Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Auto Commuting costs soar to $750 per month...

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Auto Commuting costs soar to $750 per month...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-17, 11:03 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
I thought he made it very clear that he does cycle commute ("when cycling I use a wide 7 mile route").
Even out of context, it does not sound like he cycle commutes very much. It would be interesting if he stated just how often he cycle commutes vs driving given how he trumpets all the advantages he gets from driving.
Old 12-10-17, 11:08 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by Hoopdriver
Irrelevant. You opined that a cyclist could do two miles in 6 minutes and I said, no, not on my route because of traffic lights.
Some folks are filled with positives and others only with negatives.

Why didn't you post this in the Commuting sub-forum?
Because they already know the information and do not need the additional "advocacy".
Old 12-11-17, 04:45 AM
khyricat

Bikes: hopefully a Sun Traditional Trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
It looks like you might want to take great care that all that driving doesn't put you into your own clinic with some sedentary lifestyle disease. You kind of implied that when traffic cooperates you exercise. I hope you do find a way to get your daily hour (nurses study) or more, otherwise all you may get for all that work, other than the reward of helping people who didn't take care of themselves, is to be too disabled to work because you behaved like too many of your patients, albeit with the best of intentions.

A friend of mine just retired from being a retinal surgeon. He worked in two clinics, but the one ten miles from home was his main site. He always rode his bike to work. The other clinic was sixty-five miles away. He rode there, did his surgeon thing all day, and then a colleague gave him and his bike a ride home. Sometimes one has to be creative to squeeze adequate exercise into a modern career. I doubt if his plan would work for many, but sometimes just accepting that there might be some outside-the-box way to do it can cause one to see an opportunity.
a) thats why I want to start bike commuting to the closer clinic, b) I run on weekends and used to do it during the week, but time isn't there with me back in school right now except sometimes if the school load is low on my days at the local clinic, and c) I walk 10,000 plus steps a day at work, and some of that is power walks on purpose and the clinic further from home has stairs I climb many times a day as well as this being a 3 story house and I go out of my way to stair climb here as well.. d) I have a short but effective home exercise routine as well... I used to go to the gym, but that became very difficult during that year with the funky hours and since I have found other ways.

I refuse to become sedentary and thus want to get back on a bike so I can do needed errands and get the workout at the same time... since Vertigo rules out 2 wheels I am going with 3.
Old 12-11-17, 04:49 AM
khyricat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks like you might want to take great care that all that driving doesn't put you into your own clinic with some sedentary lifestyle disease.

One additional note- I work hard to leave on time and get home without that issue.. there was a year when I couldn't- when I had a management role, but I stepped down for my own health and that of my marriage and getting stuck like that happens MAYBE once a month now, not even weekly... I can cope with that.. there is time for exercise in my routine.. of course grad school puts a bit of a kink in that... DH laughed the other night- I was writing a grant proposal and on breaks in writing was doing planks in my home office when he walked upstairs to see if I was going to be fixing dinner or he was.
Old 12-11-17, 03:52 PM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Even out of context, it does not sound like he cycle commutes very much. It would be interesting if he stated just how often he cycle commutes vs driving given how he trumpets all the advantages he gets from driving.
You are so perceptive. You probably looked at my commuting mileage log: https://www.bikeforums.net/20046749-post1150.html

And since you seem to be interested: In my 45 year working life, at all jobs at a variety of locations, I have driven to work probably 2% of the time. Longest commute was 22 miles one way, shortest is the one I do now - 7 miles.

And please read my original response again - I was not trumpeting the advantages I get from driving, I was stating simply that the economic advantage for me to commute by bike is nowhere near what the article in your post would suggest.
Old 12-11-17, 07:06 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

You are so perceptive. You probably looked at my commuting mileage log: https://www.bikeforums.net/20046749-post1150.html

And since you seem to be interested: In my 45 year working life, at all jobs at a variety of locations, I have driven to work probably 2% of the time. Longest commute was 22 miles one way, shortest is the one I do now - 7 miles.

And please read my original response again - I was not trumpeting the advantages I get from driving, I was stating simply that the economic advantage for me to commute by bike is nowhere near what the article in your post would suggest.
So, why did you not also talk about your savings during your 22 mile one way commute? I know I saved a lot of money during the time I did a 54 mile round trip cycle commute in the heavily congested Washington DC area.

