Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling Tips just fired a bunch of quality staff.

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cycling Tips just fired a bunch of quality staff.

Old 11-20-22, 07:58 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I don't agree with your comments in post 5 though. Yes they are accurate, no I don't think they are how this scenario should play out. It seems like you commented without being aware of who at CT was let go, who owns CT, or the general background of how things have been fumbled by Outside. Maybe that's just me hoping you weren't aware. If you were aware, then we just disagree about who should be held accountable for poor decisions at the corporate level.
If you actually read my posts, you may note that I did not state anything about CT; each of my comments was general. You read meaning into them which was not actually there. Your bad.

II recognize the value of economists and appreciate the analytical work, even though you think I don't understand economics.
It's clear that you don't understand economics, but that's okay. As I have told many D students over the years, this isn't the most important thing in the world for most people.
Old 11-20-22, 08:00 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Fun fact: Caley Fretz used to post here (primarily in the 33) before he got paid to write (deservedly).
Likes For caloso:
Old 11-20-22, 09:27 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
The math that allows digital signatures and protecting your credit card everytime you buy anything online is pretty cool. (Modular exponentiation is the lions share of it.) Too bad people figured out how to use it to scam people with things like NFTs too.
Old 11-20-22, 10:59 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Yep, that's the one!

I like that quote because Econ is about (among other things) assessing trade-offs -- every benefit has a cost, every policy solution has a downside. Our job is to present policymakers with potential solutions and the costs of each one -- monetary and otherwise. It's not really our job to reach overarching conclusions or tell those policymakers what to do. That's why the view expressed by jon c. a few posts back is pretty much irrelevant.
Charming in its quaint simplicity. Keep up the good work.
Old 11-20-22, 11:27 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
I don’t see how this move makes any economic sense. I was drawn to it by the podcasts and the quality of the writing, and they’ve ditched some of the best reasons to follow the site. All I’m reading since is people who are canceling their subscriptions.
Old 11-21-22, 08:13 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
If you actually read my posts, you may note that I did not state anything about CT; each of my comments was general. You read meaning into them which was not actually there. Your bad.
It's clear that you don't understand economics, but that's okay. As I have told many D students over the years, this isn't the most important thing in the world for most people.
Yes, my bad. I already apologized and recognized your post in the thread wasnt about the thread. I mistook it for commentary about the topic since it was one of the first responses in the thread. I was not the only one to misunderstand and thought you were posting about the topic. Maybe put 'In general...' before a comment that is generalized and not about the specific issue. Or perhaps write 'This isnt commentary on the issue here, but...' so simpletons know your comments arent about the issue? Just trying to figure out a way to make your life easier so you dont have to put people in their place so frequently moving forward.
This place never fails.
Old 11-29-22, 09:33 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I notice that Abby Mickey (who is also great) hosted the Nov 22 weekly CT podcast which is still titled "The Weekly Show with Caley Fretz" and has a picture of him on the title screen. I'm assuming CT will re-brand/re-title that podcast at some point. I don't understand why they didn't just pause it for a few weeks while they do that, and wonder how long that will continue.

Also Caley Fretz added a new "The Placeholder" podcast yesterday with Dave Rome and Dane Cash (Dane was laid off from CT back in May) - they talk about bike racing, nerd out about tools for a few minutes, etc. It's good, and feels basically the CT podcast under a different title. They suggest at the end that they'll probably make a website.

I don't really know how the business end of this stuff works, but it seems like Caley likely has a lot of connections and could probably wrangle some sponsors and figure out a way to row his own canoe for a while here.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 11-29-22, 10:08 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by msu2001la
I notice that Abby Mickey (who is also great) hosted the Nov 22 weekly CT podcast which is still titled "The Weekly Show with Caley Fretz" and has a picture of him on the title screen. I'm assuming CT will re-brand/re-title that podcast at some point. I don't understand why they didn't just pause it for a few weeks while they do that, and wonder how long that will continue.

Also Caley Fretz added a new "The Placeholder" podcast yesterday with Dave Rome and Dane Cash (Dane was laid off from CT back in May) - they talk about bike racing, nerd out about tools for a few minutes, etc. It's good, and feels basically the CT podcast under a different title. They suggest at the end that they'll probably make a website.

