it hard (I removed it from the bike). Sounds like something loose in it like a tiny pebble in one of the fork legs (or one of their many stickers they put in their carbon components). I removed the compression nut so the fork is "naked". I'll take the fork to a Specialized dealer to see what they say. Any suggestions if you've dealt with this before? I see no evidence of damage anywhere on the fork even using a coin tapping test.

This bike is a 2007 and I have the original receipt if any of that helps.

The fork is likely fine but I'm not sure I'll be comfortable after the post crash jitters.
Old 09-26-22, 10:04 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
I for one wouldn't trust it. I've seen what a breaking fork can do. First-hand. Completely rearranged my life. $300 for a new one is peanuts compared to what mine cost me.
Old 09-26-22, 11:37 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I for one wouldn't trust it. I've seen what a breaking fork can do. First-hand. Completely rearranged my life. $300 for a new one is peanuts compared to what mine cost me.
Please elaborate
Likes For Symox:
Old 09-27-22, 07:49 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
Please elaborate
I don’t know his story, but it doesn’t take much imagination. If a front fork fails, you’re going to faceplant. Depending on the circumstances, the consequences are likely to range from a little road rash on the low end to broken collarbone, fractured pelvis, traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury, paralysis, and unlikely but possible, death.

While the worst of those are unlikely, very good chance of medical bills exceeding $300.

I don’t mean to be an alarmist, and I currently am riding carbon forks that have been in crashes on 2 different bikes. Nonetheless if had any doubt about a fork’s integrity post crash I would definitely have someone look at it.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 09-27-22, 10:00 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
The OP already said they were going to take the fork to a Specialized dealer to have them look at it. Recommending that they just trash the fork and buy a new one seems a bit extreme to me.

It's possible that the fork is damaged. It's also possible that the rattling noise has nothing to do with damage, and is something entirely unrelated, and may be a completely simple fix.
Old 09-29-22, 05:55 PM
Symox

Ordered a new fork

As the accident was completely my fault, I didn't feel right about trying to get a new or discounted fork from Specialized. Since I'm no longer confident in the fork so I ordered a new one, this time with an aluminum steerer (yeah, it has its own issues, but I can live with it). I looked into ordering the exact same one on ebay but it would be the same issue of not having confidence in an unknown (if I buy a used fork, it could have been in a crash)

The original fork offset was 49mm, the new is 45mm. Any idea what to expect with handling? Will it be more stable possibly?

Thanks for the help
Old 09-29-22, 06:11 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
If the dropout to head tube distance has not changed, less offset means more trail and more stable steering. 4 mm should be noticeable but not a major change. If the fork blade length has changed, now you've raised or lowered the front of the bike, changing the head tube angle, adding another dimension into the mix (and slightly altering bike fit).

Edit: I haven't addressed your inquiry on my fork failure because I really don't want to revisit it again. I hit numbers one and three on merln's list hard. (Well the collarbone was just a collarbone.)

Last edited by 79pmooney; 09-29-22 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-07-22, 11:48 PM
Symox

I'm really liking the new fork. Bike definitely feels more stable on hill descents - nice bonus!

On a side note, I cut up the old fork. It had a lot of manufacturing bladder junk inside. I think some of that might have gotten loose and caused the rattle.

In any case, I'm very impressed with how strong the fork was. It took me a while to cut it up and banging it with a sledge hammer (yeah, I was curious) had little impact. The strength of quality carbon fiber parts really is something!