Last edited by CB HI; 12-11-17 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-13-17, 12:55 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by khyricat
a) thats why I want to start bike commuting to the closer clinic, b) I run on weekends and used to do it during the week, but time isn't there with me back in school right now except sometimes if the school load is low on my days at the local clinic, and c) I walk 10,000 plus steps a day at work, and some of that is power walks on purpose and the clinic further from home has stairs I climb many times a day as well as this being a 3 story house and I go out of my way to stair climb here as well.. d) I have a short but effective home exercise routine as well... I used to go to the gym, but that became very difficult during that year with the funky hours and since I have found other ways.

I refuse to become sedentary and thus want to get back on a bike so I can do needed errands and get the workout at the same time... since Vertigo rules out 2 wheels I am going with 3.
I love that comment. It absolutely makes my week. I've watched too many good friends who once rode with my wife and I just go to pot one day at a time over the years (decades, actually).

Good luck with it all, especially that vertigo. A good friend spent a couple of decades nearly bedridden with that. She had one of the nerves to her inner ear killed off by an antibiotic a couple of years ago and is now semi-recovered, but still would qualify as disabled. It's amazing how much damage one fluke infection can do.
Old 12-13-17, 04:05 AM
khyricat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love that comment. It absolutely makes my week. I've watched too many good friends who once rode with my wife and I just go to pot one day at a time over the years (decades, actually).

Good luck with it all, especially that vertigo. A good friend spent a couple of decades nearly bedridden with that. She had one of the nerves to her inner ear killed off by an antibiotic a couple of years ago and is now semi-recovered, but still would qualify as disabled. It's amazing how much damage one fluke infection can do.
Thanks, when it flares I can't move much, but I still do despite the discomfort as much as I can, when it's under control (most of the time), I try to do a LOT.. there was a 3 year period where I had to work and do, but it was flaring constantly, and I learned to do a lot, in the last few years we found meds that work, so I tend to only have flares when congested or exposed to an allergen... or I miss a dose of meds somehow... I can function bouncing into walls at work as long as I don't go out to see patients much and those are the days I don't.. but they are rare instead of almost daily now.. and even then I tried to do as much as possible with my head stable because thats ME.
Old 12-13-17, 11:55 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Originally Posted by CB HI
So, why did you not also talk about your savings during your 22 mile one way commute? I know I saved a lot of money during the time I did a 54 mile round trip cycle commute in the heavily congested Washington DC area.
Well, that particular commute was back in 1979-1980 and thus a bit tough to figure out savings. I'm sure they were significant. At 70 cents a gallon for gas, the savings added up quickly. My motivation back then was twofold: First, the commute was training for my short-lived excursion into amateur racing. Second, we only had 1 car then and by commuting on bike, my wife had transportation.

I have to say that, for me, saving money has never been a strong motivating factor for commuting by bicycle. All in all, I just find it more satisfying than driving. On those rare occasions when I have to drive in commuting traffic I ask myself, "How can people do this every day?"
Old 12-13-17, 12:18 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting article that precipitated some personal musings:

I ride twice as many miles cycling than what I put on my truck, yet I am still saddled with insurance and taxes. Get rid of the truck and my savings go way up, but I can't put a half yard of gravel in my panniers and the boat is hard to tow with my bike so I pay the price. If I were to commute using my truck instead of my bike, it would cost me annually an additional $60-$70 in fuel, $150 for parking, and maybe $100 for maintenance. This amounts to a savings of $25 per month, which is handily used up (and more) by all the stuff I have to buy in order to commute by bike.

In addition if I started to drive to work, I would save about 45 - 60 minutes per day and that would allow me to get more home chores done so I could ride more on the weekends. This could easily result in my cycling mileage actually increasing! I would lose the intangibles though: the smugness of doing something that impresses coworkers, the opportunity to dress funny, and of course the annual lame appreciation breakfast my employer does for cycle commuters as compensation for claiming my carbon offsets as their own.

Kinda convincing myself to start driving again. Someone talk me out of it!
At 3 bucks a gallon $60 gets you about 400 miles on your truck, assuming 20 mpg. At 250 work days per year that works out to 1.6 miles per day, round trip. Your work is less than a mile from home? How did you come up with $60-$70 figure for fuel?

