Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Question about Leg Shaving

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Question about Leg Shaving

Old 07-17-21, 06:16 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
For all the people who have critiqued my responses .... I have read your posts and absorbed them. I don't want to get back into my habit of trying to pick out every tiny point and debate it until we are all sick of it .... Thanks for your responses.
Old 07-17-21, 06:47 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,099 Posts
When I saw this thread I just knew it was going to be a good one to sit down with a cup of coffee and relax. I was not disappointed.

It had it all... Real data, perceived data, anecdotal data, serious answers, comical answers, arguments and even a shirtless hybrid racing challenge reference.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 07-17-21, 06:41 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4831 Post(s)
Liked 7,821 Times in 3,705 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I don't want to get back into my habit of trying to pick out every tiny point and debate it until we are all sick of it
I thought that was the primary purpose of discussion forums.
Old 07-17-21, 07:46 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I've decided that everyone who is arguing back and forth about leg hair and road rash is assuming that every man has leg hair like they do. I've never shaved my legs, but I have so little leg hair that I can't imagine it making the slightest difference either for aerodynamics or road rash. Now one of you ape hair guys, whole different story.
I don't think my leg hair would make much difference for aerodynamics or road rash, but I'm sure it wouldn't be comfortable pulling bandage tape off. But that's the chance I'm willing to take since I haven't wrecked a bike since I was around 10 years old.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 07-17-21, 08:27 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Leg shaving is for women.... Men who shave their legs aren't real men.
Old 07-17-21, 08:30 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4831 Post(s)
Liked 7,821 Times in 3,705 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
You forgot to use the sarcasm font.
Old 07-18-21, 05:15 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts

Well, maybe if they're using a straight razor and their hand slips...

​​​​​​So, according to you, when a man shaves his legs, does he become an adult Pinocchio?

Go ahead, explain what you mean, what kind of men shave their legs? What's a "not real man"?
Old 07-18-21, 05:16 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Eric F
You forgot to use the sarcasm font.

Real men don't use sarcasm.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-18-21, 05:26 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Actually, leg shaving Wasn't for women until the early 20th century when razor manufacturers realized they could more than double sales if they convinced women that body hair was unsightly. Fashion changes---women's clothing which exposed parts of the body hitherto kept covered---was a part of the ploy.

Underarm hair went first, as sleeveless dresses became socially acceptable (Gillette marketed its first "Women's" razor in 1915) but as hemlines rose after WWI, leg-shaving became de rigueur.

I assume leg-shaving wasn't suggested for men for two reasons---One, men were already buying razors and two, for men with very hairy legs, a razor alone often isn't enough, which could have cause a backlash which would have been bad for business.

Hair removal has a much longer history, differing in different regions and cultures, but the idea that hirsuteness was indicative of brutality is pretty common. Hairy men (or women) are animals, is one school of thought. The more modern idea is that hairy men are like animals---powerful, aggressive, predatory, dangerous---because so few people actually do anything dangerous on a daily basis, we seek reinforcement that we are "Real" men by advertising how hairy we are (yes, it really is as pathetic as it sounds.)

Because shaving gear used to be expensive and hard to manufacture, only the very wealthy (or noble) could afford to worry about such stuff---so being smooth (like being fat, in some cultures) was seen as a sign of success. So ..... is it low testosterone, high wealth, good breeding, good aero? Why do people do what they do?

People are really weird. if it wasn't for the fact that some of them make bikes and bike parts, I'd be in favor of extermination.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 07-18-21, 05:27 AM
Maelochs

^ That ought to be good for another couple pages.
Old 07-18-21, 06:06 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Role model for everyone?

Old 07-18-21, 08:49 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
Not sure what that means. I'm an avid road cyclist and chose to not shave. My opinion is just as valid as yours.
If you're a harry beast you might want to reconsider your opinion.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 07-18-21, 08:53 AM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
If you're a harry beast you might want to reconsider your opinion.
I am pretty sure there are plenty of sasquatches out there riding unshaved with no problems.
Old 07-18-21, 11:21 AM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
I only shave my legs because some people are triggered by it.
Likes For growlerdinky:
Old 07-18-21, 12:51 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
shaving of non-facial non-genital parts reminds me of two things in life - competitive swimming/water polo and two years of surgeries, procedures, tests, and various cardiac mishaps.

unfortunately the latter is far more recent than the former, and i just can't imagine going to the hassle to either save a minute on a ride, look a little better (debatable!), or marginally decrease the discomfort of road rash.

if i was racing anyone, or i thought the difference would be something i could *feel* (not just measure) i'd do it for sure.
Old 07-18-21, 02:19 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
Good thread, reminded me it is time to get rid of excess hair.
Old 07-18-21, 05:46 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
Applauding the restraint of examples of haired & hairless extremities.

