Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-22, 08:08 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3193 Post(s)
Liked 1,842 Times in 1,162 Posts
Yesterday I put my 79 Trek 930 back together, in order to try out a set of bars I've had for ten years or so and never mounted. It needed only wheels and brake levers/cables. The bars were a fail, but I may go ahead and put another set on it and ride it awhile.
Old 11-27-22, 11:11 PM
jim dandy

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 149 Posts
The Kestrel Project

Got the frame on the Kestrel cleaned up. So, time to start reassembling …. Under close supervision.
JD Dallas
Likes For jim dandy:
Old 11-28-22, 07:09 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
I needed a humble nut for a Campagnolo SL pedal that was also missing a cap. @jethin generously send me the pedal shown on the left.
GransSportBentc on Flickr

After a lot of clean up with disassembly and assembly, the pedals are done.
NRFrejus1 on Flickr

Since I have not taken a pedal apart like this, it was a great learning experience, including what is not readily available and what is, you pay a dear price for (dust caps, still needed). I decided to see if I could use my HF bearing pullers to remove the cup in the GS pedal.
GransSport2 on Flickr

It is a different cup from what is used in the SL pedal.

Next was to see if I could straighten out that nasty dent. I failed to take pics of the process while in process but here are the pics. You can figure it out.
GransSportVice on Flickr

GransSportViceClamp4 on Flickr

GransSportViceClamp1 on Flickr

End result.
GransSport1 on Flickr

I can hear it now, "Its aluminum! It's not supposed to behave like steel!"

It works with handle bars too.
P1030009 on Flickr

Don't try this at home and don't use the parts! Too many stress risers to contribute to physical mutilation.
Old 11-28-22, 01:23 PM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 253 Posts
Got some new (old) stuff delivered today, so now I'm sitting with a nice mug of coffee and tinkering.
Today I'm focusing on the Cyclone. For now I'm only after some bolts and jockey wheels for an older, 1975 one I overhauled recently, but I'm going to rebuild this one at some point, so I thought I might as well take it apart and prepare it for cleaning. Something for a nice, relaxing Monday evening. Though I will still probably end up covered in grease. The plan is to replace Huret Success Titane on my 1979 Moto (yesterday replaced the shifters with Suntour Power Shifters). Not sure if the swap is going to be permanent, but I do like the look of Cyclone and I'm keen to try it. Looks like jockey wheels on this one below ctually have sealed bearings, so they must be a later replacement, but they are not very worn out and spin nicely.

Likes For VintageSteelEU:
Old 11-28-22, 04:43 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 6,482 Times in 3,206 Posts
Was riding my '72 Torpado the other day, coasting along all nice like and then found myself spinning out of gear. What the? Upshifted and still spinning out. Oh, the freewheel pawls aren't locking. I stopped, back-pedaled, and it worked again. Hurried home.

So I needed to disassemble its IRD freewheel and understand what was going on. There was a lot of grime around the pawls where one side just wasn't springing up at all. I flushed it out with WD-40 and also made sure the spring, which is basically just a circular piece of metal, was in the right position. It's not a full, connected circle, so it has to be set in just the perfect position, else it will prevent the pawls from springing up.

It was a little difficult to get the lock ring off, but I did manage to open a similar Sunrace freewheel to see how its pawls are oriented. The innerds of these two freewheels are very similar in construction, like they're made by the same factory. Apart from the vastly different cogset, the IRD is a little bit nicer in material, like with the shiny lower race.

With the pawls being the same between the two freewheels, I decided to use the newer Sunrace paws in the nicer looking IRD. I probably didn't have to do this, because I think most of the problem was the IRD's spring just wasn't in the right position. Anyway, both freewheels are now working great. <knock wood>

This is the only IRD freewheel I have in service right now. They're very nice looking, but it's the third IRD that (halfway) failed on me. Not fun.

@pastorbobnlnh would be so proud. I didn't replace any grease around the spring/pawls. Hope that's correct.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 11-28-22, 05:13 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
I needed a humble nut for a Campagnolo SL pedal that was also missing a cap. @jethin generously send me the pedal shown on the left.
GransSportBentc on Flickr

After a lot of clean up with disassembly and assembly, the pedals are done.
NRFrejus1 on Flickr

Since I have not taken a pedal apart like this, it was a great learning experience, including what is not readily available and what is, you pay a dear price for (dust caps, still needed). I decided to see if I could use my HF bearing pullers to remove the cup in the GS pedal.
GransSport2 on Flickr

It is a different cup from what is used in the SL pedal.

