Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Global Transient Amnesia after morning bike ride

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Old 05-03-22, 10:22 AM
HM70

Bikes: Bertoni SLX (Daccordi)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

So after my 43 mile morning solo ride Saturday I relaxed, slept a little and then watched TV. When my wife came home that afternoon I was a little confused because I couldn't remember the ride. I only knew that that the route and time were on my Garmin app. Her friend said memory loss is an indication of stroke so off to Kaiser ER we went.
No waiting around there when a 72 year old comes in with those symptoms. They did a CT scan, followed by MRI and then Ultrasound of my carotid artery and admitted me for overnight observation. Not having any family history of heart trouble and cholesterol levels that make my doctor green with envy I wasn't surprised that they found nothing wrong with me. The diagnosis by elimination "GTA" global Transient Amnesia caused by physical exertion. They had a handout on the condition which reassuredly stated a reoccurrence is unlikely.
I suspect causal factors were poor hydration and a two week layoff during family vacation. None the less that ride remains a total blank and I can't wait to repeat it this Saturday with a lot of selfies enroute!
Wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.
Old 05-04-22, 07:32 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by HM70
So after my 43 mile morning solo ride Saturday I relaxed, slept a little and then watched TV. When my wife came home that afternoon I was a little confused because I couldn't remember the ride. I only knew that that the route and time were on my Garmin app. Her friend said memory loss is an indication of stroke so off to Kaiser ER we went.
No waiting around there when a 72 year old comes in with those symptoms. They did a CT scan, followed by MRI and then Ultrasound of my carotid artery and admitted me for overnight observation. Not having any family history of heart trouble and cholesterol levels that make my doctor green with envy I wasn't surprised that they found nothing wrong with me. The diagnosis by elimination "GTA" global Transient Amnesia caused by physical exertion. They had a handout on the condition which reassuredly stated a reoccurrence is unlikely.
I suspect causal factors were poor hydration and a two week layoff during family vacation. None the less that ride remains a total blank and I can't wait to repeat it this Saturday with a lot of selfies enroute!
Wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.
Had a similar experience during a ride several years ago. We were on our annual UK visit and riding our tandem up to a beauty spot, about. 6-mile climb, intending to stop at a pub for lunch down the other side of the hill. I rode straight past the pub! My wife asked why I hadn’t stopped and I couldn’t remember having decided to stop. We turned around and sat on a wall and I couldn’t remember anything that had happened that morning. Things came back to me after about 45 minutes, we had our lunch and carried on. Apparently I had during the time kept repeating myself about certain car in the parking lot!
once home, I Googled the symptoms and diagnosed a TGA, as I hadn’no TIA symptoms. On our return to the USA shortly after, my cardiologist insisted it was a TIA. I still disagree. Apparently generally occurs only once in a lifetime in men after extreme exertion or sexual intercourse!
Likes For Artmo:
Old 05-04-22, 08:05 PM
HM70

Bikes: Bertoni SLX (Daccordi)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Once in a lifetime

Thanks for sharing your experience. Life is strange and filled with surprises.
My wife has certainly been relieved and amused by the Diagnosis. Keeps playing Talking Heads... "Well how did I get here... This is not my beautiful wife" and asking me if I remember the amazing sex. Ha, ha. Oh well, once in a lifetime.
​​​​​
Likes For HM70: