Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

CoMotion Speedster conversion

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-21, 01:34 PM
Doggus
half man - half sheep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We have an ~'06 CoMotion Speedster (it was replaced under warranty a couple years later) that I want to convert to a wider tubeless tire. Not sure if this is even feasible. The front is rim brake so there is no moving to a 650b wheel to gain more clearance unless I somehow convert that to a disc brake setup. Tried calling CoMotion a few times. Line is always busy, dumps into a VM that is always full and hangs up. Long shot posting here to see if anyone has converted a speedster for a more gravely riding setup.
Old 06-23-21, 03:19 PM
pipeliner

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 40 Posts
You could just buy a fork with a flat mount for a brake caliper. Get one rated for a tandem. You’ll probably end up buying a thru-axle fork, wheel, mech caliper (to work with your mech brifter) and a rotor.
Old 06-23-21, 06:44 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 274 Posts
We have an ~'06 CoMotion Speedster (it was replaced under warranty a couple years later) that I want to convert to a wider tubeless tire. Not sure if this is even feasible. The front is rim brake so there is no moving to a 650b wheel to gain more clearance unless I somehow convert that to a disc brake setup. Tried calling CoMotion a few times. Line is always busy, dumps into a VM that is always full and hangs up. Long shot posting here to see if anyone has converted a speedster for a more gravely riding setup.
Co-Motion will likely build a new fork. I would read this thread: (Brakes/Rotors for Tandem on Mountain Gravel Roads) The weak point of disk brakes is long steep grades. Tandems generate allot more heat than a single bike when braking. I have a Co-Motion Pangea Rohloff. I am heavy and had to go to an ebike rotor so my front disk brake wouldn't squall. I haven't ever used tubeless. I read about tubeless and decided to stick with what I have.
Old 06-24-21, 10:17 AM
Doggus
half man - half sheep

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
Co-Motion will likely build a new fork. I would read this thread: (Brakes/Rotors for Tandem on Mountain Gravel Roads) The weak point of disk brakes is long steep grades. Tandems generate allot more heat than a single bike when braking. I have a Co-Motion Pangea Rohloff. I am heavy and had to go to an ebike rotor so my front disk brake wouldn't squall. I haven't ever used tubeless. I read about tubeless and decided to stick with what I have.
I read the thread. Here in N. Texas we don't have those long downhills that will warp rotors.

I went tubeless on my main road bike two years ago. I will never go back to tubed tires. The ride quality is night and day, tubed tires absolutely suck now that I've ridden tubeless. Every now and then I have to put on a tubed tire, like a few weeks ago when I lost my shrader/presta adapter and wanted to get a ride in. Not only did the bike start jar'ing the crap out of me on the gravel washboard, but the damn thing flatted after two miles on the gravel. The feel of tubeless reminds me of my foray into tubular tires only without all the hassle of gluing tires to rims.
Old 06-24-21, 04:57 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 274 Posts
Here in California we have long hills and mountains. I don't have to worry about warping rotors on my Tandem because it has hydraulic rim brakes and a drum brake.

I ride my bikes mainly on the road and not the dirt. I am quite comfortable with tubes. Tubeless introduces some other problems that most people don't talk about. Can you run tubless without that liquid in the tire, like they do on cars.
Old 06-27-21, 05:48 PM
vmizera

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 1991 Trek 950 2003 Co-Motion Primera

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Did this to our 2003 Primera. Involved new fork and changing over to 650B/ISO 584 wheels.
Able to run 45mm wide tires now. Running Sturmey Archer XL drum brake in front, disc
in rear. Fork will fit v-brakes, but the drum works fine.
Old 07-12-21, 11:17 AM
marcdanziger

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hydraulic rim brakes??

...tell us more, please?
Old 07-17-21, 10:04 PM
Chilepines

Bikes: 1984 homemade 531SL road bike; 1988 Ritchey TimberComp; 1997 Nashbar tandem; 1998 Kona Explosif; Specialized Epic, Scott CR1 Pro; Salsa Beargrease; Curtlo custom Tandem, Curtlo custom S3 steel gravel bike.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
My conversion went the other direction (26 in up to 650B) but most of the issues are the same. I got a new fork with disc mounts. It has IS and you'll want either IS or post-mount. Flat mount brakes only take up to 160 mm rotors. Assuming you'll also want 650B in the rear adding disc mounts to a non-disc frame is a bit tricky. I got a $6 adapter from Amazon, (Star-Art 20/31.8mm Adjustable MTB Bike Disc Brake Bracket), made some mods to it to get to fit my frame, and it works. Some people have suggested you need thru axles with discs, but not really. Neither front or rear on this tandem are thru axle, but getting a 15 mm thru for the fork makes sense. CoLab Cross fork will do all that you are asking for.
Old 07-22-21, 02:13 PM
Philly Tandem

Bikes: Too many! Santana tandems and triplet; MTBs; touring bikes

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by marcdanziger
Hydraulic rim brakes??

...tell us more, please?
They've been around for a long time. Look up Magura brakes: https://www.magura.com/en/components/bike/rim-brakes/

They seem to be more popular in Europe than in the USA for some reason...