Next was to see if I could straighten out that nasty dent. I failed to take pics of the process while in process but here are the pics. You can figure it out.
GransSportVice on Flickr

GransSportViceClamp4 on Flickr

GransSportViceClamp1 on Flickr

End result.
GransSport1 on Flickr

I can hear it now, "Its aluminum! It's not supposed to behave like steel!"

It works with handle bars too.
P1030009 on Flickr

Don't try this at home and don't use the parts! Too many stress risers to contribute to physical mutilation.
Somewhere, Rube is smiling.
Old 12-02-22, 02:55 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,832 Times in 829 Posts
My primary wrench-twisting for the past several days has been to fix up a bunch of bikes that will be donated by our church as part of the Christmas season help to those in need. The bikes were contributed by the Recycle Your Bicycle program from bikes available after all the foster kids' needs were filled. I just provide the repair work (and a lot of scrubbing) to get them ready for more adventures. Mostly singlespeed coaster brake bikes, but some with derailleur drivetrains - and more than a few of them with dry chains and finicky hub cones. Also, two of the bikes initially had utterly gunked-up Rapidfire shifters, which I was able to pull and clean in the ultrasonic cleaner, and reinstalled they happily click easily from gear to gear. And the Schwinn cruiser in back had a DOA shifter for the Nexus 7 hub, for which I was able to order a replacement after several patient weeks of waiting as it made its way across the ocean.

The gaggle of finished bikes so far:

I'll see if I can get one or two more done before they have to be dropped off in a couple of hours...
Old 12-03-22, 09:03 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 2,939 Times in 980 Posts
I finally carved out enough time to finish the build on the Ted Williams Free Spirit frame I bought from @nlerner. There was some trial and error, especially with the drivetrain. Except for the new Tekro long reach brakes and VO levers everything is from my parts, the C&V Box o' Crap or other list members sales. It was too wet to do a shakedown ride today so I hope to do that tomorrow and on Monday I'll bring it back to Manhattan for my son.

The saddle and bars will come down for my son, I'm much taller.

The Microshift is a great derailleur. Neal, if you spread the frame, thanks for saving me the trouble. Dropouts needed a touch of aligning but otherwise it's perfect.

The wheelset included a dynamo hub and front/rear lights.

The lights are very similar to B&M, but with plastic bodies.

Tiagra front, and I've held this Maxy crankset for 10 years. I pulled it off a 24" wheeled Junior Raleigh Grand Prix that my old teacher included when he gave me his PX-10. It shifts ok but I'm a little concerned about how it will fare with the narrow 10-speed chain, the gaps are big and the chain was dropping between rings a bit. I think it looks great though, and the compact range is perfect.

Cockpit view.

Bringing up the rear.

I provided the revised BOC label redesign so I'm tickled to have a build that I can display it on!

Likes For ascherer:
Old 12-05-22, 02:50 PM
fvernon

Bikes: BMC Road V2; '17 Marin Pine Mountain 2; '91 Marinoni Special TSX; '89 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp; '98 Salsa La Cruz; '79 Centurion Pro Tour; '77 Romic custom sport-tour; '77 Centurion Semi-Pro; '23 Kona Sutra LTD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 79 Posts

Starting up a new wheelset:
FH: Dura Ace 7400, low flange, 28H, Salsa Ti skewer
RH: Ultegra 6500, low flange, 32H, Ultegra skewer
Rims: H+Son TB14, 28/32
Spokes: Wheelsmith DB14
Nipples: Brass for the rear; Alloy for the front

The hubs are both in excellent condition, and just needed a nice cleaning/repacking. I'm really enjoying the quality of the H+Son rims, even if they're a little heavy. I expect these to be long-lasting, light touring/long distance style wheels for mixed surfaces. The full build should come in at about 1,900g

Edit: without QR skewers, the wheelset comes in at 1,862g; 9g lighter than an Ultegra 6700/Mavic Open Pro wheelset I also threw on the stand to tighten up.

Last edited by fvernon; 12-06-22 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-05-22, 02:56 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Originally Posted by ascherer
I finally carved out enough time to finish the build on the Ted Williams Free Spirit frame I bought from @nlerner. There was some trial and error, especially with the drivetrain. Except for the new Tekro long reach brakes and VO levers everything is from my parts, the C&V Box o' Crap or other list members sales. It was too wet to do a shakedown ride today so I hope to do that tomorrow and on Monday I'll bring it back to Manhattan for my son.

