Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Gravel Bike effective reach vs road?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-22, 05:16 AM
Plainsman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts

For those who ride both, is your gravel bike setup the same or less aggressive than your road bike? Wondering if most have 1cm less effective reach to the hoods, 2cm, etc, or exactly the same as your road setup? Same question for effective height to top of bar. TIA!
Old 07-20-22, 05:33 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Fit is fit. There really shouldn't be much of a difference that is not attributable to comfort.

What you will often see is wider bars. The way to do that with the same arms & torso you use on your other road bikes is to bring the bars closer to the shoulder joint in some fashion.

The wider bars are to afford more leverage over the additional flop caused by generally slacker head tube angles.
Likes For base2:
Old 07-20-22, 08:27 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
If you want to do anything more than flat smooth dirt roads, I find that 20mm higher and 20mm shorter reach make for more confidence inspiring handling in an off road environment. Specifically, singletrack trails and rough downhill segments. If I weren't going so much faster, I'd ask all those people I pass on the rough downhills how that "road fit" is working out for them.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 07-20-22, 08:52 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,084 Times in 1,180 Posts
My gravels h-bar is set about an inch higher than my carbon road. Reach is the same and I actually just put the same bar on my carbon, an FSA Adventure bar in 46cm width. I really like this bar.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 07-20-22, 10:39 AM
Plainsman

Well dsaul, from a re-assurance standpoint, I like that answer. I have a Giant Defy road bike, size L, which is a perfect fit (at max seat post insert, so I'm top of range). My new gravel bike is a Giant Revolt - also size Large. As setup, it is almost exactly 20mm short in each direction as you stated. An XL Revolt would have matched my road reach (which is not relaxed) exactly. I found myself questioning whether I should have gone up a size on the Revolt, but I've heard a little more upright on gravel could help with center of gravity on rough patches. What you describe seems to align exactly with how Giant is sizing their bikes.
Likes For Plainsman:
Old 07-20-22, 02:34 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
My stack and reach numbers are about the same between my main road bike and gravel bike. I do have the bars of my gravel bike up a touch, like 1cm. I thought they were the same setup for a long time though, so its clearly not much of a difference.
Old 07-20-22, 02:36 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
My road bike and gravel bike set-up is the same. Both follow the French Fit philosophy of having a long reach and a moderate drop from the saddle to the handle bars.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Likes For Barrettscv:
Old 07-21-22, 09:25 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
My reach is shorter (and stack is shorter too) than what I've always had before.

Realistically, I want my reach to be such that I am not putting weight on my hands. Stand up straight, then crouch down with your hands in front of you. That is your reach.

With this shorter reach, I find I'm much, much more comfortable on gravel roads. I have a super stiff front end, yet have comfortably gone down some horrid washboard (on 32mm tires) because I just don't have much weight on my arms.
Old 07-21-22, 10:15 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Road bike has slightly longer reach and lower stack and narrower bars with no sweep.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 07-22-22, 08:37 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,480 Times in 870 Posts
I use the same identical fit measurements on all of my drop-bar bikes. Road, gravel, cx. Same saddles and pedals too.
Old 07-22-22, 11:08 AM
Plainsman

Originally Posted by chas58
My reach is shorter (and stack is shorter too) than what I've always had before.

Realistically, I want my reach to be such that I am not putting weight on my hands. Stand up straight, then crouch down with your hands in front of you. That is your reach.

With this shorter reach, I find I'm much, much more comfortable on gravel roads. I have a super stiff front end, yet have comfortably gone down some horrid washboard (on 32mm tires) because I just don't have much weight on my arms.
Thanks. I just remeasured. My reach To the hoods is more like 10mm - 13mm shorter and right at 20mm higher. I don’t consider my road position to be relaxed at all (about 11cm saddle to bar drop), so it sounds like my gravel fit is right around where it should be.
Old 07-22-22, 12:05 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 438 Posts
my 'effective' reach is measured from where my sitzbones are on the saddle to the bar top - 'road' reach = 79.5 cm, gravel bike reach = 74 cm
my 'effective' stack measured from BB horizontal to Top of Bar (NOT top of Headtube) - road stack = 61.5 cm, gravel stack = 69 cm
I'm 177cm Tall (5' 9.5"), v-short torso, 183 cm wingspan (6' )
ride road with significant forward lean and elbow bend
ride Gravel like MTB... don;t really have much 'gravel' road, most everything for gravel around here would also be 'MTB-Lite' to 'Med'...
don;t really 'Drive' anything over 20 min to ride Gravel or MTB.
Ride On Yuri
Old 07-22-22, 12:56 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
If you compare the Trek Domane (endurance road bike) to their Checkpoint gravel bike, the reach on the gravel bike is much longer. I think their reasoning is longer frame, shorter stem and wider bars, as with modern mountain bikes.

I thought this was an industry-wide trend.
Old 07-24-22, 03:48 PM
Plainsman

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
If you compare the Trek Domane (endurance road bike) to their Checkpoint gravel bike, the reach on the gravel bike is much longer. I think their reasoning is longer frame, shorter stem and wider bars, as with modern mountain bikes.

I thought this was an industry-wide trend.
I think you are right. I guess I should have been more specific. My road bike and gravel bike are both the same brand and the same size (L). By the stack and reach charts the gravel bike is longer and taller. I’m thinking more of the effective reach to the hoods. With a shorter stem and gravel bars that reach comes out shorter than my road bike.
Likes For Plainsman:
Old 07-25-22, 07:23 AM
Zizkov

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't know if the trend is industry wide. But my gravel definitely has a less aggressive geometry than my road bikes.
And that's just the way I want it since I use the gravel mainly for bikepackning.
Old 07-26-22, 09:44 PM
Chilepines

Bikes: 1984 homemade 531SL road bike; 1988 Ritchey TimberComp; 1997 Nashbar tandem; 1998 Kona Explosif; Specialized Epic, Scott CR1 Pro; Salsa Beargrease; Curtlo custom Tandem, Curtlo custom S3 steel gravel bike.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
The OP asked about EFFECTIVE reach - which usually means to the bars. Otherwise reach is horizontal distance from BB to top of the head tube - which is what some other posts were referring to. FWIW my new custom steel gravel bike has the same effective reach as my road bike but gets there with a longer frame reach and shorter stem. A big part of the reason I went custom is to get those measures (and others like head tube angle and BB drop) the way I wanted them.
Old 07-27-22, 08:20 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
I would go slightly less overall reach and slightly lower bar drop on a bike dedicated to tarmac. the difference would be pretty marginal when attributing that my gravel grinder will have somewhat wider bars.
Old 07-27-22, 01:49 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
My gravel bike is set up for the flared drops(cowchippers) to be about the same as my hoods position on my road bike. This makes my hoods around 1cm higher and about 15mm shorter compared to my road setup. I use the hoods ~50% of the time on the gravel bike whereas on the road i'm on the hoods 90% of the time