Maybe the interwebs are becoming more ... dignified ... off the mainstream money/celebrity makers.

Cheers!
Old 07-18-21, 05:53 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Good thread, reminded me it is time to get rid of excess hair.
Didn't I see you on a dollar bill?
Old 07-18-21, 06:07 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Actually, leg shaving Wasn't for women until the early 20th century when razor manufacturers realized they could more than double sales if they convinced women that body hair was unsightly. Fashion changes---women's clothing which exposed parts of the body hitherto kept covered---was a part of the ploy.

Underarm hair went first, as sleeveless dresses became socially acceptable (Gillette marketed its first "Women's" razor in 1915) but as hemlines rose after WWI, leg-shaving became de rigueur.

I assume leg-shaving wasn't suggested for men for two reasons---One, men were already buying razors and two, for men with very hairy legs, a razor alone often isn't enough, which could have cause a backlash which would have been bad for business.

Hair removal has a much longer history, differing in different regions and cultures, but the idea that hirsuteness was indicative of brutality is pretty common. Hairy men (or women) are animals, is one school of thought. The more modern idea is that hairy men are like animals---powerful, aggressive, predatory, dangerous---because so few people actually do anything dangerous on a daily basis, we seek reinforcement that we are "Real" men by advertising how hairy we are (yes, it really is as pathetic as it sounds.)

Because shaving gear used to be expensive and hard to manufacture, only the very wealthy (or noble) could afford to worry about such stuff---so being smooth (like being fat, in some cultures) was seen as a sign of success. So ..... is it low testosterone, high wealth, good breeding, good aero? Why do people do what they do?

People are really weird. if it wasn't for the fact that some of them make bikes and bike parts, I'd be in favor of extermination.

For the sake of the species, I'm going to express disapproval of your last sentence.

Your point about this being more of a fashion thing than any kind of long-standing tradition is well-taken. The other thing people think is so ingrained in gender that is relatively new is the association of pink with girls and blue with boys. These colors flipped, pastel blue was commonly associated with girls up into the 1940s, while pink was associated with boys because the red shade was seen as more assertive.

Really, which body parts should be shaven is going to vary from decade to decade. I don't see a lot of guys with mustaches these days. It's always funny to see how many there are in 1970s movies.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-18-21, 06:27 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Leg shaving begun with women about 100 years ago. It was done for aesthetic and beauty reasons...Fast forward to 2021 and now men are shaving their legs for the same reason that women have been shaving their legs for the last 100 years.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 07-18-21, 06:44 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Leg shaving begun with women about 100 years ago. It was done for aesthetic and beauty reasons...Fast forward to 2021 and now men are shaving their legs for the same reason that women have been shaving their legs for the last 100 years.
So? You seem to be having a gender panic attack over this.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-18-21, 06:57 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,436 Times in 1,737 Posts
The more modern idea is that hairy men are like animals---powerful, aggressive, predatory, dangerous---because so few people actually do anything dangerous on a daily basis, we seek reinforcement that we are "Real" men by advertising how hairy we are (yes, it really is as pathetic as it sounds.)
In other animals, scientists would consider a hairy male body a "visual signal" that elicits instinctive responses in the viewer.

Since excess body hair is a marker for testosterone, and testosterone produces strength and aggression, the hairy body is a signal for potential challengers to keep away. A female sees a hairy male body as a sign of fitness and ability to protect her offspring, so she would desire him sexually.

Old 07-18-21, 07:17 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by terrymorse
In other animals, scientists would consider a hairy male body a "visual signal" that elicits instinctive responses in the viewer.

Since excess body hair is a marker for testosterone, and testosterone produces strength and aggression, the hairy body is a signal for potential challengers to keep away. A female sees a hairy male body as a sign of fitness and ability to protect her offspring, so she would desire him sexually.

This stuff doesn't translate well for humans, however. If it did, men would never shave their faces.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-18-21, 07:25 PM
wolfchild
Banned

This stuff doesn't translate well for humans, however. If it did, men would never shave their faces.
Some including myself prefer to keep their facial hair.
Old 07-18-21, 07:28 PM
wolfchild
Banned

So? You seem to be having a gender panic attack over this.
Not panicking at all....I only see two genders, male and female and they are different.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.