The saddle and bars will come down for my son, I'm much taller.

The Microshift is a great derailleur. Neal, if you spread the frame, thanks for saving me the trouble. Dropouts needed a touch of aligning but otherwise it's perfect.

The wheelset included a dynamo hub and front/rear lights.

The lights are very similar to B&M, but with plastic bodies.

Tiagra front, and I've held this Maxy crankset for 10 years. I pulled it off a 24" wheeled Junior Raleigh Grand Prix that my old teacher included when he gave me his PX-10. It shifts ok but I'm a little concerned about how it will fare with the narrow 10-speed chain, the gaps are big and the chain was dropping between rings a bit. I think it looks great though, and the compact range is perfect.

Cockpit view.

Bringing up the rear.

I provided the revised BOC label redesign so I'm tickled to have a build that I can display it on!
The only thing "missing" is a large 52 tooth chainring with the teeth filed off for a chainguard!
Old 12-05-22, 03:19 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 2,939 Times in 980 Posts
Originally Posted by fender1
The only thing "missing" is a large 52 tooth chainring with the teeth filed off for a chainguard!
Accepting candidates! If I'd had one I surely would have included it.

Likes For ascherer:
Old 12-07-22, 05:03 PM
uncleivan 

Bikes: '92 MX Leader, 84 Colnago Mexico, 85 Recherche, 86 Panasonic ATB Pro, 88 Roberts, 80 moser... ect

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 67 Posts
Almost there... started with this.. 1972 Harry Hall

Yes, I took a lot of pictures, but I'll skip some.
I took the bicycle apart, cleaned, greased, ect... It was in very good shape under the dust.

Now waiting for toe straps to finish.
The bike is 120mm rear spacing. I don't want to do anything to the original wheels other than save them. I put a set of clinchers on to ride.

I think the campy 1060 vertical ends are pretty cool.
Old 12-07-22, 06:20 PM
zookster 

Bikes: 1993 Diamond Back Sorrento, 1965 Schwinn Racer 3-speed, 1987 Schwinn High Sierra, 1990 Specialized Sirrus, 2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0, 2013 Giant Seek 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 199 Posts
Took my High Sierra down for an overhaul. Frame is now cleaned/polished, reassembly will start soon. Everything is in good shape component-wise, new cables/housings will go on though.

Likes For zookster:
Old 12-07-22, 07:24 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

I was disappointed to find the rim labels backwards on the $10 wheelset I got off Craig's the other day. I've seen a lot of old wheels like this. It bugs me.

After removing the kinda ugly plastic rim tape on the rear, I found something worse, the ds spokes are way too long. No wonder he used plastic to protect the tube.

So what to do? I removed a ds spoke and compared it to some in my stash. I found just the right number (18) that were a more appropriate length, about 4mm shorter, and decided to rebuild the wheel with the rim label in the proper position. What the hell. It's winter.

And at least I don't have to worry about polishing the Miche hub. It's in great shape.

The thing is, now I've gotta rebuild the front too so the labels match. Because I don't have to switch out any front spokes, I think I'll try to tape the front spokes together so I can just loosen the nipples, flip the rim around, and put everything back together. Might save a little bit of time anyway.

Last edited by SurferRosa; 12-07-22 at 07:29 PM.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 12-07-22, 11:49 PM
Wright Bros

Bikes: '92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 2, '92 Trek 930 & '98 920

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 5 Posts
Just finished a overhaul on a Centurion Le Mans 12 for a guy at work.

Likes For Wright Bros:
Old 12-08-22, 01:30 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Got the rear all the way laced up just to find all my leading spokes are too long on both sides now?? Wait. Was this thing 4-cross? This thing was 4-cross! Who builds a 36h wheel 4-cross??!!

