Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Immersive waxing / it should be more popular

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Immersive waxing / it should be more popular

Old 01-16-23, 04:03 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3340 Post(s)
Liked 3,439 Times in 1,738 Posts
Originally Posted by CrowSeph
wth... this [drivetrain lubricant] is so expensive imho
Expensive?

Zero Friction Cycling tested the cost of these lubricants in use.

Estimated cost of lube over 10,000 km:

Effetto Mariposa Flower Power: $33.64
Rex Black Diamond: $26.98
Squirt: $27.00
Boeshield T-9 Aerosol: $56.23

Everyone's concept of "expensive" is different. But compared to the price of many other consumable road bike things, none of these seems expensive.

Old 01-16-23, 05:06 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
My paraffin based dry lube costs pennies per ounce. The ridiculous price of chain lubes is what prompted me to make my own. It's very clean, but must be warmed up in hot tap water to change it from a mush to a liquid with water-like viscosity. A cold chain won't work either.

That $20 bottle of Flower Power would cost me more like 20 cents.
Old 02-17-23, 08:50 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Reviving this thread...

Oz Cycle uploaded his first video in 2 months. ''On the go'' liquid wax with paraffin & naphtha.

Happy viewing!
Old 02-17-23, 11:30 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
[QUOTE=eduskator;22803284]Reviving this thread...

Oz Cycle uploaded his first video in 2 months. ''On the go'' liquid wax with paraffin & naphtha./QUOTE]
I liked his vids on bearing presses and such. He does lots of homemade work-arounds. Knowledgeable guy.
Old 02-17-23, 12:48 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Reviving this thread...

Oz Cycle uploaded his first video in 2 months. ''On the go'' liquid wax with paraffin & naphtha.
Alternatively, you could just spend $6 for that bottle of Finish Line on his workbench ...
Old 02-17-23, 02:16 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
I will watch this later .... and then do my part to keep this disease spreading.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 02-20-23, 06:47 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
[QUOTE=SpedFast;22803457]
Reviving this thread...

Oz Cycle uploaded his first video in 2 months. ''On the go'' liquid wax with paraffin & naphtha./QUOTE]
I liked his vids on bearing presses and such. He does lots of homemade work-arounds. Knowledgeable guy.
Yes! Stephen is a great DIYer to follow & learn from.
Old 02-20-23, 09:25 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Reviving this thread...

Happy viewing! Wax your chain anywhere - make it yourself - YouTube
Should we immerse ourselves in this video?

Old 02-20-23, 11:14 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Originally Posted by datlas
Should we immerse ourselves in this video?

Depends. Do you feel like you need waxing?
Old 04-08-23, 09:48 PM
Ryan_M

Bikes: Some

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 64 Posts
Ok You guys have my interest...

I started reading the entire thread but it's a long one, and it seemed to get into a cyclical back and forth argument re: time. So sorry I didnt read all the things!

I have looked into this before and as I understand it, it's just melt the wax, put chain in wax (and this is plain paraffin wax? like the stuff at the grocery store for 'canning'?), leave for some time and swirl chain around to work in wax, let chain drip after. All that seems fine. What put a hard stop on it for me is what I've read of life expectancy of the wax as a lube. Typical numbers have been 150-180km. That could mean doing it every ride, or when I get into really long rides the wax won't even last a single ride. What then? Carry a second chain to replace part way through the ride?
Old 04-08-23, 09:53 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Originally Posted by Ryan_M
Ok You guys have my interest...

I started reading the entire thread but it's a long one, and it seemed to get into a cyclical back and forth argument re: time. So sorry I didnt read all the things!

I have looked into this before and as I understand it, it's just melt the wax, put chain in wax (and this is plain paraffin wax? like the stuff at the grocery store for 'canning'?), leave for some time and swirl chain around to work in wax, let chain drip after. All that seems fine. What put a hard stop on it for me is what I've read of life expectancy of the wax as a lube. Typical numbers have been 150-180km. That could mean doing it every ride, or when I get into really long rides the wax won't even last a single ride. What then? Carry a second chain to replace part way through the ride?
I go @500 (800 Km) miles between waxing unless I get into rain and then sooner. Sometimes only a couple hundred miles (300kms) in the winter. I use old candles that the neighbor ladies donate to my cause and several chains for rotation. HTH
Old 04-09-23, 01:38 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked 1,412 Times in 979 Posts
... What put a hard stop on it for me is what I've read of life expectancy of the wax as a lube. Typical numbers have been 150-180km. ...
My plain paraffin wax is good for at least 250 miles.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 04-09-23, 02:48 AM
Ryan_M

Originally Posted by SpedFast
I go @500 (800 Km) miles between waxing unless I get into rain and then sooner. Sometimes only a couple hundred miles (300kms) in the winter. I use old candles that the neighbor ladies donate to my cause and several chains for rotation. HTH
This is game changing news. I'm a fair weather rider - unless I get caught unexpectedly. I may be a bit odd here but I actually like maintenance and working on my bikes to fuss over the smallest details. I love going to the garage, putting on the game, grab some pints, and try and figure out something to do for a make work project to work on the bikes. Time wise waxing vs. using wet lube is a nonissue here, though I like the idea of batch waxing and having a few chains in rotation. The fact that waxing can prevent prevent gunky dirty messes is a major draw.