I don't really know how the business end of this stuff works, but it seems like Caley likely has a lot of connections and could probably wrangle some sponsors and figure out a way to row his own canoe for a while here.
Dave, Caley, James, and Mechanic Zach need to get back together for my entertainment. The Nerd Alert episodes where the 4 of them rip on industry trends and shake their fists at clouds are always my favorite. I have a lot of favorites, given how frequently they would complain.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-29-22, 10:37 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Just curious, do they make e-canoes?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-29-22, 12:11 PM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I can't believe I typed "row his own canoe" when it's clearly more correct to say "paddle his own canoe". Missed opportunity there...
Old 11-30-22, 09:17 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
Shocking, and not. They had exceptional content and a unique perspective that convinced me to join and support.
Exactly. And since the lay-offs, not so much (hardly any) decent content. I turned off my auto-renew. Unfortunately I had an annual subscriptions so that's some money wasted.

Caley and Dave Rome have started a new podcast which looks like it will be really good.
Old 12-01-22, 02:30 PM
msu2001la

Mass layoffs hitting Wahoo and Strava today as well.
Old 12-01-22, 02:35 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,594 Times in 1,020 Posts
Sounds like ZORG... Meowww...
Old 12-02-22, 10:40 AM
wheelreason

Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 569 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
No, but they do make kayaks that you "pedal", oh the irony.
Old 12-02-22, 11:03 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 1,122 Times in 482 Posts
Four more writers who weren't laid off last month submitted resignations today.
Old 12-02-22, 11:08 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Yeah so Abby, Shoddy, James, and Ronan are left. Any other content producers?
Old 12-05-22, 12:26 PM
ZeCanon
Writin' stuff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Fun fact: Caley Fretz used to post here (primarily in the 33) before he got paid to write (deservedly).
Hey the old login still works
Old 12-05-22, 04:54 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by ZeCanon
Hey the old login still works
Does that mean you've hit rock bottom?
Old 12-08-22, 12:00 AM
zastolj

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Dave, Caley, James, and Mechanic Zach need to get back together for my entertainment. The Nerd Alert episodes where the 4 of them rip on industry trends and shake their fists at clouds are always my favorite. I have a lot of favorites, given how frequently they would complain.
Am I the only one thinking this is the reason why they wanted a change? I have not seen this discussed much. I really think all the fist shaking was scaring the bike manufacturers away. Just look at the latest field test on gravel bikes, they were actually giving some really heavy critique on some of the bikes. This is not typical to the traditional bicycle media where even a horrible product gets 4 stars out of 5.
Likes For zastolj:
Old 12-08-22, 06:42 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by zastolj
Am I the only one thinking this is the reason why they wanted a change? I have not seen this discussed much. I really think all the fist shaking was scaring the bike manufacturers away. Just look at the latest field test on gravel bikes, they were actually giving some really heavy critique on some of the bikes. This is not typical to the traditional bicycle media where even a horrible product gets 4 stars out of 5.
You do have a point here. I have seldom if ever seen a bike, wheelset or group set get less than a 4 star rating.
Old 12-08-22, 09:52 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Abby Mickey, too.
Old 12-11-22, 12:53 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
Abby Mickey, too.
Is Abby gone? Nothing on the site.
Old 12-11-22, 01:36 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Hmmm. I can no longer find the message where I saw that. She has submitted her resignation effective at the end of this month. There are still 2 (or 3?) Freewheelin' podcasts to broadcast before then.
Old 12-21-22, 11:12 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Honestly, they were the only bike tech podcasters I trusted. Every time they had a strong opinion, it backed up what I have seen in my experience as well as what my mechanic friends have told me. Bike journalism is filled with shills, they were not that. In particular, I liked Zach's curmudgeonly but usually correct takes.

It sounds like Caley, Dave and Rupe are primed to launch something new based on the last episode of the "placeholder" podcast. They should hook up with Ben Delaney, another Boulder-based bike journalist who's probably looking for a job and who knows a lot about bikes and racing.

Last edited by Hiro11; 12-21-22 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-22-22, 09:47 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Ronan just resigned.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.