Am I missing something?
Old 12-15-17, 03:58 AM
Saale

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To be fair the article is talking about $750 cost per month and household, not per car. I recall the average household size in the US to be 3 people and the number of cars to be around 800 per 1000 people, so it's an average of 2.4 cars per household or just over $300 per month and car, a far more realistic number even if you include depreciation (which affects different models of different age differently, not everyone is driving a 2018 Tahoe).
Old 12-15-17, 04:07 PM
InOmaha

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Saale
To be fair the article is talking about $750 cost per month and household, not per car. I recall the average household size in the US to be 3 people and the number of cars to be around 800 per 1000 people, so it's an average of 2.4 cars per household or just over $300 per month and car, a far more realistic number even if you include depreciation (which affects different models of different age differently, not everyone is driving a 2018 Tahoe).

Yeah I thought the number seemed odd, so I looked into the supporting documentation and realized that the cost per month was down 4.8% to $750. Soaring down I suppose. Counting up the costs of my fleet of 4, we don't come close to 1/2 the $750/month total. The main cost is insurance for 2 teens since I bought them cars that needed some minor repairs for the low end of book value. I do all my own maintenance, we buy used cars, and drive them for over 10 years. None of us put on a significant amount of mileage, so I've only purchased a couple of used cars in my lifetime.

We don't have to pay to park anywhere like in the big cities, so that lowers the costs. However, my road bike cost about as much as one of my daughter's cars so I don't bother to insure it for anything more than liability. I'll just pay cash for another if needed.
Old 12-15-17, 06:57 PM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Originally Posted by Ninety5rpm
At 3 bucks a gallon $60 gets you about 400 miles on your truck, assuming 20 mpg. At 250 work days per year that works out to 1.6 miles per day, round trip. Your work is less than a mile from home? How did you come up with $60-$70 figure for fuel?

Am I missing something?
Nope, just need to tweak your numbers. I work about 200, but no more than 220 days per year. 3 miles round trip so at most 660 miles annually. I get a bit over 22 mpg in my Tacoma and gas (today's price) is 2.24/gallon. Calculate again.
Old 12-15-17, 07:10 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nope, just need to tweak your numbers. I work about 200, but no more than 220 days per year. 3 miles round trip so at most 660 miles annually. I get a bit over 22 mpg in my Tacoma and gas (today's price) is 2.24/gallon. Calculate again.
3 miles ROUND TRIP??? Wow!

Old 12-16-17, 04:42 AM
khyricat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dang miss the uber short commute days- when we bought this house I worked a mile and a half away... and then later one of my other IT jobs (after that one moved out of state) was 1/2 a mile away.. I bike commuted regularly to both of those when the hours allowed- 24/7 operations so my shifts varied at times, the closer one was across a MAJOR road, the other wasn't.)

The bad part of changing fields and not moving...
Old 12-16-17, 10:17 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Originally Posted by Ninety5rpm
3 miles ROUND TRIP??? Wow!

Originally Posted by khyricat
Dang miss the uber short commute days-
Didn't really plan it that way. When we first moved to this city we rented a place about 6 miles from where I worked, while looking for a house somewhere within a 25 mile radius. We never found the right house and so convinced our landlords to sell the rental house to us. Then I changed jobs to a closer employer. Then, with the same employer, I was compelled to switch office locations 3 times, every time was closer to my house. The nearness is only an advantage for driving though. To avoid crazy drivers maneuvering in above average traffic, my cycle commute is much longer, varying from 10+ miles to the 3 mile short route when I'm running late. I let the weather and whim define what route I choose.
Old 12-16-17, 10:28 AM
khyricat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Didn't really plan it that way. When we first moved to this city we rented a place about 6 miles from where I worked, while looking for a house somewhere within a 25 mile radius. We never found the right house and so convinced our landlords to sell the rental house to us. Then I changed jobs to a closer employer. Then, with the same employer, I was compelled to switch office locations 3 times, every time was closer to my house. The nearness is only an advantage for driving though. To avoid crazy drivers maneuvering in above average traffic, my cycle commute is much longer, varying from 10+ miles to the 3 mile short route when I'm running late. I let the weather and whim define what route I choose.
heh- my first shorter commute was luck of the draw- I had the job when we bought the house, but it wasn't location that caused us to buy.. we were looking in 4 towns in the area (schools) and happened to find the right house close to my office, not DH's (he's still there), then after I was laid off when I finally found another job, I interviewed for a position in a town about 15 miles away and was hired but asked if I was willing to wait 2 weeks and start at their new offices instead (they had multiple openings), the new office was less than a mile from home, of course I said yes- 2 more weeks of unemployment vs a longer commute.. not even a concern, and I stayed with that job for 7 years before I changed fields and then can't find anything close to home.