I'm actually waxing a chain right now just to give it a try. These numebers are encouraging, I usually go 500km max before the chain (actually the entire drivetrain) is in the ultrasonic parts washer and getting new lube, I'm a princess WRT chain noise and smoothness. Again this is straight paraffin wax you're talking about? Some articles I've read say you need to have some additives like powdered teflon and something I can't remember.
Old 04-09-23, 05:02 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 682 Posts
This is game changing news. I'm a fair weather rider - unless I get caught unexpectedly. I may be a bit odd here but I actually like maintenance and working on my bikes to fuss over the smallest details. I love going to the garage, putting on the game, grab some pints, and try and figure out something to do for a make work project to work on the bikes. Time wise waxing vs. using wet lube is a nonissue here, though I like the idea of batch waxing and having a few chains in rotation. The fact that waxing can prevent prevent gunky dirty messes is a major draw.

I'm actually waxing a chain right now just to give it a try. These numebers are encouraging, I usually go 500km max before the chain (actually the entire drivetrain) is in the ultrasonic parts washer and getting new lube, I'm a princess WRT chain noise and smoothness. Again this is straight paraffin wax you're talking about? Some articles I've read say you need to have some additives like powdered teflon and something I can't remember.
straight paraffin is all I use. Live in high desert, never ride in rain and have gotten 800 mi between applications.
Old 04-10-23, 05:53 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked 1,412 Times in 979 Posts
This is game changing news. I'm a fair weather rider - unless I get caught unexpectedly.
Same here, as I live in southern California (with the exception of this past winter).

I may be a bit odd here but I actually like maintenance and working on my bikes to fuss over the smallest details. I love going to the garage, putting on the game, grab some pints, and try and figure out something to do for a make work project to work on the bikes. Time wise waxing vs. using wet lube is a nonissue here, though I like the idea of batch waxing and having a few chains in rotation.
The only time-consuming part of chain waxing is the initial cleaning, which (at most) only has to be done once with a new chain. Some waxers even skip the initial cleaning step.

The fact that waxing can prevent prevent gunky dirty messes is a major draw.

A big advantage of immersion waxing is drivetrain cleanliness. With straight paraffin I am good for at least 250 miles, often 300 miles. With immersion waxing the character of the chain noise is different than oil based lubricant. Using Silca Secret Chain Blend, Molten Speed Wax, or adding your PTFE or Tungsten Disulfide supposedly reduces friction even further but who knows whether you can feel or see that last half percent? I bought a bag of the former but given that straight paraffin has been working just fine, I have not even opened it yet.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 05-10-23, 07:11 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 84 Posts
Haven't been here for a while as all my time was taken up watching the crock pot.

A few more thousand km on my MSW chains by now and still no sign of wear.

And I've seen a few more immersive waxing advocates around the interwebs and realworldwebs.

Some even had rim brake bikes
Likes For yaw:
Old 05-10-23, 07:22 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
for no reason other than *because I can* ; I've taken a new chain, cleaned it from factory sticky goo gunk mcgee, hot bathed it in silca's super secret hot melt wax, & after every ride, gave it a fresh clean & bath in the wax again & again.

As expected, it's pretty clean to the touch, even after the nastiest ride using the above method. Not noisy. Shifting not negatively impacted, & the ordeal has kept me more out on the bicycle than messin off breaking other stuff.
Old 05-10-23, 08:01 PM
Ryan_M

I've waxed a few chains now and I think I'll continue with it. Long term we'll see how it goes, but so far so good
Not sure what the rim brake comment is all about.
Likes For Ryan_M:
Old 05-10-23, 08:09 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Originally Posted by Troul
for no reason other than *because I can* ; I've taken a new chain, cleaned it from factory sticky goo gunk mcgee, hot bathed it in silca's super secret hot melt wax, & after every ride, gave it a fresh clean & bath in the wax again & again.

As expected, it's pretty clean to the touch, even after the nastiest ride using the above method. Not noisy. Shifting not negatively impacted, & the ordeal has kept me more out on the bicycle than messin off breaking other stuff.
I may just be misinterpreting your words but I hope by 'fresh clean' you do not mean the whole solvent ordeal each time? That's just a one off step for the initial prep to make sure the wax goes on the bare metal. It is sufficient to just wipe the chain with a microfibre cloth to get the dust off, or even skip that step entirely and dip it straight into the wax. Please do not solvent clean it each time, if that is what you are doing. And unless your rides are 200km+ each time, or in terrible weather, dipping the chain after each ride would be overkill.

