Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for a bike frame painter for Peugeot PSV10

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 11-25-22, 07:45 PM
Lotus907efi

Bikes: 2012 Litespeed C1R w/ 10spd DI2, 2005 Cannondale Six13, 1998 GT Forte titanium, 1989 Cannondale SR600 w/Shimano 105 group, Nishiki Pinnacle MTB, Vitus 979 w/Campag Veloce, Peugeot PSV10

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Some may recall my experience buying a barn find Peugeot PSV10 ( https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...packaging.html ) and ( https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-980-bike.html )

If I decide to get the frame repainted, can anyone here recommend a good person or company that has experience painting bike frames?

I know https://mrcreations.co.uk is supposed to be really good based on recommendations from Andy of the Bikeit UK youtube channel but I am in NE Ohio and the cost of shipping the frame to and from the UK might be too much for the project.
Old 11-25-22, 09:08 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1504 Post(s)
Liked 3,444 Times in 1,127 Posts
Franklin Frames in Newark Ohio comes highly recommended by many on this forum.
Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 11-25-22, 09:47 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4494 Post(s)
Liked 6,300 Times in 3,633 Posts
Originally Posted by Lotus907efi
Some may recall my experience buying a barn find Peugeot PSV10 ( https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...packaging.html ) and ( https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-980-bike.html )

If I decide to get the frame repainted, can anyone here recommend a good person or company that has experience painting bike frames?

I know https://mrcreations.co.uk is supposed to be really good based on recommendations from Andy of the Bikeit UK youtube channel but I am in NE Ohio and the cost of shipping the frame to and from the UK might be too much for the project.
As Mr. Harris said,

Jack at Franklin frames is one of the best to deal with I have ever heard about, you cannot go wrong as far as I have seen.

I would get on his schedule forth with ifin I was you.
Old 11-25-22, 10:43 PM
Lotus907efi

Bikes: 2012 Litespeed C1R w/ 10spd DI2, 2005 Cannondale Six13, 1998 GT Forte titanium, 1989 Cannondale SR600 w/Shimano 105 group, Nishiki Pinnacle MTB, Vitus 979 w/Campag Veloce, Peugeot PSV10

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Thanks for the guidance. Any idea what the approximate price is for refinishing/repainting a bike frame?
Old 11-25-22, 10:48 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,030 Posts
I believe Kabuki12 had a mid-70s Colnago painted by Franklin Frames in the past year or so. If i am remembering that correctly (and he will correct mine if I'm mistaken), he has had nothing but very high praise for Franklin.

According to Google Maps, Newark OH is a few miles east of Columbus (and just north of I-70), so they are not too horribly far from you. You could drop it off and pick it up in person, which is a plus.

I am a big fan of Ed Litton in Richmond CA, but he is a lot further away from you (a mere 2500 miles, give or take) than he is from me (maybe 10 miles).

And of course, the gold standard is Joe Bell in SoCal, but he is even further away from you and will without doubt be the most expensive option of the three.

Any one of these three will do your Peugeot proud.
Old 11-25-22, 11:34 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4494 Post(s)
Liked 6,300 Times in 3,633 Posts
Originally Posted by Lotus907efi
Thanks for the guidance. Any idea what the approximate price is for refinishing/repainting a bike frame?
Huge swing on this, Franklin can be one of the far more reasonable options, especially considering the quality. Jeffery Bock is near Ames Iowa and is also very good.

Again, call Jack at Franklin and have a conversation, sooner rather than later.
Old 11-26-22, 05:38 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2912 Post(s)
Liked 2,836 Times in 1,460 Posts
Is there actual contact information for Franklin Franes? A street address?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-27-22, 10:18 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Is there actual contact information for Franklin Franes? A street address?
There's contact information on their FaceBook page, which you should be reachable even if you don't have a FaceBook account:
https://www.facebook.com/franklinframe/

If you can't get there, let me know and I'll screenshot it and post it back here.
Likes For mhespenheide:
Old 11-28-22, 06:18 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2912 Post(s)
Liked 2,836 Times in 1,460 Posts
Originally Posted by mhespenheide
There's contact information on their FaceBook page, which you should be reachable even if you don't have a FaceBook account:
https://www.facebook.com/franklinframe/

If you can't get there, let me know and I'll screenshot it and post it back here.
Thank You. I may try and stop by on way home Wednesday.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk