Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What to look for in a 30c tubeless tire.

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-09-23, 05:05 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts

Venturing on from 25c’s with a new bike.

looking to strike a happy medium between grip, rolling resistance, durability, and cost.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 01-09-23, 05:12 PM
ratell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I would peruse https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/
I have been very happy with Pirelli Race tires and people love Continental GP5000. Neither one is cheap though.
Old 01-09-23, 06:20 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
Been running the Pirelli P Zero Race TLR's for a little over a yr now and really like them. I have them in 28's on my Emonda and run the 30's on my Domane.

Old 01-09-23, 06:23 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
I've used 28 and 30mm P-zero tubeless. Great tires. I got two for $98 at excel sports.
Old 01-09-23, 08:08 PM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts
Check out the Schwalbe Pro One too - much easier to install than the Contis if you’re doing it yourself.
Old 01-10-23, 10:31 AM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 276 Posts
Been very happy with my Enve SES tires in a 700x29 (they also come in 700x31)... https://www.enve.com/product/ses-road-tire/
But you can't go wrong with the recommendations above as well.
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 01-10-23, 12:31 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
The newer Conti GP 5000 S TR is very easy to install on my Zipp 303S rims - no tools needed. I would avoid the older TL version of this tire, which ride great but was extremely difficult to mount. The TL wasn't available in 30mm so this shouldn't be an issue.

I'll probably try the Perelli P-Zero Race TLR or Schawlbe Pro-One for my next set, just to try something new. I've been running 28mm but would consider 30mm.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 01-11-23, 09:40 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 117 Posts
Tire choice will depend on the rim if your rims are hookless. In that case, you choices are more limited. I have been (on hookless rims) been running the Maxxis Re-Fuse. Tough tires but feel a bit wooden, so I ordered some Pirelli Cinturato Velos. The Continental TLs will not work with my rims but I also ordered those for my bike that has hooked rims. I avoid the Schwalbe Pro Ones and the Conti TRs since they appear to be a bit too thin and fragile for me, and I am often far from home but they ride great. Well, I have not ridden the TRs but Contis seem to ride well. Decide if you want outright speed or a good compromise tire that is a bit tougher and durable but still fast enough. A friend is on the ENVEs but recently got them so while they ride well, we have no experience with toughness or durability. Where I live, the roads and paths are very clean so if a tire fails often, it simply sucks...like the Schwalbe Pro One flats I had...very fragile.
Old 01-11-23, 09:48 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
I'd look at the Vittoria N.EXT as well -- it seems pretty favorably reviewed for speed and grip.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 01-11-23, 10:12 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
looking to strike a happy medium between grip, rolling resistance, durability, and cost.
I've never struck a happy medium between grip, rolling resistance, durability unless they cost.
Old 01-11-23, 02:36 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by Chandne
Tire choice will depend on the rim if your rims are hookless. In that case, you choices are more limited. I have been (on hookless rims) been running the Maxxis Re-Fuse. Tough tires but feel a bit wooden, so I ordered some Pirelli Cinturato Velos. The Continental TLs will not work with my rims but I also ordered those for my bike that has hooked rims. I avoid the Schwalbe Pro Ones and the Conti TRs since they appear to be a bit too thin and fragile for me, and I am often far from home but they ride great. Well, I have not ridden the TRs but Contis seem to ride well. Decide if you want outright speed or a good compromise tire that is a bit tougher and durable but still fast enough. A friend is on the ENVEs but recently got them so while they ride well, we have no experience with toughness or durability. Where I live, the roads and paths are very clean so if a tire fails often, it simply sucks...like the Schwalbe Pro One flats I had...very fragile.
I've not noticed any difference in durability between the Conti GP5000 S TR and the GP5000 TL. I rode a pair of S TR's throughout 2022 and put several thousand miles on them without a single flat.

I'm curious to know what other tires you're feeling limited on due to hookless? I have hookless rims as well and the only tire I encountered that wasn't compatible was the Conti GP5000 TL, which they solved with the release of the S TR. I'm sure there are others, I'm just not familiar with which ones.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 01-11-23, 02:42 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 117 Posts
Check these links:

https://www.sram.com/en/zipp/campaig...-compatibility

https://www.enve.com/learn/tire-compatibility/

I have not had personal experience with the TRs. I heard of several guys complaining locally and online so I asked the lcal Conti rep when I ran into him at my local shop, and he said they were thinner and lighter than the TLs...and faster. I assume that is why they flat more than the TLs. I probably would not flat on them so I am open to them but will try the Cinturato Velos first. They apparently roll pretty fast and are more puncture-resistant.

EDIT: Thanks for relaying your experience with the TRs. I'll probably try them next. It is just that I ride a lot of the mountain passes in the summer and fall. I'm usually pretty far from the car with no chance of an Uber or bus or anything. I try to not go with tires I think may be a bit too thin. My favorite tubed tire is still the GP400s and I have a stock of them- 25s that measure 28 usually or really close. I have those on my oldest bike.