Ryan_M just stirring the crock pot with that comment, don't mind me!
Old 05-10-23, 08:37 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by yaw
I may just be misinterpreting your words but I hope by 'fresh clean' you do not mean the whole solvent ordeal each time? That's just a one off step for the initial prep to make sure the wax goes on the bare metal. It is sufficient to just wipe the chain with a microfibre cloth to get the dust off, or even skip that step entirely and dip it straight into the wax. Please do not solvent clean it each time, if that is what you are doing. And unless your rides are 200km+ each time, or in terrible weather, dipping the chain after each ride would be overkill.

Ryan_M just stirring the crock pot with that comment, don't mind me!
that is the point of why; because I can. Next chain I may just dirty wax it after the initial clean after every ride followed by the secrete drip wax.
Old 05-10-23, 09:33 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Been following this thread from time to time and reading more about this so decided this week to take the plunge using silca hot wax. I soaked my 12yo's and 10yo's track chains figuring they're the easiest to start with. First soaked both in finish line citrus degreaser which I strained with a coffee filter after, there are a lot of gunk in it even for track chains which surprised me. Rinsed off with dawn and hot water, wiped dry and soaked for 1/2 hour in my new 2qt star wars crock pot, stirring occasionally. Once they were cool enough to touch I tossed them on the bikes and spun the cranks. Seems to be working fine. Won't really know if it'll make a difference with saving watts since they don't have good benchmarks to begin with and this wasn't the only change made to the 12yo's bike before she uses it next.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 05-11-23, 12:11 AM
yaw
should be more popular

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Once they were cool enough to touch I tossed them on the bikes and spun the cranks. Seems to be working fine.
It is best to hang the chain up (ideally above the pot when you pull it out, so the remaining drips go back into the pot) to cool down completely so the wax can set hard.

You then later just break the links, which will be stuck solid due to the hardened wax, and only then put the chain on.

That way you can be sure that all internal surfaces remain coated and surfaces wear wax on wax, if you install a chain with the wax still warm and malleable it may squeeze out as you spin the cranks. I don't think this would be the end of the world, but it sounds messier on the hands and drivetrain versus just dealing with a completely set chain.
Old 05-11-23, 12:17 AM
yaw
should be more popular

that is the point of why; because I can. Next chain I may just dirty wax it after the initial clean after every ride followed by the secrete drip wax.
Sure, I "can" do that too, but it does not make much sense given that the hot wax will flush out the old wax anyway, so all you really have to be concerned about is wiping the dust off the exterior of the chain to keep the wax in the pot cleaner for a bit longer, although there are methods to clean up the wax in the pot periodically if you want to skip that 2 second step. I haven't had to change my wax in a year and sometimes wipe, sometimes don't.

If you play around with a full clean each time, you are not really getting any benefit from that, and will more likely introduce cleaning product or solvent residue into the chain and wax. The initial clean is to strip factory grease or retrogrouch oil, beyond that it has no use since the next wax bath will completely clear out and re-coat the chain.

The only deviation here is that if you have an extremely caked or muddy chain, it can make sense to flush the chain with boiling water first to get the gunk off, then wipe it and immerse it in wax. Any residual water inside the links will evaporate out.
Old 05-11-23, 07:11 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by yaw
Sure, I "can" do that too, but it does not make much sense given that the hot wax will flush out the old wax anyway, so all you really have to be concerned about is wiping the dust off the exterior of the chain to keep the wax in the pot cleaner for a bit longer, although there are methods to clean up the wax in the pot periodically if you want to skip that 2 second step. I haven't had to change my wax in a year and sometimes wipe, sometimes don't.

If you play around with a full clean each time, you are not really getting any benefit from that, and will more likely introduce cleaning product or solvent residue into the chain and wax. The initial clean is to strip factory grease or retrogrouch oil, beyond that it has no use since the next wax bath will completely clear out and re-coat the chain.

The only deviation here is that if you have an extremely caked or muddy chain, it can make sense to flush the chain with boiling water first to get the gunk off, then wipe it and immerse it in wax. Any residual water inside the links will evaporate out.
lately the rides have been mucky & wet.
I let the chain dry before its dunked for a wax bath.
Old 05-11-23, 11:41 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by yaw
Haven't been here for a while as all my time was taken up watching the crock pot.
Wasn't it you who came here and said how little time this hot waxing process took? And don't you know that a watched pot never boils?

...........after every ride, gave it a fresh clean & bath in the wax again & again.
Yikes. You must be really bored.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.