Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Still searching for wheels

Old 08-15-21, 04:10 PM
Doggus
half man - half sheep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Still searching for wheels

Posted a while back. Looking for tubeless wheels for my '06 Specialized Tricross. I live rural and the closest bike shop never has anything available, says they can't get anything in. They're actually selling the shop. I took mstateglfr 's advice and went to prowheelbuilder. Filled out their form. Nothing in over a month or two. Finally called them a few times. Nothing, never can get hold of anyone. I don't know enough to 'build' my own wheels and submit an order. So what it's come down to is compiling a list of wheels and when I see one come up ebay/FB Marketplace/CL I'm jumping on them. Or I can order online too, not against that. Just don't know what to get.

Constraints: Rim brakes. 130 rear hub spacing. 9-speed. Since my last post, I have learned I want wider internal rim diameter (19ID?). I want to run as wide a tire as I can get on this bike. A rough measure of the rear chain stays is 2" so that translates to 50mm. I'd probably try to run a 40mm to be safe. Tubeless - I'm starting to think it needs to be a UST setup. My road bike is constantly seeping air and I know it's the rim tape. I hate rim tape. <$700. The is probably worth half that so cheaper is better.

One good thing about my bike shop: I asked about the Mavic Kysriums (I found those are 19ID). He said they're great wheels until they are not. Prone to cracking at the spokes. So those are possibly out. Anyone know any wheels fit the above conditions? Or any suggestions? I can't believe I'm still looking for wheels.

Last edited by Doggus; 08-15-21 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-15-21, 06:58 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
Might want to take a look at Velomine. Looks like their inventory has been restocked in a number of areas. Also Bicycle Wheel Warehouse. I've gotten wheelsets from both and they've held up well.
Old 08-15-21, 08:18 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,391 Times in 4,148 Posts
https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...9ib6r8fdebdl36

Even something narrow like a 17.5mm internal rim width is absolutely plenty fine for a gravel tire. The trend is wider, but it is not at all some requirement in order to safely run 35-45mm tires.

Sucks that pwb hasn't responded. You could just order some wheels and it goes into their build queue, but I get not wanting to support them if they won't reply.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 08-15-21 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-16-21, 02:15 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
Also Bicycle Wheel Warehouse.
This. And click their coupon link at the bottom of the page for discounts. I bought a set of wheels in their clearance section with Pure tubular rims, DT Comp spokes and Ultegra 6700 hubs for only $170. Well built and I'm probably going to buy another set for spares.
Old 08-16-21, 04:44 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
I picked up two sets of these:

https://bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/Ro...set-1680g.html

a couple years ago (105 hubs, 2x butted spokes, brass nipples)...screaming deal between a sale price and 30% coupon. Price has gone up since. Both sets have seen lots of miles. My GF has toured on them. Nice wheels. Both sets are still running true.
Old 08-16-21, 09:36 AM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 428 Posts
Not trying to hijack the thread, but how fast is the turn around at Bicycle Wheel Warehouse? I'm searching for some lightweight QR disc wheels and they seem to be the only place that builds them at a reasonable price. I'm tempted to order from them, but I sent an email last week asking a question and I haven't received a response. Also I'm a bit hesitant buying QR wheels with most newer frames moving to TA. I was thinking of buying a TA front wheel and using a 12mm TA to 9mm QR adapter and then order a rear QR wheel. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 08-16-21, 09:58 AM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Doggus
Rim brakes. 130 rear hub spacing. 9-speed.
I had a set like that built by a LBS for me this year. They told me it would be a long wait.

It turned out to be three months - ordered in early April and picked up in early July. Hubs turned out to be what that took the longest, according to them. I ended up with a Deore front hub and a 105 rear hub.

Good luck!
Old 08-16-21, 10:15 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by Doggus
Posted a while back. Looking for tubeless wheels for my '06 Specialized Tricross. I live rural and the closest bike shop never has anything available, says they can't get anything in. They're actually selling the shop. I took mstateglfr 's advice and went to prowheelbuilder. Filled out their form. Nothing in over a month or two. Finally called them a few times. Nothing, never can get hold of anyone. I don't know enough to 'build' my own wheels and submit an order. So what it's come down to is compiling a list of wheels and when I see one come up ebay/FB Marketplace/CL I'm jumping on them. Or I can order online too, not against that. Just don't know what to get.

Constraints: Rim brakes. 130 rear hub spacing. 9-speed. Since my last post, I have learned I want wider internal rim diameter (19ID?). I want to run as wide a tire as I can get on this bike. A rough measure of the rear chain stays is 2" so that translates to 50mm. I'd probably try to run a 40mm to be safe. Tubeless - I'm starting to think it needs to be a UST setup. My road bike is constantly seeping air and I know it's the rim tape. I hate rim tape. <$700. The is probably worth half that so cheaper is better.

One good thing about my bike shop: I asked about the Mavic Kysriums (I found those are 19ID). He said they're great wheels until they are not. Prone to cracking at the spokes. So those are possibly out. Anyone know any wheels fit the above conditions? Or any suggestions? I can't believe I'm still looking for wheels.
The pickier you are, the longer you'll be waiting for stuff in this climate.

If it were my bike and the rims were cracked/worn and I wanted to get it rolling again, here's what I'd do. I'd look up the specs for the old rims, particularly the ERD. If I could find a tubeless rim with the same (+/- 1mm) ERD, then the wheelbuilder would not need to source new hubs and spokes. They could just transfer those parts to the new rims, and we could be "rolling" a lot sooner.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-27-21, 05:00 PM
Doggus
half man - half sheep

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sing it: on the road again lallaalaaalaa

Bought Velomine's Open Pro UST rims. They recommended the Maxxis Rambers. My only gripe was they sent 35mm tubeless valve stems that I can barely get an air chuck on. Pisses me off when I have then turn around and go buy more crap. They should know a 35mm is too short once you put the little valve stem screw on it to hold the valve stem in place. Damn they are heavy but don't really care. I have my rocket ship for go fast

Last edited by Doggus; 08-27-21 at 05:04 PM.