Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Spat at, abused and run off the road

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Spat at, abused and run off the road

Old 08-31-22, 04:00 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
I asked the business owners if they could consider repositioning the light down or away from the road a little & got laughed at.
Instead of asking, strongly suggest, and end with "I just wouldn't want you to get sued if your blinding lights caused an accident "
Old 08-31-22, 04:05 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Instead of asking, strongly suggest, and end with "I just wouldn't want you to get sued if your blinding lights caused an accident "
I understand what you're stating, but I didn't want to come off to them as "running" there business. Just wanted to highlight a safety concern before moving on to the city officials.... those are the folks that will tell someone how to run a business..... LOL

Not long after, one of the apartment's with the lights caught some kids busting out the display light. I really didn't feel bad for the apartment owner. karma.
Old 08-31-22, 04:07 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,826 Posts
Saw something cool driving home from the vet on a two lane 55 MPH state highway. A school bus was about to overtake a cyclist with only a 3 foot shoulder. The bus put on its yellow flashers when approaching and overtaking. I saw the bus would be overtaking just when I would be passing (not overtaking) the bus coming the opposite way and moved to the shoulder, as I always do when I see a vehicle about to over take a rider. The bus moved a bit into my lane since I gave it room. Hats off to the bus driver. Wish there was more monkey see, monkey do.

Old 09-07-22, 07:30 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
And that was just family before he got out of his own driveway.
Old 10-22-22, 10:10 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
I always figured, if anything, the cycling "kit" makes drivers feel more justified because they assume (1) you have no NEED to be on the road and are just riding recreationally, and (2) you are part of the group of cyclists who frequently break the rules and put their own lives at risk. Even my friends and colleagues don't understand why I wear tight, bright lycra while riding 50 miles.
Being a bent rider, I do not use the cycling "kit". I ride in simple t-shirts and rugby shorts. Yet I dont believe that drivers target cyclist with kits. To me that would fall into the area of derangement.
Old 10-22-22, 04:24 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by rydabent
Being a bent rider, I do not use the cycling "kit". I ride in simple t-shirts and rugby shorts. Yet I dont believe that drivers target cyclist with kits. To me that would fall into the area of derangement.
Oh I'm not implying they target anyone. They're not out trying to get us GTA style or anything, but comments I've seen on YT videos suggest they feel more justified in hating the "spandex clad posers" they gripe about, which makes me wonder if that leads to more horn abuse, punishment passes, etc.
Old 10-23-22, 06:49 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3742 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 765 Posts
I use to wear spandex cycling shorts years ago, but I could no longer justify the cost of these materials, they provide zero advantages for the price. I'm now just a dirty white boy on a bike
Old 10-23-22, 08:18 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 869 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
As I look at this example, I notice no intersections or driveways until the well marked green area ahead... that area is supposed to signal to all road users that there is a possible conflict there and for motorists especially to watch as they turn across the BL. (cyclists take note... cars will cross here.)

The problem is that these features are relatively new, and motorists have little if any training on what they mean or how to handle them... and drivers' ed and the driving tests tend to gloss over these things anyway. Thus we have a very poorly trained driving public who feels entitled to the road in their rolling couch and they have little respect for other road users and pedestrians.

We need to train drivers better. (don't worry, AI is here to protect you) Period. PSAs on TV, better testing at the DMV, and stricter enforcement of rules.
now if a Tesla nails somebody in a green zone the future will be dim
Old 10-23-22, 10:34 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by work4bike
...they provide zero advantages for the price...
That's a matter of opinion and personal needs/preference. I would break out in zits and sores if I wore something that didn't wick sweat away and pad my derriere.
Old 10-23-22, 11:34 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3742 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 765 Posts
That's a matter of opinion and personal needs/preference. I would break out in zits and sores if I wore something that didn't wick sweat away and pad my derriere.
I've had my fair share of saddle sores, especially since most of my riding has been in the south (and on the Island of Oahu).

However, it's amazing how the body adapts. When I ditched the spandex, it was a time when we were pinching pennies, with 3 kids and a mortgage, car payments, etc... And my bike was my primary form of transportation -- we were a family of 5 with only one car; we didn't own a second vehicle until 2018, that I got for hauling stuff that couldn't be hauled in a sedan. I now have plenty of money to buy luxuries, but it's just not needed -- I've adapted.

But I'm also a tightwad with money, that's why we now have plenty of spare change and no bills

Old 10-23-22, 12:57 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by work4bike
I've had my fair share of saddle sores, especially since most of my riding has been in the south (and on the Island of Oahu).

However, it's amazing how the body adapts. When I ditched the spandex, it was a time when we were pinching pennies, with 3 kids and a mortgage, car payments, etc... And my bike was my primary form of transportation -- we were a family of 5 with only one car; we didn't own a second vehicle until 2018, that I got for hauling stuff that couldn't be hauled in a sedan. I now have plenty of money to buy luxuries, but it's just not needed -- I've adapted.

But I'm also a tightwad with money, that's why we now have plenty of spare change and no bills
Maybe I'm too impatient, but I have never been able to get my rear end to adapt to some pairs of bibs, let alone no chamois at all. At least not and still do rides longer than about 30 miles. Of course, I start with the cheapest bibs that get good reviews and work my way up from there.

To each their own.
Old 10-23-22, 03:40 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by jack pot
now if a Tesla nails somebody in a green zone the future will be dim
We have very high standards and expectations of AI. So here's an ethical question: If AI-driven vehicles continue to get involved in road fatalities and injuries but at a 10% improvement over human-driven vehicles, should we adopt AI?
Old 10-23-22, 10:51 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
We have very high standards and expectations of AI. So here's an ethical question: If AI-driven vehicles continue to get involved in road fatalities and injuries but at a 10% improvement over human-driven vehicles, should we adopt AI?
I fear an AI that intentionally fails the Turing Test.
Old 10-24-22, 05:51 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts

That's not an ethical question, that's a policy question. Obviously, the answer is yes, but the data establishing the improvement is going to be extremely hard to come by and rightly met with skepticism. After all, it's very hard to sort self-interested sales hype from replicable proof.

We aren't even close to establishing that AI in its current state is going to improve anything, let alone put numbers on that improvement.. Also, you keep posing this as if it's a one-time immediate adoption when it's obvious that there's going to be an extended period where the mix of vehicles on the road will be dominated by human control, and AI is going to have to cope with that.

This is really way off the topic of the thread, btw.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-24-22, 10:52 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
It's fine by me (OP). I specifically intended for it to be in the general forum, because of the content. It was moved here against my wishes (thanks again, Karen!), essentially undermining the whole point of existence, so do with it whatever you wish.

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 10-24-22 at 10:59 PM.
Old 10-25-22, 01:41 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 869 Posts
>>> cost /benefit suggests a YES
Old 11-03-22, 04:39 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by jack pot
>>> cost /benefit suggests a YES

Also probably not possible In the coming decades. Every major company except Tesla has.given up on the self-driving car. Really no reason to discuss how much of a safety advantage would be enough to justify ai adoption when there's nothing to suggest that there will any advantage and plenty of reasons to think it will be much worse in urban settings.

Last edited by livedarklions; 11-03-22 at 04:43 AM.