Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Pinarello Gan 105 or Domane SL5

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-13-23, 02:36 PM
WT21

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts

Have a Domane ALR4 now - Aluminum with Tiagra. Looking at an upgrade.

Was looking at a Domane SL 5 Gen 3, but just came across the Pinarello Gan 105. The geometry is a bit different, but the Pinarello is way cooler looking and about $800 cheaper. Don't care much about disc brakes.

Trying to figure out if anything I'm missing anything here???
Old 01-13-23, 02:38 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 280 Posts
Treks have lifetime warranties, I believe... Not sure on the Pina. But I'd just buy the one that speaks to you more. You'll ride it more if you love it.
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 01-13-23, 02:45 PM
WT21

Originally Posted by Caliwild
Treks have lifetime warranties, I believe... Not sure on the Pina. But I'd just buy the one that speaks to you more. You'll ride it more if you love it.
huh. Did not know that. But the Pina is not just talking, but screaming at me. At least from online. I'll see it in person tomorrow.
Likes For WT21:
Old 01-13-23, 02:56 PM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts
I have the Pinarello Marvel, which was replaced by the Gan. It replaced my old Domane. The Marvel has rim brakes, not discs. Incredibly different rides, but I am so happy that I went with the Marvel. There’s just a certain joy in riding that bike (and my 60.1) that I never got from my Treks and Specialized bikes.
Likes For thin_concrete:
Old 01-13-23, 04:16 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
I don't want or need anyone screaming at me. I would test ride some bikes and see which one you like the best. I am not a big modern Pinarello fan and Treks aren't my thing but you have to test ride them and maybe try some other stuff as well and make your decision after test riding.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-13-23, 08:56 PM
WT21

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I am not a big modern Pinarello fan
Any reason?
Old 01-13-23, 09:46 PM
Baron Blubba

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
The Gan is a great bike. Not the fastest thing out there, but very balanced and with plenty of zip for an endurance bike. Just keep in mind that it runs a little large, so definitely test ride extensively before settling on a frame size. If you typically ride a 56, you might be more comfortable on a 54 Gan.
Likes For Baron Blubba:
Old 01-14-23, 06:29 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by WT21

Was looking at a Domane SL 5 Gen 3, but just came across the Pinarello Gan 105. The geometry is a bit different, but the Pinarello is way cooler looking and about $800 cheaper. Don't care much about disc brakes.

Just a different way to spend the money.. consider dropping the same money for an Ultegra Di2 groupset and some carbon wheels.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 01-20-23, 01:25 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
love my Gan S, even done a double century on it. Great bike and looks sharp to me. Geo is race fit, unlike the Domane. So depends how you like your bike fits, but I think there are 9 different sizes to pick from. Well at least in my model yr.

Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Likes For jsigone:
Old 01-20-23, 07:29 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I wouldn't invest in a rim brake frame. The biggest improvement in the ride of any bike comes from using wider tubeless tires at lower pressures on wider hookless rims. With 25mm internal width hookless rims, 28-32mm tires can be run at low pressures without increased rolling resistance. I run 28mm tires at 52/56 psi based on the zipp pressure calculator. Rim brake calipers usually won't allow a 28mm tire that measures 31mm on a 25mm IW rim. Component manufacturers are all supporting disc brake frames now.

The Paris is the current endurance model. It has typical tall stack and short reach geometry and like most brands, the frame size numbers mean nothing.

https://pinarello.com/usa/en/bikes/r...ometrie_anchor

Last edited by DaveSSS; 01-20-23 at 07:51 AM.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 01-20-23, 11:52 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Originally Posted by WT21

Geometry is different, you said it. That's what you'll be missing if you ignore it. The Gan is a slighty more aggressive fit. So if you aren't wanting that, then you will dork up the "cooler" looks of the Gan with weirdly angled stem and maybe extender for the steerer tube if you desire a relaxed fit.

And if you are desiring a more relaxed fit, there are other bikes that will do that better than the Domane. However either is a good bike for the average person wanting a fit somewhere between relaxed and very aggressive. Don't fear the disc brakes.
Old 01-29-23, 09:39 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I don't want or need anyone screaming at me. I would test ride some bikes and see which one you like the best. I am not a big modern Pinarello fan and Treks aren't my thing but you have to test ride them and maybe try some other stuff as well and make your decision after test riding.
Me neither. I prefer a quiet ride.

I agree about test ride before you buy.
Likes For Lombard: