Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shimano Di2 Maintenance?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Shimano Di2 Maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-23, 01:46 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Why not just plug it into a wall outlet?
It's kind of odd that the charger doesn't just run off of 120/240 line voltage.
Old 01-17-23, 02:42 PM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Got my first Di2 bike yesterday. This thread was very helpful. I just skimmed it though... So, clean the chain with a low voltage degreaser?
Likes For Zaskar:
Old 01-17-23, 04:43 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Did you happen to notice that this was a discussion about what type of 120V to USB adapter to use?
So this is what you said:

And yet, the Di2 batteries were damaged, Shimano did warranty them and the Shimano US tech reps gave the specific advice I've relayed to all of you:
DON'T CHARGE YOUR DI2 WITH A COMPUTER. USE A HIGH QUALITY BRICK LIKE ONE FROM AN IPHONE.
Is that what you meant by "brick"? If you meant 120V to USB adaptor, well duh, yeah. Why the eff would you use a pc or laptop?
Old 01-17-23, 07:09 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 998 Posts

Is that what you meant by "brick"? If you meant 120V to USB adaptor, well duh, yeah. Why the eff would you use a pc or laptop?
If you actually had Di2 and understood the components, it would be worth explaining this all to you. But this isn't Wikipedia.

"Why can't you turn the nipples to true your disc wheel?"
Old 01-17-23, 07:18 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

If you actually had Di2 and understood the components, it would be worth explaining this all to you. But this isn't Wikipedia.

"Why can't you turn the nipples to true your disc wheel?"
Huh? I have built both disc and rim brake wheels. Why wouldn't you turn the nipples to true a disc wheel?
Old 01-17-23, 07:34 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,181 Times in 2,224 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Wax your chain and charge your battery from time-to-time.

but what happens if he doesn’t have the time to wax a chain? I mean you have to clean it, put the wax in a pot, melt it, throw the chain in let it reach the 176 degrees or what ever the standard is now, wiggle it pull it out let it dry, break it in and then put it on the bike.

That was exhausting to type.

If only there was a thread that explained in fully on the best way to wax a chain.
Old 01-17-23, 07:57 PM
Kontact 

Huh? I have built both disc and rim brake wheels. Why wouldn't you turn the nipples to true a disc wheel?
Bwahahahahahaahahaha!

I adore you.

Old 01-17-23, 09:01 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bwahahahahahaahahaha!

I adore you.

You sure do like mind f**king, don't you.
Old 01-17-23, 09:33 PM
Kontact 

You sure do like mind f**king, don't you.
Nope. You just keep saying stuff that is funny because you don't know the terminology being discussed.

Which I'd probably ignore normally if you weren't so delightful otherwise.
Old 01-17-23, 10:22 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2229 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,783 Posts
The Di2 internal battery charger that looks like this:

is also the interface that Shimano's Di2 programming software needs to communicate with the battery and Di2 components like shifters and derailleurs.

So it isn't unreasonable to charge the battery in the same way. However, not all PCs have USB ports capable of delivering a stable current, especially laptops, and this (or an inferior 120V AC to 5.5 V DC wall wart) is a common cause of incomplete or failed charging.
Old 01-17-23, 11:06 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by bampilot06
If only there was a thread that explained in fully on the best way to wax a chain.
Somebody started one, but the universe ran out of electrons before the thread was finished.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-18-23, 06:55 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by CrowSeph
Interesting point!. I have a spare power adapter (model: HW-050450E00) from an old huawei phone with those stats:
Input voltage (INPUT): 100V-240V 50 / 60HZ
Output voltage (OUTPUT): 5V (Volt) 2A (Ampere) or 4.5V (Volt) 5A (Ampere) or 5V (Volt) 4.5A (Ampere)

can be okay with charging my di2?
Why not? The AC-DC converter's specs is the maximum power (P = V x I) it can supply from the grid. It is the device (shimano battery charger in this case) that decides what kind of power it needs.

I am also on the ''bad electrical engineering'' side.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 01-18-23, 07:09 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by woodway
If you need to charge your bike, cannot find a brick but your laptop is sitting there, what are you going to do? It's got this USB port that connects beautifully to your charger. You start charging and then go to bed and shut the laptop cover without thinking about it.

If Shimano is going to release a USB-capable charging product, it needs to work safely with ALL USB ports, laptop or other. FULL STOP. It's also not that hard to do just a little more expensive.

As far as how the lower current can cause a fire, I'm speculating, but it likely goes back to a crappy charger design. The dc-dc convertor in their charger is probably becoming unstable at low current levels and dissipates all the incoming power as heat rather than passing it into the di2 battery.
More important: people need to read the supplied instructions before using things they buy.

