Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

Don't those short bikes hurt your knees?

Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

Old 10-14-22, 05:47 PM
revetment

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

can you raise the seat up enough to almost straighten your leg on the push stroke? thanks for replies!
Old 10-15-22, 12:05 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Since you haven't actually seen anyone ride a BMX bike in the 30+ years they've been around,; whether it's racing or freestyle, you usually ride standing on the pedals. The seat is primarily for control and stability when you're jumping or performing other aerial maneuvers, ie; "tricks"

You don't really sit down and cruise for miles on a BMX bike, so the seat is something you want to get out of the way if you're riding the bike as intended
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 10-16-22, 06:41 AM
Oldbikenut

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
Since you haven't actually seen anyone ride a BMX bike in the 30+ years they've been around,; whether it's racing or freestyle, you usually ride standing on the pedals. The seat is primarily for control and stability when you're jumping or performing other aerial maneuvers, ie; "tricks"

You don't really sit down and cruise for miles on a BMX bike, so the seat is something you want to get out of the way if you're riding the bike as intended
Being away from BMX for sometime it was sure an adjustment to get used to seeing BMX bikes with the seats so low. In the late 70’s early 80’s we used our bikes as basic transportation and then raced on the weekends. I think things are so much more specialized that these days most are just track or park specific. I still ride 20”, 24” and 26” and I can put my seat at a comfortable height,
Likes For Oldbikenut:
Old 10-16-22, 08:50 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
I think that's why 26ers like the Big Ripper are so hot right now. They're big enough that you can use them as an everyday "grown-up" bike, but still able to throw it around at the park or the pump track. They'll even handle some light MTB trails.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 10-30-22, 09:20 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 129 Posts
I think that's why 26ers like the Big Ripper are so hot right now. They're big enough that you can use them as an everyday "grown-up" bike, but still able to throw it around at the park or the pump track. They'll even handle some light MTB trails.
I have trouble keeping my butt off the tire of my 24" when pumping, I don't see how anyone could ride a 26" BMX as a BMX.
Likes For Viich:
Old 10-31-22, 04:04 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,498 Times in 3,344 Posts
Somewhere I have an old BMX bike that I picked up at an auction in the late 90's. The seatpost is fairly tall and offset back slightly. It is definitely designed for a somewhat taller person, but I still don't think one can get full leg extension with it.
Old 11-02-22, 03:08 PM
McCycle

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
This is the original BMX bike right here, look at the size of the front sprocket, leader of the pack ;]

Flower Power ;]
Likes For McCycle:
Old 11-08-22, 06:40 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by McCycle
This is the original BMX bike right here, look at the size of the front sprocket, leader of the pack ;]

Flower Power ;]
The slik chik! love slik chiks
Old 11-08-22, 07:35 AM
McCycle

I think that one's a Fair Lady, but only a ghost image of the logo, so a Ghost Lady Stingray.
Likes For McCycle:
Old 11-25-22, 09:13 AM
Schweinhund

Originally Posted by McCycle
I think that one's a Fair Lady, but only a ghost image of the logo, so a Ghost Lady Stingray.
s-7's or s-2's? that makes the difference. The Fair Lady had s-7 wheels front and back, the Slick Chik has s-7 front and s-2 rear.
Likes For Schweinhund:
Old 11-25-22, 09:51 AM
McCycle

S7's front and rear, like this Stingray Jr. that came with the Fair Lady.

Likes For McCycle:
Old 11-27-22, 07:21 AM
Schweinhund

Never really considered it until now, but all my mountain bikes, the ones I ride regularly, are set up with the seat in the low position. BMX style. I went from 20" BMX to a mountain bike (about 1980) and kept the seating position. I just find sitting low on the bike to be more comfortable. I do pedal for miles like that, and stand going up hills.
I find the legs extended position to be uncomfortable. I'm 60 with no knee problems.
Old 12-01-22, 10:38 AM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by revetment
can you raise the seat up enough to almost straighten your leg on the push stroke? thanks for replies!
Reviving this but layback post are taller and more comfortable for older bikes. There are some strong remakes you can go with. They old ones (GT etc) are expensive but bend easy if too high.

For new school, Cult has a long (300mm) layback pivotal post. Not very far back but helps. As for really low. Yes everything is technical now. I built up a couple new school and you have to work to find cool parts or they all look pretty similar since useless shapes and items have been refined away. At least colors are back in. For a while most everything was black only.

Basically, if low, just pedal standing and sit coasting if doing a group ride and not trying to do tricks. The seat leaned back (nose up) is actually more comfortable when really low and coasting on it. Have to find balance or what works and where you start slipping down. Too flat just hurts being that low with all the weight on.
Old 10-24-23, 01:07 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 23 Posts
Seat post extender

https://fulltiltbike.com/products/mc...-seat-extender