Guess I'm leaving it that way. Finally fixed. Whew. That was a first. Now I know to always check the pattern. Seemed weird the ds spokes were well over 300mm. With a $10 wheelset, there's always a catch...
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 12-08-22, 05:12 AM
steine13

Bikes: See my albums. I find that listing them here messes up searching.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 143 Posts
Wait. Was this thing 4-cross? This thing was 4-cross! Who builds a 36h wheel 4-cross??!!
This was discussed yesterday in this this thread:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...r-1-700-a.html

Post #6
Originally Posted by dmark
Yup- Schwinn stuck with it on high end Chicago bikes. My 68 Super Sport and 77 Superior are high flange 4x. The 71 Suburban and 72 Continental are high flange 3x.
You need to keep up

cheers -m
Likes For steine13:
Old 12-08-22, 04:44 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Working on a couple of unusual* conveyances this afternoon on behalf of Recycle Your Bicycle - a Sbyke skateboardish scooter with a 16" front wheel, and a Mobo Tri-ton 3-wheeler with a direct drive 20" front wheel and two 16" wheels. The Mobo is fun once you get used to it, although the 20" 'gear' does limit one's top speed on level ground.

*Doctor: "You have Tom Jones disease."
Patient: "Is that rare?"
Doctor: "It's not unusual."
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 12-08-22, 05:46 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Who builds a 36h wheel 4-cross??!!
I've built quite a few 36-spoke wheels with a 4-cross pattern earlier in my wheelbuilding days, although all of them have been either 27" or 700C.
Old 12-08-22, 06:54 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Originally Posted by RCMoeur
I've built quite a few 36-spoke wheels with a 4-cross pattern earlier in my wheelbuilding days.
I sorta understand the reasoning if the spoke count is 40 or more, but ... 36??
Old 12-08-22, 07:05 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
The thing is, now I've gotta rebuild the front too so the labels match.
Do you mean the hub labels? I'd leave it as it is - you can justify it each way; either it can be read from the front of the bike or from the rider's POV when you're sprinting in the drops.

I thought the spokes looked close to the neighbouring heads when you first posted them up, but I was too shy to say anything.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 12-08-22, 07:24 PM
VintageSteelEU

I think I'm addicted to derailleurs these days. On one Moto I've replaced Huret Success Titane with Suntour Cyclone, which of course needed cleaning (and still needs some fine tuning) and since I couldn't find Suntour Cyclone front derailleur (MK 1), I got Suntour Blue Line which will go on the bicycle soon.
For my other Moto, which currently has Shimano 600EX SIS RD and FD, I got Compe V for the front and Suntour VX-S for the back. Compe V is NOS, so won't require much work. The VX-S was of course filthy when I got it, so I had to disassemble it, clean it properly, give it a bit of light polishing, load it with grease, oil the pivot bolts and put the whole thing together. Luckily, the pulley wheels are in acceptable shape. Busings a bit mangled, as usual in old derailleurs, but I've seen worse. Overall, a very nice derailleur. I'm quite impressed how sturdy this thing feels after well over 40 years! OK, at 215g it's heftier than Cyclone, but I think I actually prefer it over Cyclone when it comes to the way it looks as well. VX-S has a sort of Art-Deco feel to it. Of course, all the nice grooves I like are going to attract grime like nobody's business, but I guess it's not too difficult to clean with a small brush if need be. Love the cage, it seems I will be able to get the chain on without the need for opening the quick link.
Tomorrow I think I'm going find a moment to put it on the bicycle and see whether I can get it working with indexed Shimano shifters.

Nice and clean

Perhaps one day I will find time to give it mirror polish, but for now this should suffice
Old 12-08-22, 07:38 PM
VintageSteelEU

Originally Posted by P!N20
Do you mean the hub labels? I'd leave it as it is - you can justify it each way; either it can be read from the front of the bike or from the rider's POV when you're sprinting in the drops.

I thought the spokes looked close to the neighbouring heads when you first posted them up, but I was too shy to say anything.
I'm with a SurferRosa on this one. Rim labels facing non-drive side just look weird. I've rebuilt wheels which didn't even have labels, but had barely visible numbers stamped on the wrong side
As for hub labels / markings, that might vary. I have a wheelset with Ultegra Tricolor hubs where hub labels are facing NDS for some inexplicable reason. Seriously considering getting new decals and getting this right
Old 12-08-22, 07:45 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageSteelEU
Rim labels facing non-drive side just look weird.
Yeah I just thought given the front wheel is symmetrical it can just be rotated, but then the hub label would be upside down...or the right way up...depending on your preference.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 12-08-22, 07:53 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

I sorta understand the reasoning if the spoke count is 40 or more, but ... 36??
(stands, gestures with open arms to the far horizon, soundtrack cues in)

"In those days of legend, it was the way of our people. But such wisdom has vanished from these lands."
Likes For RCMoeur:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.