+1 for the crappy charger design though.
Old 01-18-23, 07:37 AM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4388 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts

Because I have a PC and laptop sitting right on my desk (typing this reply) and they have loads of USB ports. So I'll turn your question 180 deg and ask why the eff would I bother plugging a "brick" USB adaptor into the wall when I've got half a dozen USB ports right here on my computers?

Anyway, this makes me glad I chose SRAM AXS as I've been charging the SRAM batteries from my desktop pc.
Old 01-18-23, 07:52 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Because I have a PC and laptop sitting right on my desk (typing this reply) and they have loads of USB ports. So I'll turn your question 180 deg and ask why the eff would I bother plugging a "brick" USB adaptor into the wall when I've got half a dozen USB ports right here on my computers?

Anyway, this makes me glad I chose SRAM AXS as I've been charging the SRAM batteries from my desktop pc.
I guess that depends on where it's more convenient to bring your bike to - a wall outlet or your PC or laptop.
Old 01-18-23, 08:37 AM
PeteHski

I guess that depends on where it's more convenient to bring your bike to - a wall outlet or your PC or laptop.
Another reason why I prefer SRAM electronics.
Old 01-18-23, 10:22 AM
eduskator

Another reason why I prefer SRAM electronics.
I also prefer the SRAM interface. However, in terms of build quality and smoothness, Ultegra DI2 is above SRAM Force, and that's why I stay with Shimano. I also prefer the fact that you can just plug the bike so it recharges the hidden battery, while with SRAM you need to remove 2 batteries and recharge them (and more often than Shimano). Shimano is also generally more expensive, but man, Ultegra and DA are pieces of art.

Never tried SRAM Red, though!
Old 01-18-23, 10:56 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by eduskator
I also prefer the SRAM interface. However, in terms of build quality and smoothness, Ultegra DI2 is above SRAM Force, and that's why I stay with Shimano. I also prefer the fact that you can just plug the bike so it recharges the hidden battery, while with SRAM you need to remove 2 batteries and recharge them (and more often than Shimano). Shimano is also generally more expensive, but man, Ultegra and DA are pieces of art.

Never tried SRAM Red, though!
I actually prefer the 2 external batteries. They go long enough on a charge not to bother me and I like the redundancy and ease of charging (my bike doesn't sit near a convenient wall socket). But it's not a big deal, I could live with either system.

I can believe Shimano build quality is above SRAM, but I'm very happy with SRAM Force. It was faultless for me last season and I much prefer it to the Shimano 105 R7000 on my other bike - mainly due to the electronic shifting and paddle interface. I haven't ridden the latest Di2 groupsets, but they do look good.
Old 01-18-23, 12:42 PM
tomato coupe

With SRAM, you remove the batteries and take them to the charger, yes? Is it the same with Shimano, or do you have to bring the charger to the bike?
Old 01-18-23, 12:54 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9652 Post(s)
Liked 6,364 Times in 3,504 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
With SRAM, you remove the batteries and take them to the charger, yes? Is it the same with Shimano, or do you have to bring the charger to the bike?
Hook the charger to the bike. You could remove your battery and take it to the charger, but that would get old the first time.
Old 01-18-23, 12:56 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3225 Post(s)
Liked 2,056 Times in 1,174 Posts
Or the bike to the charger. My bikes hang on hooks in my basement. I have a countertop with an AC power tap and USB taps, the Di2 charger plugs in there, as does the SRAM AXS rear derailer battery charger, and my Garmin and Hammerhead USB C charger cables. I move my Di2 bikes to the charger and plug in.
Old 01-18-23, 02:39 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
I park my bikes near my workbench in the garage. I keep a couple wall warts (capable of delivering adequate amperage, thank you very much) plugged into the wall outlets, with the necessary cables plugged in. When I need to charge my lights, computer, or bike (DI2), I've got everything I need right there. My bike also has the bar-end junction box, so the bike just leans against the workbench. It's convenient, since (for some reason), I only get about 400-500 miles before my system is down to 30% or so -- which means I'm charging it every few weeks if I'm not riding my other bikes very much.
Old 01-18-23, 02:52 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

You could take the Shimano battery out, but since it fits inside the seat tube, it's easier just to take the bike to your power source.
Old 01-18-23, 02:53 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

I can believe Shimano build quality is above SRAM, but I'm very happy with SRAM Force.
Be careful putting in and taking out the batteries. There are reports of flimsy tabs breaking off.
Old 01-18-23, 03:27 PM
PeteHski

Be careful putting in and taking out the batteries. There are reports of flimsy tabs breaking off.
Thanks for that tip. One of my riding buddies said exactly the same thing. So I'm now always careful not to push down on the battery when clipping them in. I can see how the tabs could snap off if you didn't pay attention.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.