Last edited by Chandne; 01-11-23 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-11-23, 03:17 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Another rider here that is enjoying the Conti GP5000 S TR 30c tubeless. I got them right when they came out and had only one flat which sealed well enough. The durability seems fine 2000 miles or so in with them. Mounting is easy, not too tight and not too loose. My previous tires were the Specialized S-Works Turbo Rapidair 30c, those gripped a touch better but wore too fast to squared tops. The latest (2022) version of those is supposed to wear better as I think it was a common complaint of them.
Likes For scottfsmith:
Old 01-11-23, 09:55 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I've never struck a happy medium between grip, rolling resistance, durability unless they cost.
Cost is obviously relative are we talking $70 tires or $120 tires?

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 01-11-23, 10:24 PM
force10

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I'd look at the Vittoria N.EXT as well -- it seems pretty favorably reviewed for speed and grip.
Ive been happy with them for speed, grip, cost and feel. I’m unsure about durability but they don’t feel like they’ll be super durable.
Old 01-11-23, 10:51 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Check Lord Gun for great prices on Tires. The Pirelli Factory or shipping or something is basically next door or down the road, but they also carry other brands as well and they generally ship the same day of the order. They ship to the states using Fedex Overnight and can get my tires in 3 days to Florida from Italy for $18. I can't get that service in the states unless I pay $50+. Looks like both the Pirelli's are running around $45 per and the Conti's are running about $62 per at the moment. I picked some Pirelli's a few months ago for less than $40 when they were on super sale even though I did not need them, but now I have spares if and when I need them. They do this on occasion where they really reduce the pricing. Pirelli has a 30mm, but Conti's are 28's and 32's for the GP5K's.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 01-11-23, 11:36 PM
BMC_Kid 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 146 Posts
I just bought and mounted a pair of Pirelli Cinturato Velo TLR tubeless in 28mm on a Pinarello Montello I just fished building up. Mounted on the Stan’s rims, they measure 29.85mm. I’ve only just ridden them today for about 20 miles but I’m very impressed with the cushiness versus the Continental GP 5000 TLs in 25mm they replaced. Also, the fact they should be much more puncture resistant is another factor in me going with them.

Likes For BMC_Kid:
Old 01-12-23, 05:07 AM
jaxgtr

That is a sweet looking bike.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 01-12-23, 09:23 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadco
Cost is obviously relative are we talking $70 tires or $120 tires?

If I were to look at current tire prices I'd probably go into shock. I've still got tires on the shelf that I bought in 2019. However I've been happy with the tubed version of the GP 5000's I've been using. They seem to wear long, don't puncture easily as I've gone through several that lasted till I wore a hole through them. And they are pretty easy on the legs not requiring much to move them.

Curiosity might have me getting something a tad more expensive this next time though. And many of the recommendations in this thread are tires I've been looking at. However when looking to purchase, if you are buying online, then those GP5000's I bought were half the price of most every place else selling GP 5000's. I bought them from BikeCloset. Although I've since noticed that some other online sellers were and are currently able to match their prices.

I can't really relate to 70 - $120 either without knowing what tire you are asking about. When someone says they paid $xx for a tire here, I can almost always find that same tire for half what they paid.

Last edited by Iride01; 01-12-23 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-12-23, 02:27 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by Iride01
If I were to look at current tire prices I'd probably go into shock. I've still got tires on the shelf that I bought in 2019. However I've been happy with the tubed version of the GP 5000's I've been using. They seem to wear long, don't puncture easily as I've gone through several that lasted till I wore a hole through them. And they are pretty easy on the legs not requiring much to move them.

Curiosity might have me getting something a tad more expensive this next time though. And many of the recommendations in this thread are tires I've been looking at. However when looking to purchase, if you are buying online, then those GP5000's I bought were half the price of most every place else selling GP 5000's. I bought them from BikeCloset. Although I've since noticed that some other online sellers were and are currently able to match their prices.

I can't really relate to 70 - $120 either without knowing what tire you are asking about. When someone says they paid $xx for a tire here, I can almost always find that same tire for half what they paid.
Oh nice, that BikeCloset joint is a price matcher...

Old 01-19-23, 03:38 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4272 Post(s)
Liked 4,707 Times in 2,907 Posts
I've run the latest Conti GP5000 S TR (30c), Pirelli P-Zero Race TLR (30c) and Pirelli Cinturato Velo (32c) over the last 3 seasons. I like the Contis best overall and had no punctures over several thousand miles. The P-Zeros proved too fragile for my use and I picked up serious cuts on both in short order. The Cinturatos are bomb-proof and super-grippy, but a little less supple. They make a great daily training/winter tyre.
Likes For PeteHski: